PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on 2D/3D compositing

TheSly
02-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi,
This is my first attempt at compositing an image. The car is simply taken from a tutorial I did, so it's not my own idea, but I did create it. I would like to integrate the image more into the scene, but not sure how to do it? I feel the lighting is not quite what it should be, but am not too sure what to change in Photoshop to smooth over the composition.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/plmorgan/picture_small.jpg

ironic440
02-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I donīt see any image.:shrug:

TheSly
02-22-2005, 11:05 PM
I donīt see any image.:shrug:

Really? hmm...not sure why that is.

I also just realised this should probably be in compositing, so if someone thinks that and wants to move it, no worries.

ironic440
02-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I see now, problaly was a internet problem. The only critic is the car is small in relation whit the other cars. But generaly is a good work.:thumbsup:

hjalmar
02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
well lets see...

the car is well modeled, but your comp problem comes from your:

a) lighting
b) reflectivity
c) shadows
d) no shader on the front bumper (or it doesnt look like it)
e) and your glass reflections are not sharp enough (they look blurred) and they look glowey

thats what i think...altho this thread i think either belongs in the 3d or comp thread...but yea...my..uhh...*counts*...5 cents

TheSly
02-23-2005, 12:06 AM
well lets see...

the car is well modeled, but your comp problem comes from your:

a) lighting
b) reflectivity
c) shadows
d) no shader on the front bumper (or it doesnt look like it)
e) and your glass reflections are not sharp enough (they look blurred) and they look glowey

thats what i think...altho this thread i think either belongs in the 3d or comp thread...but yea...my..uhh...*counts*...5 cents

Thanks for your comments. I'm trying to learn not only what needs to be better, but how to do it too. Would you have any suggestions on how to fix what you've listed?
The bumper is the same shader as the rest of the car, so it's just picking up the ground as a reflection. Maybe I might change it so it picks up the lines on the road too.

hjalmar
02-23-2005, 02:53 AM
it would all depend on what software you are using...i only know maya

and the bumper looks totally different from the rest of the car...it would be picking up more than just the road

try and gather some reference of cars (either go for a walk or look on the web if you are not very energetic) and look at teh reflections on them.

PsYcHoPyRo
02-23-2005, 05:11 AM
I would have to agree with the previous posts on this - but would also like to throw in my 2 cents.

I think that the front end of the car is the most "realistic" looking (if that's what you're trying to achieve) and as you move towards the rear of the car it looks more like and animated image. But I do like your style in incorporating a created image into a real photograph.

Pixelcritter
02-23-2005, 05:12 AM
I cant quite put my finger on it but it almost seems like its too small. I almost get the feeling its like a toy car.

The model itself is great, just keep workin on the compositing

swardson
02-23-2005, 04:55 PM
one thing that might be bugging people and may not know it is that the car is on the wrong side of the road to be traveling that direction. You can tell because of the way the cars are parked on the other side. :)

Also I think if you lighten the shadow a bit, and up the specularity on the car (as well as the other comments here on the bumper, reflections etc.) you will have a really nice image here.

-Brad

TheSly
02-23-2005, 07:37 PM
one thing that might be bugging people and may not know it is that the car is on the wrong side of the road to be traveling that direction. You can tell because of the way the cars are parked on the other side. :)

-Brad

That's a good point. Unfortunately it's a one way street, so where the car is is physically correct, but as you say, who is to know that.

Thanks for all your comments guys. I'll attempt to implement what you are suggesting.

walrus
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Nice job on the car, it looks great. The reflections are especially effective at making it fit well in the scene. The cars in the background have very tight, hard-edged shadows, and I think that it might help to have a less soft shadow on your car as well. Good luck!

-mike

Squibbit
02-23-2005, 09:24 PM
-mike i don't know about the shadows, wouldn't even blurry shadows
look sharp edged and tight at this angle?
Otherwise I agree with you, the car looks great, but at some points, a bit
too blurry, especially the wheels

TheSly
02-24-2005, 06:23 AM
-mike i don't know about the shadows, wouldn't even blurry shadows
look sharp edged and tight at this angle?
Otherwise I agree with you, the car looks great, but at some points, a bit
too blurry, especially the wheels

I actually radial blurred the wheels in the hope of showing it was moving, but looking back it might of been better to have it closer to the curb and try to show it parked.

Thanks all for the comments, it's been great in showing me what is needed to improve the image.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.