PDA

View Full Version : Maya character demo on G4TV's The Screen Savers

JohnPark
02-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi all, I'm going to be on G4TV's The Screen Savers this Wednesday, Feb 23rd 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific. I'm doing a segment on the basics of creating a game character model and rig. For more info, head to their online schedule: http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/episodes/3921/Gareb_Shamus_Sand_Drag_Racing_Dark_Tip.html
Please think happy, non-crashing-computer thoughts for me :)
-JP

FloydBishop
02-23-2005, 12:40 AM
As a favor to all computer animators everywhere, PLEASE mention that it's the human doing the animating, and not the computer.

I'll be sure to watch!

Azmodan Kijur
02-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Good luck. Make sure to insist that it's not all push button! :thumbsup:

LiquidMetal
02-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Cool!Ive been watching TSS forever haha.Cant wait to see!

JohnPark
02-23-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the tip Floyd, I'll be sure to mention that. As a TD at Disney I'm always in awe of the animators making our rigs come to life!

FloydBishop
02-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Maybe so, but without a rig, the animation would be quite boring.

Good luck, break a leg, etc!

jackburton
02-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Hey, that's great. I always thought G4 should do have more content about people MAKING games instead of playing them. Curious, are you taking your own machine or are they going to have one there? Good luck!

JohnPark
02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Jack,
It was a lot of fun doing the show. Yes, I brought my machine down --they don't have a license of Maya, just PLE. Never realized how absurdly heavy and large my workstation is until now ;)
-JP

Signal2Noise
02-27-2005, 06:17 PM
That was a good segment. Screen Savers has covered Maya quite a bit over the years. It would be nice if they realized that there are other apps available as well. But I digress...

Japunto, did you get the feeling that the hosts of TSS always look at Maya as simply a neat toy to play with? I get that feeling when watching segments and listening to the questions and "oohs & aahs" of the hosts when the software is demo'd. I have to laugh and roll my eyes at some of the comments they make with demonstrator. :)

titaniumdave
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
did you get the feeling that the hosts of TSS always look at Maya as simply a neat toy to play with? I get that feeling when watching segments and listening to the questions and "oohs & aahs" of the hosts when the software is demo'd. I have to laugh and roll my eyes at some of the comments they make with demonstrator.

Well it is g4, something shiny would get them excited.

SheepFactory
02-27-2005, 06:44 PM
As a favor to all computer animators everywhere, PLEASE mention that it's the human doing the animating, and not the computer.

I'll be sure to watch!

I second this :)

JohnPark
02-28-2005, 02:41 AM
That was a good segment. Screen Savers has covered Maya quite a bit over the years. It would be nice if they realized that there are other apps available as well. But I digress...

Japunto, did you get the feeling that the hosts of TSS always look at Maya as simply a neat toy to play with? I get that feeling when watching segments and listening to the questions and "oohs & aahs" of the hosts when the software is demo'd. I have to laugh and roll my eyes at some of the comments they make with demonstrator. :)

Thank you, Signal. I don't think they have any bias towards Maya in particular, I'm guessing it's just a reflection of who has approached them to do segments.
You're right, the show doesn't really cover how-to's in great depth, but I can tell you that I've gotten tons of email from 15 year-olds who want to get into gaming :)
-JP

Saban
02-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Very nice segment, the textures where fantastic.

And those hip gyrations, top notch. ~_^

JohnPark
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Very nice segment, the textures where fantastic.

And those hip gyrations, top notch. ~_^

Hey now! Thanks :L)

JesseDavis
02-28-2005, 05:39 AM
i looked for the clip on the website of your performance, but I guess they didn't have it. I dunno, post a link if you can find it!

peanuckle
02-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Great job on the show! I think you did a fine job. Wish they would have given more time to the spot though.

Tanner

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.