PDA

View Full Version : Dell to Release 24" Flat Panel @ $1199

BillB
02-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Just realised I hadn't seen this mentioned here :

"Now Dell has decided to drop the price bomb. The UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch widescreen LCD will cost a measly (by comparison) US$1,199. It's the classic Dell approach: Not pioneering a new market or category, but entering it later and at high volume, usually with a significantly lower price."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/monitors/topics/en/monitor_feature?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=hied
(Sorry for the long link...)

Dang but this thing looks sweet. Forget dual monitors!

JDex
02-23-2005, 02:33 AM
I just shat a brick!

Okay... I may (I'll repeat, may) need to rethink my Apple Cinema Display plans...

I wonder where I could see one of these in person?

BadgerSundae
02-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Amazing! I think my twin 17" LCDs will have to do for now though, given my poor student status.

Re: Long Links
Check out TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/

~ Matt

BillB
02-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I just shat a brick!

Okay... I may (I'll repeat, may) need to rethink my Apple Cinema Display plans...

I wonder where I could see one of these in person?

Yeah, these don't look as sexy as the Apple, but better spec's.

They're released on March 1st, do they have Dell stores in the US where you could see one?
Saw the HP equivalent yesterday, playing some HD footage. Dang, talk about sweet.'

Nando
02-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Ya, i purchased a 19inch LCD ages ago from Dell and was happy at the price then 600 when they were 1100. US

Was about to upgrade to a 21 inch this Xmass for 550ish, but heard a rumor about the 23/24 inch.

with Dell coupons and other deals it might be had for maybe 900ish

;)

Dell makes great LCD's
or should I say great Rebadged LCD's
:D

lanedaughtry
02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
I've been waiting for just this type of thing to upgrade.

These are going to look so pretty on my desk.

-L

SheepFactory
02-23-2005, 04:03 AM
very nice! i should sell my 2001 fp and pick up one of those.

peanuckle
02-23-2005, 04:07 AM
This looks very nice. I have been looking for something to replace my Giant 100 pount CRT.

vrf
02-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Wow, what a price drop.

Must... put... credit... card... away....

Anyone know how these Dell LCDs are for critical color work?

Jackdeth
02-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Don't trust a LCD for color. I've got a few of the Sonys, and they are really good as far as LCD go, but it still is far from a CRT.

Dam Sony for dis-continuing the 24" CRT....

lanedaughtry
02-23-2005, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I'm always authoring for consoles so I have the "luxury" of having to test out to production set anyways.

-L

BillB
02-23-2005, 05:20 AM

LCD's are getting better as JackDeth says they're not as good as CRT's. Depends what you're doing. There's a great article on ExtremeTech about the ins and outs :

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1752639,00.asp

It's incredible in-depth and pretty technical, but there's an index :)

Basically, you can do good work on them, and I know at least one designer who uses nothing but a Powerbook LCD to work on. That said, if you're doing super critical stuff like film grading or press work, you really need CRT. For most TV stuff, you'd probably be fine, if you calibrated it well. As a dealer pointed out to me, most home-theatre big-screen people aren't watching on a CRT anyway!

Nothing to stop you running a small second monitor to check your colour grade on, if you can wedge another card. If you're genuinely concerned about colour for video work, you'll be using a Decklink or some such running to a broadcast spec monitor anyway.

bentllama
02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
i already have dual 2100fp's at home...and love them...so I think I will spend the cash on the new Cintiq instead...

smoothoperator
02-23-2005, 04:44 PM
JDex I'm thinking of getting an Apple Cinema Display too...but I'm waiting to see if they respond to the new monitors being released with a new price drop. If not...then I think I'll buy a Dell 24' or even some other ones I read about. Seems to me if I can buy a 24' at more than half of Apple's price. ( photoshop + painter work ). then heck...that's what I'll do. Esp seeing as how the specs of the other screens seem better than Apples. brightness and contrast for one. April/May we should see some response from Apple. this will decided my purchase.

+smooth+

KolbyJukes
02-23-2005, 04:51 PM
....must resist. MUST RESIST!

boy that looks great. Really puts my 19" LCD to shame.

-K.

polygun
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
*sigh* right when I think I'm about to buy Brazil, something like this pops up. Some higher being is trying to tell me something :shrug:

ToddD
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Anyone know---Will my quadro 750 xgl support that native resolution? I have been toying with the idea of dual 21" dells, but this would be nice!
EDIT:
Seems it will but I'm not 100% sure :)

Xevious
02-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Whats next? a 36 inch screen? Wow...thats something to think about...

BillB
02-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Anyone know---Will my quadro 750 xgl support that native resolution? I have been toying with the idea of dual 21" dells, but this would be nice!
EDIT:
Seems it will but I'm not 100% sure :)

Supported Display Graphics - VGA (640x480), XGA (1024x768), SVGA (800x600), SXGA (1280x1024), SXGAW (1600x1024), UXGA (1600x1200), HDTV (1920x1080), QXGA (2048x1536), 1152x864, 1280x960, 1920x1200, 1920x1440, 1600x900, 1280x720
So should be just fine.

BillB
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Any bigger than 24" and I think you'd start to have neck strain issues just looking from one side to the other!

ToddD
02-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks Bill!:thumbsup:

lyndon
02-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know about these widescreen monitors and the picture in picture mode -

I mean can you have something at 4:3 and then another section of the screen showing somthing else like on a plasma TV? Also what happens if the thing your looking at was not meant for widescreen, does it add black borders to the sides?

Could you get two PCs displaying on the same screen, and kind of make your own dual monitor?

I was thinking about getting an LCD display, but the price put me off - This seems like a bargin!

embodiedform
02-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Any bigger than 24" and I think you'd start to have neck strain issues just looking from one side to the other!

I don't know, I was so in the love with the 24"ers and set on getting one once the price dropped but when I saw Apples 30" I was blown away- really hard to want anything less:)

SheepFactory
02-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't know, I was so in the love with the 24"ers and set on getting one once the price dropped but when I saw Apples 30" I was blown away- really hard to want anything less:)

you can get a dual 24" for that price and still have money to spare.

xynaria
02-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Dam Sony for dis-continuing the 24" CRT....

Are they still making any monitor crt's..Mitsubishi ain't since December AFAIK and damn life is beginning to get a tad hard for those who much prefer crt's and looks like it's only gonna get worse whibb whibb whibb. ....................................

Hazdaz
02-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I am not in the market for any type of monitor... and honestly I have always favored CRTs... but having said that... WOW was my reaction when I saw this link for the DELL 2405. Could this LCD finally be what switches me from my CRTs??

Oh, and BTW, someone mentioned LCDs and color correction... well didn't LaCie just announce the first color calibrated LCD not too long ago? For you guys that need the color calibration, ya might want to check their site out.

zappenduster
02-23-2005, 11:38 PM

i own currently a 23" lcd and saw last week apples 30" in a electronic market and i must say i didnt like the apple...

its size was really nice but the whole screen was to bulky for my feelings, ll rather buy 2x24 or 23 inch lcd then the apple screen

Nando
02-24-2005, 12:07 AM
one of the other cool features that might work, is that it has Component inputs and S video.
So, games that are 1080I on ps2, or Xbox should play at full rez glory. Like GT4 :bowdown:

Maybe even the products like the HDTV tuners would work .. (speculating)
Though I think they scale down to 1280 x 1024 instead of the full 1920x 1080

beaker
02-24-2005, 03:16 AM
i own currently a 23" lcd and saw last week apples 30" in a electronic market and i must say i didnt like the apple...

its size was really nice but the whole screen was to bulky for my feelings, ll rather buy 2x24 or 23 inch lcd then the apple screenThats pretty funny considering the lcd from Apple and Dell are made by the same company(Samsung). Apple and Dell just make the packaging.

We have a 30" at work and that thing is amazing.

SheepFactory
02-24-2005, 03:24 AM
I am sure apple 30" is great but its hard to justify that price when dell is $1000 , and probably much less with coupons. Hopefully apple will lower the prices too and it'll be good for all of us.

leuey
02-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Personally I find the Apple 30'' display too big. I know, I know how could you have too much space? But once you sit in front of one of those things you reallize just how HUGE it is. The buttons and text on your app become just tiny.

-Greg

beaker
02-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Apple won't lower the price till there is some competition. The big thing they have going for them with the 30" is the resolution. Nothing out there currently does 2560x1600. The dell 24" only does 1920x1200, same as the apple & the sony 23". You can only watch full size film frames on the 30".

harlan_hill
02-24-2005, 05:43 AM
It never ceases to amaze me just how little Dell actually values their products.

ToddD
02-24-2005, 02:17 PM
harlan_hill, I guess they would rather make quick nickels than slow quarters. I agree, but plan to take advantage of the fact that they are selling this thing cheap! :)

Thalaxis
02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
It never ceases to amaze me just how little Dell actually values their products.

You haven't seen Dell's financials, obviously... this has nothing to do with value, and everything to
do with profit. The only reason Dell would launch such a product at such a price is if they could
make money on it, and move enough of them to turn that profit into raftloads of cash.

BRUTICUS
02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Where did you get the price of $1199.00 from? I can't see it anywhere on the Dell site.

Im looking onthe Dell Canada site and can't find it there either.

SheepFactory
02-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Where did you get the price of $1199.00 from? I can't see it anywhere on the Dell site.

Im looking onthe Dell Canada site and can't find it there either.

peanuckle
02-24-2005, 11:12 PM

macievelli
02-25-2005, 02:40 AM

I've been using a dell 17" Ultrasharp for several years now. I must say, the performance on it is just hard to beat. I do occasionally do work where color correctness is an issue, and haven't been let down thus far. That being said, no LCD is going to give you the color performance of a calibrated CRT. It really depends on the level of precision you require, however; Most color reproduction needs can be met with a well-adjusted LCD and adherence to a color profile that suits the output type you need. I've been running a dual setup, with my dell as primary and a CRT as secondary and for color correction, but the LCD usually does a fine job of giving me accurate color, so my CRT ends up being a palette dump for my apps and not much else.

This 24" is a serious contender to replacing my dual LCD/CRT setup if it has the same color capabilities as my current 17" ultrasharp.

MarkusM
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
The problem is that soon there won't be any CRTs left to buy. The major vendors are about to or already have stopped making them. Get yours while they last if you are desperate for color accurate monitor (to another non digital medium).

Markus

MarkusM
02-25-2005, 04:15 PM
The Apple 30" blows me away. It's just so... beautiful. Like most things Apple.
I won't buy it, too expensive, even thou I'd love to see pixel by pixel the image I am working on. However, 1920 is quite enough rez for working in. I can also get a second monitor to keep all the menus on if I have the urge. That's then 48" of 3840 pixels wide screen space. I'm jazzed.

Markus

beaker
02-25-2005, 07:01 PM
The problem is that soon there won't be any CRTs left to buy. The major vendors are about to or already have stopped making them. Get yours while they last if you are desperate for color accurate monitor (to another non digital medium).

Markus
Yes, but in a few years by the time they do get rid of all CRT's, the lcd's will be as color accurate as a CRT. The contrast ratio on that new dell 24" is 1000:1 which is the same as a CRT.

zaam
02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
If anyone here is considering the Apple 23", you might want to do a little research. I had the phone in hand waiting to order from Expercom (they cut deals) as I was reading the AppleInsider forum. Numerous people there had complained about the 23' (aluminum case) due to some odd color shifts that occurred. Apparently, a high percentage of those sold had the problem. This was back around November, so I am not sure if anything has been remedied, but I would check carefully before buying. Needless to say, I held off on the order and found the newest SONY 23" to be more promising. I was considering the SONY for a purchase next month, but the Dell looks to good to pass on.

As for the Apple 30", it's beautiful, but as mentioned earlier, you could run dual 24" Dell monitors for a lot less money. I can't understand anyone feeling like a monitor is EVER too big. I would take a wall sized unit if I could have it.

MarkusM
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I was over at my mate Doug's house running his workstation in his home theater a while back. Nothing like seeing a wall sized screen. Viewing Word documents may get a bit iffy thou. :eek:

Markus

liquidik
02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Well, every 23" on the market is suffering from this magenta/pink color shift, and also from yellow banding on the left/right side. I've seen a lot of apple aluminium cinema display 23", a benq, and bought 2 hp 2335 (asked for a refund) that also have this problem. It seems related to the panel manufacturer (LG, not samsung).

Let's just hope that this dell 24" will not suffer the same backlight issue as the 20" from dell too...

My 2C

beaker
02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
We have half a dozen of them and haven't seen the yellow banding or the magenta/pink shift on any of them. That must have been an issue with the models when they first came out. Which is why I will probably give the dell monitor 3-6 months before buying it so they can work out all the glitches.

js33
02-26-2005, 08:31 PM
That looks like a sweet monitor for $1199. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Cheers,
JS

ihavenofish
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
just to add some technical mumbo jumbo here...

the apple cinema display 23", the hp 23" screens, the sony 23", the benq 23", and of course the LG 23" glass is all made by LG-philips (the also make the 30" and 20" glass for apple, as well as the 20" dell 2005 and most of sony's line). the panel is the lm230w02 incase you were bored and wanted to find "real" specs instead of marketing. the only difference between any of these models will be in interface connectons and housing and possibly (though none that ive seen) additional colour calibration things. the early panels seemed to have backlight issues causing yellowing etc. this mostly affected apple, since they launched first. apple has recalled the screens affected, not sure about the rest. any newly purchased screen should not have this issue.

tech specs are 1920x1200 full 24 bit colour, and 16ms response time (full rise + fall. response time fudging has got to be the most blatantly abused marketing tactic in the monitor industry)

the older apple, sony and LG 23 wide monitors, had a 25ms response time.

on to samsung, who make the 24" panel (because its all about one-upmanship in lcds)
samsung's current 24" monitor on the market , the 243t, has a 25ms response making it theoretically slower than the LG. in reality the visual performance seems to be quite good from what i have heard (i have not seen one in person)

samsung has recently started production on a 24" panel with higher brightness and a 16ms response. it is not available in any current model, but it may well be the one dell will use. if this is the case, the screen should be quite nice.

price wise, the samsung has always been significantly higher than any of the LG based screens. the apple 23" has a premium for style. sony has a premium for name brand, and LG tries not to undercut its clients.

so, how does dell go out and make this screen for 1199? well, they call up samsung, and say "we'd like to order 500,000 pieces. samsung responds with "ok, and how much would you like to pay?"

you can expect the 23" panels to drop accordingly i'd think.

in colour critical applications, i dont think any LCD available, even the ones with 10 bit gamma corection (like the tv's) rival the best CRT's. advances in backlight tech for better uniformity i think will go along way to help though and they should catch up soon, and then surpass once panels begin moving to 10 bit controllers (not to be confused with the more happiliy marketed 10 bit gamma correction which, while an improvement, is generally hyped to mislead people into thinking they are getting something they are not - 10 bit colour)

later

Gary2
02-27-2005, 01:00 AM
itl be amazing if this lcd has a good picture quality... i bought alienwares laptop and the biggest gripe i have is the picture quality, i wish i had researched into it first but the picture quality on a 4k laptop didnt seem like something they would skimp on, i got burned =(

ihavenofish
02-27-2005, 01:17 AM
the bane of high end laptops for graphics use is the industry's unwillingness to ditch the 6 bit interface. this, combined with poor viewing angles and contrast make then rather suck for anything that requires accurate colour.

im not entirely sure why they dont just switch to 8bit. its entirely doable, and on a high end notebook the extra cost is really a non issue. i guess the industry is just waiting for someone to break the mould and see if it takes off. "here, you do it first". its also possible that the terrible backlighting methods required to keep panels thin and lightweight cant reproduce the colours anyway. i think we may have to wait for oled to get something nicer in the portable market.

later

xynaria
02-27-2005, 03:51 AM

Markus
..and no-one seems to care
Would we not all prefer to have the free space a TFT gives you

yup, yup yup, and er yup!

BUT

er can we get the kind of visual usefulness we prefer

.....er......not yet

I'm shopping at the moment and getting hold of a decent Mitsubishi is hard, LaCie and Iiyama ..well not so bad just yet...hey but guess who's stopped making their tubes,..oh that wouldn't be Mitsubishi would it??.oh why yes

seriously if you want a crt get it now while you still can cos by the end of the year you'll still be able to but odds are not at the spec you are used to................. :)

ToddD
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Supported Display Graphics - VGA (640x480), XGA (1024x768), SVGA (800x600), SXGA (1280x1024), SXGAW (1600x1024), UXGA (1600x1200), HDTV (1920x1080), QXGA (2048x1536), 1152x864, 1280x960, 1920x1200, 1920x1440, 1600x900, 1280x720
So should be just fine.

I have googled this, and tried to find my manual(unsuccesfully)
I need to know if a Quadro 750 xgl can support WUXGA resolution (1920 x 1200)
I would like the information source as well to verify if possible, thanks for any help!
The screen dimension(1920 x 1200) is listed in the overide refresh rates screen of the nvidia display software for the card but Not in the list of all valid modes.
Just want to be sure befor eI plunk down the cash :)

Thanks!

Todd

BillB
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Dell released the screen today, it's already discounted to $1079.10!

BillB
03-01-2005, 06:44 PM
It'll only list modes that are valid for your current monitor.

Here's one confirmation :
http://www.itp.com.pl/?page=34&p=1191

google :
Quadro 750xgl 1920x1200
to get a bunch of sites. The card will support "Resolution up to 2048 x 1536 at 75Hz per display" so should easily handle what you need for the Dell panel.

I have googled this, and tried to find my manual(unsuccesfully)
I need to know if a Quadro 750 xgl can support WUXGA resolution (1920 x 1200)
I would like the information source as well to verify if possible, thanks for any help!
The screen dimension(1920 x 1200) is listed in the overide refresh rates screen of the nvidia display software for the card but Not in the list of all valid modes.
Just want to be sure befor eI plunk down the cash :)

Thanks!

Todd

ToddD
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks Bill, question was redundant, but wanted to be sure. :) I appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Todd

ihavenofish
03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
actually, thats not confirmation. those specs are for the analog output. assuming this monitor has an analog input, then yes, it will work, however it may or may not be "perfect" quality.

single link DVI can handle up to 1600 x 1200 officially. the monitors that do 1920x1200 use a technique called reduced blanking to sqeeze the extra resolution into the bandwidth restrictions. many older, and even some new DVI cards cannot push 1920 x 1200.

search google some more to see what the dvi outputs can really handle. i imagine the quadro may actually support it. this is a bit of a grey area though, cause most makers just list "dvi spec" even though it may well be capable of the higher resolution. one idea would be to seek out a friend with a cinema display and test it :) if it works, the samsung / dell should too.

later

Lewis3D
03-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Apple won't lower the price till there is some competition. The big thing they have going for them with the 30" is the resolution. Nothing out there currently does 2560x1600. The dell 24" only does 1920x1200, same as the apple & the sony 23". You can only watch full size film frames on the 30".

Hi !

Your statement is half correct :). It's true that noone currently offer 30" and 2560*1600 resolution but iiyama have 22" LCD with 3840 x 2400 resolution (9,2 megapixels) and that's available for two years now :) - model is AQU5611DTBK
PDF manuals here- http://www.iiyama.co.uk/include/getdata.asp?4143

Monitor photo - http://www.iiyama.co.uk/media/cache/5110.jpg

It's not best with all specs (it's older technology so contrast and response is weaker) but beats all in resolution and PIP (4 sources at once on screen)

PanelIBM IPS Diagonal22.2" (56.4 cm) Response time50 (62 at ISO 13406-2) msecContrast ratio400 : 1 typicalBrightness235 cd / m typicalViewing zoneH: 170, V: 170, right / left each 85, top / bottom each 85 Native resolution3840 x 2400 (9,2 megapixels) / 75 Hz

cheers :)

BillB
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
single link DVI can handle up to 1600 x 1200 officially.

Good point, thanks for the correction. I'm going to have to think about that myself.

The DVI standards group actually talks about 1920x1080 at 60 Hz as maximum, which is slightly higher bandwidth than 1600x1200, for what it's worth :)

Maybe wait a couple of weeks for early-adopter geeks and review sites out there to do the experimenting!

ihavenofish
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
"but iiyama have 22" LCD with 3840 x 2400 resolution "

viewsonic used to sell that monitor as well.. for $7000us. ouch

there are 2 importand specs you left off: it requres 2 (yes two) DUAL LINK dvi outputs to run. meaning, unless you got a quadro 4000, or a fancy new mac g5, you will need 2 video cards to run it. the second important spec missing is the 50ms response time. thats more than just "a bit slow". this monitor is not geared toward anything that moves. basically prepress only. other than that, when ibm launched it in 2001, yes, it was very nice :)

ToddD
03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
General Information
Manufacturer PNY TECHNOLOGIES
Manufacturer Part Number VCQ4750XGL-PB
Product Line Quadro
Product Name NVIDIA Quadro4 750XGL Graphics Card
Marketing Information The NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL cards offer the high-end features of the NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL at a more aggressive price for outstanding performance. The PNY Quadro4 750XGL is based on NVIDIA's new Quadro4 750 XGL GPU. With the second-generation nfiniteFX processor, 128 MB of unified memory, and its Lightspeed Memory Architecture II, this card delivers a previously unheard of degree of realism even to complex animations. Two separate display connectors, one analog and one digital (DVI-I), deliver resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 pixels per analog display, for a combined maximum desktop resolution of 4096 x 1536. The OpenGL stereo connector enables you to synchronize stereoscopic 3D glasses, giving an added sense of realism. The included drivers are optimized for the leading workstation applications.
Manufacturer Website Address http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/xgl/750Xgl.asp
Technical Information
Adapter Type Multi Monitor Graphics Card
Processor Type & Speed nVIDIA 750 XGL Quadro4
Bus Type & Speed AGP 4x 1.5V AC
Memory Size & Type 128MB DDR SDRAM 350MHz
Memory Data Width 128-bit DDR
RAMDAC Dual 350MHz
Fill Rate 54 Million/s Triangles
Supported Resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz 2D/3D Analog Maximum
2048 x 1536 @ 60Hz 2D/3D Digital Maximum

So does that mean I am good to go?

Source:http://www.micomps.com/product_p/824837.htm

Thalaxis
03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
2048 x 1536 @ 60Hz 2D/3D Digital Maximum
So does that mean I am good to go?

That does seem pretty definitive. If you want to be sure, you could just contact PNY customer service
and ask them. They might already have tested it :)

Edit: formatting

ToddD
03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
From the extremetech review:
the Dell display also offers a wealth of connectivity options, including VGA, DVI, composite, component, and S-video connections.

I am going to just call Dell and/or PNY tomorrow, but indications seem good. If not dual 2001 ultrasharps are going to be my next option.

Bulldog
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
2001 fp also has all those connections just so you guys know.

Thalaxis
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I am going to just call Dell and/or PNY tomorrow, but indications seem good. If not dual 2001 ultrasharps are going to be my next option.

You should be fine with the 24", I think. There is a small chance that your card might complain about it,
but it's really not very likely. It's not THAT old yet ;)

peanuckle
03-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I noticed that Dell put it up on their site for $1,079.10http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=producthighlights&sku=320-4221&c=us&l=en&cs=19

I am still debating wheither to get the 24" or 2 20.1" what do you guys think would be the best?

Tanner

SheepFactory
03-02-2005, 05:18 AM
i went with 2 20'1" its gorgeous and simply better bang for your buck.

peanuckle
03-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Thats what I am thinking. Did you get the widescreen ones? I use a 9x12 Wacom all the time I and I was wondering how well widescreen monitors work with them.

SheepFactory
03-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Thats what I am thinking. Did you get the widescreen ones? I use a 9x12 Wacom all the time I and I was wondering how well widescreen monitors work with them.

works perfectly fine with wacom.

bentllama
03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
i went with 2 20'1" its gorgeous and simply better bang for your buck.
I too have dual 2100fp's at home and at work. i love them.

onlooker
03-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm getting 2 of the 20's as well. What a price. I was just about to fork out some cash on one Apple 20" Cinema display, and now DELL (of all people) changed my mind.

policarpo
03-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Holy Crap! That's awesome! I have a 2100 @ work and it works fine. I may just have to get 2 of these for home. Woot!:thumbsup:

ToddD
03-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Here is the e-mail response from PNY:

FX750 supports up to 1600x1200 in digital as DVI standard though some of
my customers got 1920x1200 lighted on certain LCDs, and supports maximum
at 2048x1536 in analog.

I would be good to find a monitor support both DVI and VGA interfaces
which will give you more flexibility.

from the monitor stats:

the Dell display also offers a wealth of connectivity options, including VGA, DVI, composite, component, and S-video connections.

Hazdaz
03-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't get something.... you guys are saying that DVI (a relatively new standard) only supports a max res of ~1600x1200!?!

What kind of short-sighted planning was involved when they came up with that standard - mean, geez DVI has only been popular for ~3 years and its already nearing its peak, while the VGA connector has been good for way over a decade.

ihavenofish
03-02-2005, 10:40 PM
dvi if im not mistaken was only intended at an interim solution. their "longevity" approach is dual link, allowing things like the apple 30" to use one cable. even still though, its maximum bandwidth is very limiting as things progress to 10 bit and ever higher resolutions.

it will be interesting to see what comes out in the future to acomodate these things. off hand i know of a few technologies that could replace dvi.

analog stays around cause, well, its analogue. extending it's ability has usually just been a matter of higher quality DAC's and cables. of course, as we know, it has its own fundamental limitations.

later

Berserga
03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Does anybody here have one of these yet? If so how's the viewing angle? The stat looks really low especially for a Samsung panel.

This is the only thing keepin me from grabbing one of these

Dirtystimpy
03-18-2005, 05:02 PM
i ordered my new cpu w/ that monitor 2 weeks ago, and it was supposed to ship yesterday, but got delayed! :(

I should have it by next week....I hope, then I can let you know!

Milho
03-18-2005, 05:12 PM
I too have dual 2100fp's at home and at work. i love them.

Dito. Just wondering, ppl using tablets with dual monitor setup: do you use the tablet for one monitor, both or use only lower part of the tablet to have a right aspect ratio?

thedaemon
03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Since I have one, here's a mini review.

Size is awesome, 1920x1200... omg!!
Color, its good, but not as smooth as my samsung 213t was.
Viewing angle is also a small issue, but if you scoot back a bit, so that you can actually see all of the monitor its fine.
Refresh rate is speedy, no tearing/ghosting that I can tell, just wish all my games had vsync options...:sad:

BillB
03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Does anybody here have one of these yet? If so how's the viewing angle? The stat looks really low especially for a Samsung panel.

I think you're being thrown by the way Dell has phrased the spec : +/- 89deg - to put it in the terms everyone else uses, that's a 178deg viewing angle. Sound better!?

The viewing angle issue referred to above ("you need to sit back a bit") is due to the sheer width of the screen - if you sit too close, when you're looking at the corners or edges of the screen, there's a reasonable angle involved!

Berserga
03-18-2005, 06:24 PM
YES! That does sound a heck of a lot better. Now time to convince the wife that I need this :D

Oh Do you guys think a Radeon 9800 pro is good enough to run this at the native Res thru DVI?

BillB
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
YES! That does sound a heck of a lot better. Now time to convince the wife that I need this :D

The way I've been pimping this thing here, Dell should send me one free :bounce:

Can't even buy them here in NZ yet! Arghhh! Can buy them in Australia, can buy them here with certain systems - but not by itself. Whassup widat!? I'm dyin' here! DELL!!! :scream:

mistafreeze
03-19-2005, 02:38 PM
a 9800 pro should work fine, i read a review at that site mentioned earlier and they stated using the 9800 with DVI and the 6800 with DVI

the thing of mention they said that you couldnt control the brightness when using DVI, so you must use your softwares utils.

has anyone tested this monitor in a distro of linux such as fedora
or a minimac?

i think its intresting that they offer componet input options on the monitor. will make it easy to bring in components from your home theatre that you never really hook up and play them on your monitor when your bored (such as a gamecube that i never use)

i too was going to buy the 23 inch cinema display, but i might even buy dells 21 inch monitor someone listed earlier, at around 600 dollars it really isnt a bad price at all. im not sure i could justify 400 dollars on 4 more inches.

bramley1
03-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Im about to buy this monitor, was just curious, does anyone know how well it does the blacks?

Also, I have a GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE, gfx card, it says it can handle the resolution. Anyone know? Do i need a new card?

Thanks

Dunk

Berserga
03-19-2005, 07:43 PM
On paper it should have very good blacks

ThirdEye
03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Stared at a ton of both lcd tv's and lcd monitors and i have to say i can't get used to them. They look too bright to me, and the colour saturation seems to be overkill. It's not a matter of settings, they just give me this impression when compared to my Sony G400 crt. But maybe that's just me.

pongball
03-20-2005, 12:37 PM
And here i sit with my Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17" CRT :shrug:
How can you mofos afford LCD's, dual monitors, even DUAL LCD's??? -argh-

Berserga
03-20-2005, 01:41 PM
You can get a set of Dual Samsung 910T 19 monitors, with EXCELLEENT stats, minus the refresh rate (20MS) for under $800 (At least at one site I saw after rebates). You'd need to get a vidcard with dual DVI tho.

bramley1
03-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Well I finally went for it, should come here in 5 days, so Ill let you know how it is, cant wait!! :)

thedaemon
03-20-2005, 11:12 PM
The default brightness is way too high, have to lower it a bit, and mess around with the color a small bit. After that, wow. Oh, and it does blacks amazingly for this huge lcd.

BigErn
03-21-2005, 02:12 AM
its great to see Dell selling this monitor at US$1000 but over here in the UK, well they charge around 860 ( ~US$1600 ). :(

SePu
03-21-2005, 04:52 AM
hey you where i can find that monitor that you are talking about ... the 2100fp's
i just i've heard about the 2001FP and then the 2005FPW ..... these monitors are 20'1 " ... are u talking about the same ones ?

fez
03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
I am not really a hardware guy. Does a Quadro 750 xgl support dual 24" monitors? If not, what (preferably reasonably priced) card would you recommend? Would there be any issues with such a setup (ie. would we be sacrificing performance for a few more inches?)? Thank you.

bRyaN2003
03-21-2005, 12:28 PM
I just got my 2001FP and it works with the GeForce4 TI 4800 SE...(and hooked up through DVI)
For some strange reason Doom 3 runs smooth as hell now...???

But it regards to the 24 inch i have not a clue...

Im about to buy this monitor, was just curious, does anyone know how well it does the blacks?

Also, I have a GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE, gfx card, it says it can handle the resolution. Anyone know? Do i need a new card?

Thanks

Dunk

Neil
03-21-2005, 06:22 PM
would it be more affordable to just buy a plasma tv and put it on the wall in front of your desk?

beaker
03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
would it be more affordable to just buy a plasma tv and put it on the wall in front of your desk?Sure, if you only want to run your computer at a max rez of 1024x768.

A Plasma capable of 1080p starts at $5-10k.

MCronin
03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
I am not really a hardware guy. Does a Quadro 750 xgl support dual 24" monitors? If not, what (preferably reasonably priced) card would you recommend? Would there be any issues with such a setup (ie. would we be sacrificing performance for a few more inches?)? Thank you.

Nope, Infact, I'm not so sure there is a reasonably priced video card available that could drive that many pixels and handle 3D well.

fez
03-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Damn. Well, sparing no suspense, what card would you guys go for that supports dual 24s?

* suspense. Idiot. Make that expense.

BillB
03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Damn. Well, sparing no suspense, what card would you guys go for that supports dual 24s?

Your best bet would be dual video cards I suspect. Or maybe a high-end Quadro?

Hazdaz
03-22-2005, 12:05 AM
What are you guys talking about? That 24" screen has a resolution of "only" 1920x1200. Don't get me wrong - that's a very nice and high rez, but not soooo high that a regular card can't drive it. Hell, my old Quadro FX1000 is driving 2 screens right now... with a combined resolution of 2.5M pixels (1280 x 1024 and 1280 x 960). That 24" display is "only" 2.3M pixels. Most mid-range newer video cards should be able to drive that screen just fine.

Or am I missing something??

MCronin
03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
He's talking about driving two of them on a 750 XGL

Hazdaz
03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
:blush: Then I stand corrected. I wish I could afford TWO of those screens.

Dirtystimpy
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
so i wonder if my monitor is the cause for my delayed order? I just got another email stating my order has been delyad again! So if you guys are ordering the 24incher, back off!! hehehehe

SimonPickard
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm about to get new monitor(s). It's either this 24" or Dual 20" dells.
Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't people want to get dual 20"s? It would only cost about $100 more for dual screens. 3200x1200 vs 1920x1200?
You'd get loads more screen for just a bit more money, plus you can angle the screens with dual.

Am I missing something here? Dual seems to be the way to go.

Another question.. DVI vs VGA. My gfx card only have 1 DVI and 1 VGA. If I went dual and used these inputs would I notice the difference on my screens?

Regards,
Simon

Dirtystimpy
03-22-2005, 09:51 PM
I think its just a matter of taste. I had 2 monitors at work, and love it. I'm not doing instensive work at home, so I'd rather have just the one nice monitor. Oh, and on my last job, I used a 23inch wide screen, and it was pretty sweet.

Brainsells
03-23-2005, 01:54 AM
I find i nicer to watch movies and play games and work without a line break in the middle of my vision.

BillB
03-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I find i nicer to watch movies and play games and work without a line break in the middle of my vision.

Yep, what he said. I currently have 1 x 19" CRT as my main screen, 1 x 17" LCD as a secondary for webpages, tool palettes, Maya graph+outliner etc. Works great, BUT...

Would much rather have one big screen - there are plenty of times when two screens is a pain in the butt. Quicktime and Media player won't full-screen properly, After Effects would be easier to work with, could view an HD frame - that sort of thing.

Ashrose
03-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I want that 24" but I'm not shopping atm.

Not that I want to make this a Dell commercial but, If you're in the market.

Dell UltraSharp 1905FP 19" LCD display for $317 (http://dealmac.com/articles/Dell+UltraSharp+1905FP+19+LCD+display+for+317/83109.html)
Dell Small Business offers the Dell UltraSharp 1905FP 19-inch LCD (http://dealmac.com/artclick.html?83109,115936) monitor for $529 with free shipping. (To find it, search for "320-4113".) Add coupon code "8KLZRXT4JNQW1N" to your cart and the price slips to $317.40. That's $41 off our last mention and the lowest total price we've seen. Features include a native resolution of 1280x1024 dpi, 800:1 contrast ratio, four USB 2.0 ports, and both DVI and VGA inputs. Sales tax is added where applicable. Coupons expires March 23. Shipping free. Friend just bought two... so the deal real.
This ends tomorrow, so I figured I'd post it now. Link is from dealnews.com

PUR-C
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
HA ordered mine yesterday. So excited about it. Cant wait for it.

But like always when i buy something .. it is always broken or something went wrong with the sending. Well i hope i dont get any dead pixels or something like that.

Pray for me ppl :D

thedaemon
03-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Another question.. DVI vs VGA. My gfx card only have 1 DVI and 1 VGA. If I went dual and used these inputs would I notice the difference on my screens?

Regards,
Simon

You would punch yourself in the face for using vga with this monitor. It would look terrible.

BRUTICUS
04-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I ordered mine today. can't wait for it. I thought about getting two monitors but i'd rather get one awesome primary and consider getting a small cheapo monitor down the line.

Anyone actually recieved the monitor yet? I think I have a 3 week wait period in Canada. Doh.

Dirtystimpy
04-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I got mine 2 weeks ago (it was delayed 2 or 3 weeks as well)

anyways, I love it! and I've had some friends over from work, and upon seeing it, they are like, I am getting one, that is sharp.

I think you'll love it!

heavyness
04-08-2005, 06:07 PM
just got [2] UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect [look around, i've seen them as low as $418 w/ free shipping].

we love it [wife got 1, i got the other]. i was afraid it would be shorter since they measure 20 inches wide, but it's just as tall as my 19 inch trintron with more room on the side [sweet wide screen goodness].

no ghosting in games, colors really stand out, usb on the monitor, 4 inputs, just go buy one! even looks good on a old Nvidia TNT2 card with analog connection.

here is a pic of what half life 2 looks on a widescreen monitor (http://heavyness.udream2.com/dump/gaming/wide.jpg) [yes, half life 2 has 16x9 and 16x10 aspect ratio settings!]

i know the thread is about the 24inch, but you can get 2 of these for less.

Dirtystimpy
04-08-2005, 06:10 PM
here is a pic of what half life 2 looks on a widescreen monitor (http://heavyness.udream2.com/dump/gaming/wide.jpg) [yes, half life 2 has 16x9 and 16x10 aspect ratio settings!]

damn that looks good, I can't wait to try that game out!

SimonPickard
04-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Anyone been getting any dead pixels on their monitors?
I've just got dual 20" dells and LOVE them but I have a dead pixel on one.. In talks with dell at the moment about trying to get it swapped.

Regards,
Simon

beaker
04-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Anyone been getting any dead pixels on their monitors?
I've just got dual 20" dells and LOVE them but I have a dead pixel on one.. In talks with dell at the moment about trying to get it swapped.Dead pixels are normal in almost all lcd's. Good luck in getting it swapped out. Depending the company most won't swap it out unless it has more than 5-15 dead pixels.

BRUTICUS
04-10-2005, 03:59 PM
If anyone wants to read another review with good pictures here ya go:

http://www.jaded-gamer.com/content.php?review.55

Also found a site dedicated to widescreen gaming. Looks like all the most important games for me are supported, Doom3, HL2, WoW
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

oxygen8o8
02-15-2006, 05:45 PM
do you know if the quadro xgl900 will be able to handle the UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch widescreen? i know xgl can go up to 2048x1536 but will it handle this monitor or is there a driver for the xgl for it? please let me know....i had purchased one with my tax return and figure it will work.worse come to worse time for new video card for me.

Leonard
02-15-2006, 06:59 PM
do you know if the quadro xgl900 will be able to handle the UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch widescreen? i know xgl can go up to 2048x1536 but will it handle this monitor or is there a driver for the xgl for it? please let me know....i had purchased one with my tax return and figure it will work.worse come to worse time for new video card for me.

Hey, I think it would have been better if you'd posted this question in the Technical & Hardware forum as a new thread.

This particular thread is old. Real old. Look at the date that the last post (before yours) was published. Almost a year.

We classify these threads as 'zombie' threads. You'd probably get a better and more constructive response from starting a new thread up in the Technical & Hardware forum here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23

L.