PDA

View Full Version : hypervoxels question

wozzyke
09-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi ppl,
I havn't posted much in here because I'm affraid everybody will laugh at me because I'm one of the newbies who is trying to learn LW. Ok I'm making a wasp with goggles and a jetpack on his back. Now is the problem that I need an jet effect behind the jetpack (engines). I read the manual about hypervoxels and thought that would be the sollution, and I tried the tutorial in there, but I seems to me that is only creates an sphere shaped cloud.
The one I want to achieve is a cone shaped cloud of very hot air comming out of the engines.

Is there someone who can tell me how to do that?

thanks annyway

wozz :cool:

Mattoo
09-17-2002, 12:30 PM
If you just want to create the hot air, no flame or anything, you could model the shape of the cone, make it quite subdivided.
Then make it virtually transparent with some refraction, perhaps some really soft specularity, add some edge fallof and then run a displacement map across it, animated of course.
Render it, making sure you've got raytrace refraction turned on.

Well that's how I'd do it without needing to leave LW, but it could be a bit nasty with the render times.
If you've got some decent post software you'd probably want to make a matte object for the area and fake the refraction with filters.

I'm sure there's other ways of achieving the effect however.

red_oddity
09-17-2002, 01:39 PM
First off all, nobody is gonna laugh at you just because you're a so called 'newbie', we've all been there.

Second off all, it is wise to fisrt search some of the tutorial sites on the web before posting something that might have been answered before, so here are some sites and links:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/links/index.html
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
http://www.flay.com
(especially 'Flay' and 'Lightwave Tutorials on the Web' answer most of your questions or provide the proper links, just check the special effects tutorials for a engine exhaust heat tut.)

alaklij
09-18-2002, 08:39 AM
Parent a particle emitter to the component of your model you would like to have 'particles' fly out of, then 'activate' the object in you hypervoxels panel. Now drag your character around to see a trail of smoke or flame or whatever you make it look like.

Play around with combining particles and voxels.

wozzyke
09-18-2002, 09:38 AM
thanks Alaklij, got that respons also from another person, but I dont know if its possible to make a realistic looking jet engine for a still, it couls be better for an animation, but thats what I think, and I'm a newbie so I can't really say what is going to be good or not good.

Red oddity, I looked for the tutorial on the famous site with that much tutorials and found the one ypu told me to have a look at, but I stopped reading it after ten lines or something, because I did not understand it and dont like a full written tutorial, I like the ones with pictures better.

annyway thanks ppl. I'll search for it and hope I will get somewhere(within a few years) :bounce:

wozz

yog
09-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Hypervoxels wouldn't be my first choice.

If I wanted quick render times I would go with a modelled cone, multiple layers of moving transparency (fractal noise works well) and a small amount of fractal displacement. This method may come under the "quick and nasty" catagory, but it has been used for many TV productions in the past.

If I wanted a bit more realism and wasn't so worried about the render times I would parent a volumetric light to the back of the jet pack. You can get a lot of different effects with volumetric lights.
Here's a tutorial for creating fire with a volumetric light
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/specialfx/volumetric_fire/volumetric_fire.html
Not exactly what your looking for, but it gives you some idea of what is possible and will point you in the right direction.

wozzyke
09-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks Yog I will try that one , but I need a really real looking effect and also the effect when you look through it you see the background deformed.
Will try the tutorial you showed me and hopefully it works.
Thanks man

this is what I have so far...

wozz

wozzyke
09-18-2002, 11:01 PM
OK its also in the WIP gallery with two pictures of better quality
have a look there and tell me what you ppl think of this...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21528

wozz

Mattoo
09-19-2002, 10:39 AM
It's looking good so far, especially if this is a first go.

But simply put, if you want a jet engine like effect (like a blow torch) then use the subdivided cone idea.
If you want tons of smoke and flame then a particle emitter and hypervoxels are your friend and there's plenty of presets in LW for that and loads of tutorials out there to help you out.

MK2
09-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Do you know how the Particle Emitter works?
Use the Vector Option to create a jetstream like thing...
you dont have to use the volumetric voxels sometimes the Spritemode with Clips on it looks fine...

Iam also using the Cone Technique for jetengine and an emmiter for smoke stuff...
a blueish cone for the engines fire, one bigger cone for these heatwaves...

A good thing can be if you search for pictures of aircrafts flying and trying to copy engines fire in LW. If your happy with the result add it to your bee.

mk

PresidentEvil
09-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Maybe you could go and have a look at the blow torch tut on the dvgarage site.
Evil

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.