PDA

View Full Version : video sizes, etc..

what_happened
02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Quick question.

Does the size of the imported video effect the overall final file size, even if you only used a small portion - 3 sec of the 20 sec. clip?

explanation:
I am putting together a compiliation clip, of a bunch of videos, taken from a video game. My target length for the final video is 2 minutes. The clips I am taking of the game are created using fraps. These clips are like 15-20 sec. or 70 to 150+ MB in size. I bring them into AE, and add markers to where I want to start/cue the video, then i just slide the layer to the left... to the beginning of the comp, to where my first marker is. Then adjust the far right of the layer, to the length of time needed. I then adjust the comp time according to the amount of video displayed. Does that make sense?

OR. should I crop these videos in Premiere, to later be brought into AE as individual 3-5 sec clips?

Does it matter that I am not "technically" cropping these clips, but rather adjusting their lenght?

Thanks.

meatpuppet
02-22-2005, 09:22 PM
it does not matter.

when you render out your final movie it will only contain the information you 'told' it to.

cheers,

tijl.
02-24-2005, 10:48 AM
In my opinion, it's always easier to keep working with the original files in after effects. It won't effect your final size (that will only depend on your export settings) and it offers you a much more flexible workflow. Otherwise you'll be switching from program to program alot.

The only reason why I sometimes crop files in premiere before importing them as footage in after effects, is because my computer can't handle the large files (while using them in aftereffects).

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.