PDA

View Full Version : PAL from premiere to AE, then back

torbjorn
02-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey there, just a really basic question. As PAL is a compressed format, and I save my PAL proj, and import the single file to After effects, do some stuff there, and then I export it as a PAL with the same settings (i.e, best settings, 25fps etc.etc) will this actually have the same effects as saving the same JPG file twice, or even a couple of times?

PS: should I go with the uncompressed QT format when transferring between projects?

Thanks / Tobey

jwmoebius
02-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I usually try to use the original captured clips in After Effects, export it as uncompressed and take it back to the editing app where it gets rendered as DV for editing (since I can't edit uncompressed on my computer). This way you only recompress it once and not a couple of times. If you have done stuff like color correction in your editing app before you go to AE I would export it as uncompressed as well.

shadow
02-22-2005, 05:28 PM
If you use Premiere Pro 1.5 and Aftereffects 6.5: If you marquee-select your timeline, Copy and then open a comp in Aftereffects and Paste, you won't have to export it. If the effects you do in aftereffects are not too hard, you can use the same trick to paste it back to premiere. Otherwise if you use DV material, export it from aftereffects to DV-AVI.

torbjorn
02-23-2005, 03:50 PM
thanks boys! i'm using premiere pro 1.0, though, i'll give it a shot! i usually work with uncomp QT files, though the space they fill is WAY too huge to shovel around my drives...!

CIAO / The fenderbender

jwmoebius
02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
A good inbetween is Foto-JPG compression at 75% quality. It's better than DV (especially for titles and graphics) and takes about the same space (not a lot).

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.