PDA

View Full Version : who wants this script beeing written, (not by me)

MrWyatt
09-17-2002, 08:41 AM
can anybody do a good lightarray script that uses hdr images as information to set the right values for lightintensity and colour in order to fake GI. I used LWīs ability of luxigons to create a lightdome and created a smaller globe in it with a hdri as texture transparency, translucensy and colour filter to 100% and turned off the camera visibility for that object than i put an smaller object in the middle and render it with raytrace shadows. what i get is an object lit from all sides (diffuse) but the lights take the colour of the textured globe with them as they pass throu. this creates a feeling of GI. the problem is that method produces very grainy pictures and shadingnoise reduction canīt make it up. when i delete the globe the noise is gone but so are the colours and itīs no fun to adjust the colours of 160 spotlights, not to mention the intensity that has to be adjusted too. the most perfect solution would be a script that would , ( as luxigons do) create spotlights out of polygons and at the same time adjust the values of the single lights to match the colours and intensity of each spotlight ( i had about 160 of them) to the colour and intensity of the position in a hdr image. i think hdriīs are allways used the same way, spherical. so the positions of a colour in a hdri should be calculable to match the position of a spotlight in a light dome. unfortunatly my scripting sucks big time. i canīt script shit, but i challenge all of those who can to try on this one.

mix
09-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Try overcaster.

CIM
09-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Hmm, doesn't Lightgen do this? I've never used it, so I could be wrong.

MrWyatt
09-17-2002, 09:03 AM
i tried overcaster but i still have to do changes manually i canīt give it a pic like a hdri and the colours and intensity settings automatically change, itīs good thou but not perfect.

MrWyatt
09-17-2002, 09:32 AM
just found lightgen and it sounds great i have to find out more about it . on the website they say one must have HDRShop in order to use it , I have to see if thatīs what i want it still sounds a bit complicated, as you have to use external apps in order to get the job done. Iīll give it a try. thanks CIM. actually i hoped you could script it, but when it works, fine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.