PDA

View Full Version : The King's Fairy Catcher (nudity), Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Stahlberg
02-22-2005, 03:25 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/566/566_1109046324_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/566/566_1109046324.jpg)

Title: The King's Fairy Catcher (nudity)
Name: Steven Stahlberg
Software: Maya, Photoshop

The King has gotten it into his head that drinking fairy blood will keep him young forever. No one knows if this is true or not, since no one has had enough money to try to cultivate the extremely expensive bait (a magical flower irresistable to fairies) on the large scale necessary before. The King is using up all the money of the kingdom in his obsession...

Everlost
02-22-2005, 03:42 AM
very very very cool, original idea and very nicely executed

Fets
02-22-2005, 04:10 AM
Excellent!
A new fairytale is born!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ms@zx
02-22-2005, 04:44 AM
wow,are those fairies done in 3d?anatomically,they are very well proportioned.and i love the mood ..sleepy hollow feel~!:)

animatorajithkv
02-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Steven, The concept is really nice and you have become successful in realizing it...

Though, I have a small comment... I feel the lighting of the fairies ( especially the one who is trapped) needs to be adjusted a little...At present, her belly is also lit heavily...whereas the light direction of the rest of the picture is from her back...If the light intensity of the fairies as a whole is little reduced, they could blend more with the rest of the picture...

Keep up the good workhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Visit Thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211732 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211732)

Hexebah
02-22-2005, 05:35 AM
You are very talented Steven! Great mood and atmosphere to this work. I also wondered about the lighting on the fairies at first, but now I kinda like it. It's as though they are giving off a light of thier own. :thumbsup:

Chip

xeNusion
02-22-2005, 05:37 AM
really nice idea but the lightning dont fits together and its very easy to spot the 3d parts and textures...

el_martino
02-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I always like the ideas and stories behind the works posted here. It gives them more depth. This is a cool concept and a cool image.

thanx for sharing this stunning piece!

j3st3r
02-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Nice work Steven, very nice.

korgano
02-22-2005, 07:52 AM
the "breath" fog really adds to this piece, give characters much more life. I cant wait for your next interesting fairy painting!

celmar
02-22-2005, 08:47 AM
I like a lot your painting!... the little girls are perfecxt, and the overall green cold light is reallyfine!... the only crit, maybe , would be on the drawing of the man, wich is too simple, and cone shaped... of course he's an old man, walking slowly, and so on, but I think that a little more dynamic drawing would improve the picture... anyway, it's a very good piece!... bravo

AlyFell
02-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Lovely work Steven. Reminds me very much of Victorian fairy paintings... Excellent! :)

Kyena
02-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Just beautiful..I agree though that the light on the fairies is a bit strange..but then they ARE mystical creatures what do I know :)

I am in love about how you rendered the background. Particularly, the right side with those round shapes between the branches. Is that some kind of filter you used or how did you achieve that wonderful look?

Mysterious X
02-22-2005, 10:23 AM
this is a supurb piece..but mr.stahlberg can you provide us with a hight resultion pic ? :thumbsup:

ralphmanning
02-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Though, I have a small comment... I feel the lighting of the fairies ( especially the one who is trapped) needs to be adjusted a little...At present, her belly is also lit heavily...whereas the light direction of the rest of the picture is from her back...If the light intensity of the fairies as a whole is little reduced, they could blend more with the rest of the picture...
[/color][/url]

I really agree; the fairies look a little too placed on top of the image. Small adjustments to the lighting on them, considering the light source(s) within the environment, could sort it out. Other than that it looks brilliant – well done.

MoonVisionStudio
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
This one is a jaw dropper! Great work. There is something about the fairies I cant quite put my finger on. Maybe they need some fairy dust. Looks awesome!

Stahlberg
02-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks! Forgot to say in the initial post: c&c most welcome (of course)! This has taken me about 4 - 5 days to do, but spread out over a couple weeks.
I'll post a hi-res tomorrow when I get into the office.
Those round shapes are just round brushmarks. :)
I'll think about darkening the fairies a little more, I've been struggling back and forth on that.
Yes the fairies started in 3d.

Velinov
02-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Exelent work, but it seems that the fairy doesn't look common with the other element of the image. The figure ot the fairys are too much 3D if we make parallel with other objects in the composition. In spite of all GOOD work! Keep it up!:thumbsup:

swarding
02-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd agree with some of what already been said about how the fairies seem a little displaced from the rest of the piece, but I love HOW they are lit, excellent way of getting color in there. But also, they offer a great contrast to this dark king and the dark surroundings by being sort of separate like that so all in all I don't know if it would look better changed or not. I'd say not

Pixelcritter
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
That must have hurt

ANARKY
02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
One word, WOW!!!

This is a great image. Masterfully done. :thumbsup:

Russta
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Exelent work, but it seems that the fairy doesn't look common with the other element of the image. The figure ot the fairys are too much 3D if we make parallel with other objects in the composition. In spite of all GOOD work! Keep it up!:thumbsup:

this is what i was going to say, but if i was doing this picture (i wish) then i would have maybe painted over the maya renders of the fairies just so they blend better with ther painterly stlye of the rest of the piece. they look a bit too finely rendered, in comparison. but i dont expect you ^STEVEN STAHLBERG^ to take advice from me.... russta.... i think im gonna go cry now. see you later... *snif*

Branko
02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
The originality of this idea is fantastic, and for that reason alone you deserve high praise.
Excellent work, intense composition, just work on integrating the the little winged beauties more naturaly into the scene. It's not that they are glowing, which you would expect from faeries, it's that(especially for the one furthest to the right) it seems as though something like sunshine is actually shining on them. except that it's not hitting any of the environment around. Atleast that's one of the things that sticks out for me.
Obviously though, it's beautiful to a T.

Dreamshark
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Awesome, I love the classical look of the Fairies.

XYZRGB
02-22-2005, 08:56 PM
I think this is one of your most impressive works to date. The short story adds a whole lot to the image.
I can usually spot your style, but you got me on this one.
Very good.

BTW, I'm glad to see all is well and good with you . You continue to inspire us. :thumbsup:

paintbox
02-22-2005, 08:59 PM
A very beautiful piece ! Good technique, good composition, the viewpoint is a bit that of the passer-by, the viewer is a bit detached from the on-going drama, I take it that was done deliberately. The lighting is superb. I dont agree at all with the fairies being too bright or too dominant, they are self-illuminating and I think the values at the moment are just right.

Wonderful, I wish I could make stuff like this :)

Ordibble-Plop
02-22-2005, 09:16 PM
A beautiful picture, reminiscent of romanticism.

The lighting doesn't bother me at all. It is a painterly lighting and doesn't need to follow the 3D obsession with reality. The fairies appear to have their own inner glow, which highlights their otherworldliness, as well as contrasts them against the dark woods in comparison to the dark catcher against the light. The lighting should help to tell the story rather than serve at the reality altar.

One small thing I have a problem with is an issue of scale, which is accentuated by the cage the catcher carries - I can't seem to see the fairy fitting in it. It would be hard to give the catcher a bigger cage without making it look odd so maybe he could have something like a pole with a noose on it - perhaps something more sinister to intimate the final end of the fairy as they aren't being caught to be kept as pets.

Ac0rN
02-22-2005, 09:36 PM
woah, havent seen this typ of work from you Stahlberg, angels and stuff... awesome forest also :thumbsup:

ExtraNoise
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Unlike most people, I think the lighting is actually done well and doesn't need to be changed.
If you dimmed them up too much, they would dissapear in the picture and your eye wouldn't move around and it would become boring.

And this is awesome work. Good job!

rswanson
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know that the Fairy Catcher is tall enough, if that cage is supposed to be sized for those Fairies. But I am sure you considered the scale in your intial layout, so I am probably mistaken.

Nice timbre to the work tho...

tonfarben
02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
This is a genius one! A really great picture, normally I am never in the mood to really praise one´s work. But this is my desktop-background now (a very seldom event). It really has a great execution, besides all the crits here. I agree with Extra noise, the fairys are lit well, I never would achieve such good painting techniques. Overall, the theme of the picture is good and also well executed. Well done.
Why can´t I give six stars? It especially excites me because of it´s classic style. Great lighting!

onlooker
02-22-2005, 10:43 PM
They (or you) are getting progressively more, and more twisted every time Stahlberg. I like it! :thumbsup:

Skjoldbroder
02-22-2005, 10:56 PM
nice image!

the fairie catcher himself seems to be taking his sweet time getting there, as if he's not worried at all that the fairie might escape. I like that, it adds a certain inevitability to it. apart from that, the colour scheme of the fairies reminds me of some renaissance stuff. pretty good in general! =)

all the best
/plaflaplafpl

mehdianim
02-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Great Art with a good backstory ! That's how it should be done :buttrock::bounce: :buttrock: .

DDS
02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
I agree with most of the comments. Superb picture. Very, very nice action, composition and lighting. I love the poses of the fairies!! They express so much feeling to me... Toghether with their lighting they remind me of Renaissance pictures.

This different lighting of the fairies also makes them unrealistic and fantastic, that's what they are. I agree with the picture and I don't think there is anything to be changed. But it's just an opinion.

Waiting for more fairies in your next one! :bounce:

kogh
02-23-2005, 12:59 AM
absolutely brilliant. seriously, a work of art.

harlan_hill
02-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Great work as always Steven!!!

I actually like the look of the fairies... kind of makes me think of Absinthe! Mmm Absinthe!! :)

My only critique is with the Fairy Catching device itself. The color of the vapor emanating from the device is a little overpronounced in comparison to the rest of the image. The device itself stands out a little too much as well. In my humble opinion.

Wouldn't mind catching one of those fairies myself, but for an altogether different reason than the king! ;)

alseides
02-23-2005, 01:09 AM
kind of like the chinese emperor that drank mercury everyday cuz he thought he would live forever. well he ended up going paranoid about people trying to kill him and take over his kingdom. ended up sleeping in a different room every night and built that long stretch of the great wall. i dont think fairies' blood will do that to you tho.

looks like a painting. nice atmostphere and very intriguing story.

WanielJorge
02-23-2005, 01:57 AM
:drool: Master Stahlberg, always perfect. congratulations!:bowdown:

Tad
02-23-2005, 02:23 AM
cool stuff,
but I dont think she'll fit into his cage :P

kfc
02-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Steven,
I love this piece very much. It seems to has meanings behind the image. and the flow of telling a story here is very strong as if we don't need any words to describe the situation.
Only thing that confuses me is the sense of scale between the fairy to the cage.
Anyway, since I've seen how u do it in the office I won't ask how you did the image again. But the rest of us in the studio always wonder how u got the idea for the pose from? did u really pose for urself in the toilet?
haha....
Anyway, hope u'll enjoy working on another piece that's coming. Cheers.

:bowdown:

Julez4001
02-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Fantastic as always......

Fus|on
02-23-2005, 02:44 AM
Once again, blown away.

ceql
02-23-2005, 02:45 AM
fantastic work, Mr. Stahlberg! As some people have commented already, the narrative in the work really brings up the level of this work a few notches. I can't help but keep comming back to stare at it again, thanks to not only to the Superb execution, but the drama in particular. For lack of better words, it really adds alot of replay value for the viewers :) Great work indeed!

Stahlberg
02-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Thousand thanks all! :)
Here's the link to a higher res:
http://www.androidblues.com/TrapperHi.jpg
You're right about the scale problem, didn't really register until now. It's a perspective problem. I'll see what I can do.

loocas
02-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Holy crap man! This is cool! The fairies are very hot :thumbsup: And as for the picture, all the story/mood/technical parts etc... are PERFECT! I love it man! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me and a :bowdown:

dazrenius
02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
steven.....u r always my favorite artist......like the image so much!

mrZack
02-23-2005, 04:44 AM
i am turned on by your faries....

Tilstrom
02-23-2005, 06:25 AM
top class work man, i love it. :)

maxmaster
02-23-2005, 07:00 AM
I know you started as a 2D artist and became so famous as a 3D artist.

Now you are inter weaving the 2D and 3D. Your image is so refreshing after seeing so many boring images of others.

You earned respects from all the artist in the world. Not only this image but all of your work is so great! I am truly impressed by your work and your open mind to share your knowledge(specially in the body topology post in the Maya section).

Hope to see your great works for years to come.

BTW, I am so grateful to you to allow me to use your image on my book published a few years back in Korea(the book has been published in China later with same cover image)

Thank you so much!

alex.h.
02-23-2005, 07:38 AM
its absolut wonderful, i love it, great work , :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ha en bra dag..vi ses.

SailorDidi
02-23-2005, 07:41 AM
A new artwork from Steven, that's excellent !

The way you painted the faeries skin is amazing, it makes them so alive !

I have one crit., about the perspective... as we see the faeries, they cannot hold in the little cage... they're too big !
Maybe you should have accentuated the perspective of the path...

Gorgeous job Steven, and 5 stars of course :)

dienben
02-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Wow, i love the textures and the atmpsphere of your forest. The dark man is so mysterious! too! Congratulation:thumbsup:

onlooker
02-23-2005, 08:30 AM
cool stuff,
but I dont think she'll fit into his cage :P

But it's not a cage. It's a fairy blender. :twisted:

SkullboX
02-23-2005, 09:03 AM
It's probably your best piece I've seen, 2 or 3D. Especially the color composition is great.

What I don't like about it though, is the 'melodramatic acting' of the fairies. The trapped one looks great, but the free one reaching out doesn't seem to be convincing at all. I'd either have her appear to be arriving streching out, or make the restraint by the little fairy more appearant as right now she doens't seem to be putting any effort into it. The skin-toned fairy on the right, though rendered beautifully, is really out of place in my opinion and I can't place her reaction to what happens at all.

The poses are nice like that on their own (and have a very classic look, similar to the italian frescos), but I think this painting would benefit a lot from some added realism to the acting. Other than that it's great.

ice0425
02-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey~very nice job! very like it!!

hdxtra
02-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Wonderful job.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CuTnPaste
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Great ! as usual....

:applause:

bernoccoli
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM
great charme, clors are fabulous.. too many glows to me.

looking with admiration, anyway.

damyand
02-23-2005, 12:11 PM
wow...you are a great artist!!!
really amazing!!!

congratulations!

HerrKatt
02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Awesome concept and great colors! :thumbsup:

jmBoekestein
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Love the way the fairies jump out of the environment.

I really feel sorry for them! Really great work!:thumbsup:

alancamara
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Oohh! wonderful job.Master piece.
Congratulations.

Neil_M
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Great looking scene and story :thumbsup:

visionmaster2
02-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Superbe, i love it !

HapZungLam
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
looking good. But the composition is alittle odd. Looks like it has 2 focopoint going on there, 1 is the farries, and the other one is the man on the road. They both are at the corner of the picture. It makes me kinda confuse to where to start looking at it.

xuanye
02-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Great Work!love it

allenatl
02-23-2005, 06:41 PM
I didn't get thru the whole thread but I noticed everyone mentioning the lighting. I actually like the lighting because it moves your eye in a circular pattern around the entire composition which is what the artist probably wants. The glow on the fairies leads to the slightly lit, open path between the trees above them. The faded light in the background moves your eyes back across the picture to the dark figure in the background. And then the little spots of reflected light in the water puddles move you right back to the fairies.
So you've basically got sort of a 3-dimensional circular composition. Having an extra light source on the fairies is no different from a movie director using lights for dramatic effect.
I think it works for this image.

hadimoom
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
this is great idea:thumbsup:

God Lock...:applause:

WyattHarris
02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
You have no idea who I am, of course, but I've been following your work for years now and I think it's great that you are still posting work here on CGTalk.

Anyway the style of the fairies reminds me of Edouard Manet's Olympia, 1863.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/manet/olympia/olympia.small.jpg (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/manet/olympia/olympia.jpg)

Or even more, a piece called "Centaurs and Dryads" by, I think, Paul Manship.
At the lower resolution I can really dig it although I do see how the lighting is a little "undone" in spots. If the fearies were a wee bit darker then the light coming from the flower could be brought out a lot more on their figures.

At the higher resolution I can see many places where it's real grainy and things don't blend right but I do that all the time if I know a piece will be presented at a lower resolution.

Very nice, love the idea, great story behind it.

visjes
02-23-2005, 07:37 PM
I knew the moment I saw the fairies that it was a Stahlberg. :) Wonderful work, Steven. The concept is so disturbingly fantastic. Keep it up!

oxyg3n
02-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Nice work. I really like he compostion alot.

misho_st
02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Interesting Idea.
Really a great work! :thumbsup:

Matt_Forcum
02-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Amazing work! and I love that Renaissance feel it has.

Beautiful

learner88
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
anothere masterpiece by you,mr Stahlberg.Great work!:thumbsup:

i like the bodies of the fairs

pedralba
02-24-2005, 12:39 AM
excellent work

-LPS-
02-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Amazing! Even the backdrop is enchanting! Superb.

dickma
02-24-2005, 01:47 AM
What I think about is that it is a story-telling image, it is just informative. However, I have two comments:

1. If the man's cage is for the fairy, I think it should be larger so it is more convincing.

2. There are too much fairies there so it is too crowded, and it is just killing the mysterious effect.

abcxyzboy
02-24-2005, 02:21 AM
I think that the lighting makes the fairies stand out as well, though I think that that is a good thing. Also I think the man has plenty of detail, any more and it would make the image less about the fairies. I think he is an important part of the pic as an evil that is on it's way but better left in the background.

Nice work

abcxyzboy
02-24-2005, 02:24 AM
oh yeah, my one crit is the fairy on the far right looks like she is posing for playboy rather than being concerned with what is going on in her current reality. If you ever do a 3d model of a WWII bomber you can cut that out and paste it on as the nose art. Still very well done.

DeepGreenJungle
02-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Very nice... a historical look to it.

send2raj
02-24-2005, 02:56 AM
:thumbsup: Very Nice.......simply superb

ashrumm
02-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Despite the great technical achievements of this work and the immense attention to detial. I will have to say the composition of this peice seperate from every other aspect is absolutely amazing.

Great job:thumbsup:

gunslingerblack
02-24-2005, 06:15 AM
wow dude awesome work as usual. if there is one piece i think u should transfer over to 3d like ur last ones it's definitely this one. not that it doesnt look 3d already haha anyways any plans on making a 3d version?

olijosman
02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Excellent image. The color and light use are impressive and the painting shows a history very clearly.Perfect for my :thumbsup:

ingoStudio
02-24-2005, 07:43 AM
beautifully mood!!!

Stahlberg
02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Wow, thanks, I'm so happy! :) olijosman, love your work. I've made a few notes for minor changes, thanks all for the advices.
No plans for 3d right now, but you never know what the future may hold.

brachypelman
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Beautiful !!!

Quizboy
02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Truly a stroke (well probably more than just one stroke) of genius here. Stahlberg you are truly pushing to another level of genius in art, even for yourself. I can see real growth here in the fact that this piece has such a heavy emotional storytelling element to it and you're now really using the 3D as a tool which is in servitude to the art and to the story.

Circumstances willing, the fact that you'll be around for at least another 30 years makes me cringe to imagine the levels you will be able to achieve with your brilliance. Really, really inspiring and amazing!

olijosman
02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
It is an honor that you remember my work
Your paintings are really inspiration, like "Squichy" (I love that image)
Congratulations again

snowkiwi
02-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Awesome Steven! Great to see you back.

I can't believe it's 2D!
The atmosphere is perfect. The look of the man, and combination of the woods behind, the mist, and rocks surrounding him are of sublime quality. The skin of the fairy is so pure, and blending, rich with innocence and beauty.
Praise Steven.

pearson
02-24-2005, 05:58 PM
The painted part of the image is really great! A little muddy in spots, but the lighting and tone is really nice.

The thing that looks off is that you have places of sharp detail in the pathway and on the fairies which make them jump out of the picture. The fairies are also lit by a light that is much stronger than anything else in the scene (and it doesn't seem to come from each other), which further seperates them from the piece.

There are only two places where the fairies are painted to match the background: the red-head's body, which is just a big smear of color; and the shadowed fingers of the fairy that is reaching for the trapped fairy. If you painted the rest of the fairies in this fashion they would fit much better into the picture.

Blodia
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey, I really like your painting , very good composition and nice colors.BUT-

Why would a Fairy(with Wings) be Walking?:)

Stahlberg
02-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Oh, that - hehe. I wanted to use the spring-loaded steel trap, no other trap looks evil enough... (I mean, imagine getting trapped in one meant for a bear - if you're alone you're screwed - brr)... so I imagine the magical flower hypnotizes the fairy and she lands on it, setting it off. :)

yuyanshan
02-26-2005, 05:02 AM
en..i like....like this story than the piture...:thumbsup: :applause:

davi.z
02-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Soooo nice, but a bit cold :P Great work!

Necron-99
02-26-2005, 01:38 PM
This is so deep and moody... like stepping into a story already in progress. Heidi will love it... Fantastic!

2DorNot2D
02-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I love anything original. And this I love to bits.

Absolutely beautiful. Your composition, textures, lighting, and colours have come out very realistically.

Maybe a subtle 'motion' blurring of wings would have been ideal!!

I absolutely love your work.

grooshka
02-26-2005, 06:12 PM
i won't praise your work - it's great enough to know it for sure. I'd like to tell you about my first contact with it: I saw the image and began to "read" it (or name it "feel" it). it was great just to look at the scene and begin to understand it. fairies at the front; one of them trapped; dark silhouette in the back coming for her... what is he up to? nothing good for sure. i was thrilled.
and now i am looking on this short story of yours. and you know what? you told me the "untold". you've taken me the pleasure of wondering what will happen. who is who? maybe those damn pretty-looking fairies are the evil ones and the one bearing a cage is a man who releases the world from them. ;)
don't get me wrong - i love the image, but i'm just saying no artist should write stories about their works, because they already do it on their own! don't you think?

PS the lighting is fine. i realize that fairies can glow in darkness.

Loulu79
02-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Well what can I say...Great Job:buttrock: Speechless as hell!!! But let me get out of being speechless a bit and have a suggestion::love:

Play around with the tree (the closest one in front, with the fairies)...I think it would be interesting to make that 3D...The fairies pop out the most...it would be nice to play that concept a bit...

Anyway...probably for next piece...whatdya say...:scream:

Vassago0666
02-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi! very nice indeed. Always loved ethereal themes and this one is indeed original. Very nice work! Keep it up! Congratulations!

3DCHAOS
02-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Great work! Very Renaissance and Michelangelo's influence.

Squibbit
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
oo nasty! That cat girls pic of yours i didn't really like but this one is great.

Poor fairies..and the catcher looks so cold and stern..dunno the words..great feeling..
makes me wanna make a king catcher pic, hehe :bounce:

Jenela
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
At first: I like the mood of the forest, and the fog is amazing! But there are some things in this picture that distract me from the general idea of the picture.
The fairies are wellshaped voluptueus woman with veeeeryyyy thin wings that haunt my feeling of gravity. Ok you say they are fairies and in a farytale anything is possible. Ok right, but the enormous fairies are in danger and one will be caught soon. They are in big trouble, panicked, devastated because they have to fly away and leave their friend behind.
But unfortually their poses and the expression on their faces seem to be coming from a fashion magazine, they miss all the drama.
The catcher is in my view not in the mood for catching anything, he carries a little box, and he will have a hell of a job to put the fairy in there, but I think he would rather turn back and leave the fairy alone.
I think you are a very talented painter, but I feel you missed the point this time.

Stahlberg
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
but I think he would rather turn back and leave the fairy alone.

Cool, that's what I was thinking when I did it - he doesn't like his job. (But the King will execute him and his whole family if he doesn't fill his daily quota.)

About the fairies poses, many others have the same feeling. I guess it's really hard to pose someone floating in mid-air, keeping it graceful and pretty (which fairies always have to be, even when they're dying), and at the same time true to the drama. Maybe I should have placed them on the ground.

Expressions, well I guess these are not 'deep' creatures, in fact very superficial and naive, you could almost say stupid, in a charming way, sort of like the popular myth about blonde supermodels. They panic easily, and when they do they go all 'oh my, oh dear'. :)

edit:
btw I did tweak the image a little today, among other things made the cage a bit bigger and the catcher looking like he's a bit further away (raising his feet), which makes him look bigger, so the perspective should be better now. It's such a small change I didn't bother posting it though. But I am listening to the crits.

Jenela
02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi Steven, I understand why you made your artistic choices about the characters, thank you for explaining that.

It's a farytale, not reality. Fairies only fly in our brains and they can be present in many shapes. You chose to create them like beautiful, perfect shaped women. I think they are too realistic shaped like normal women to beleave in the magic, not very deep emotions of the fairies you describe in your reaction. When I see real woman (wings or not, it makes no difference to me), I take their emotions very serious, also in art. Real people have real feelings. In this work I see real woman faking emotions like in a B-movie, and not fairies, despite of their well-painted wings. It distracts me, but maybe I am the only one.

I think you reached your goal very well.
Some of the artistic decisions you made in this work are not mine, but the painting style is fabulous!

j3st3r
02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
The fairies remind me the style of classicist painters, like Rembrandt. I think it`s really joyful to see a traditional style artwork, made with the most advanced medium. I like this image a lot.

To me, it`s no problem that a fairy looks like a real woman, I think it`s an adult tale. I remember your other faeries on a bed, one is somehow attacking the other? You should make a faerie book, steven. i tell you honestly, I like this images more than e.g. the Psycho Girlfriend...It has a beautiful mood.

Thanks, for sharing

Stahlberg
02-28-2005, 11:56 PM
I think they are too realistic shaped like normal women

You have a point. I was just getting tired of people calling me a 'pedofile' so I tried extra hard to make these look like adult women. :shrug:

gunslingerblack
03-01-2005, 12:42 AM
haha either way you can't win steven just keep doin what ur doin and the people that are like you will like your work

Jenela
03-01-2005, 08:41 AM
???? that's maybe projection of some people Steven or they are joking to tease you. Nothing to worry about, it's their interpretation, not yours (or mine) .
I am absolutely convinced that you can create anything you want to create, I do'nt have any critics on your painting technique, you are one of the best digital painters I know. I am not sure if your convincing painting talent is balanced with your talent as a storyteller. Maybe could that be a point of attention in future projects?

Well, take my words or leave it. I would jump a hole in my ceiling if I had a fraction of your talent. I have not, but I am working on it.

Sorry for the bad English, I am from Holland.

Kyena
03-01-2005, 09:59 AM
I find it kind of interesting that someone as experienced as you Mister Stahlberg also seems to get a bit insecure upon receiving feedback.

Something I talked to other artists too is the fact that it is terribly hard to learn how to deal with cc. I am still new to all of this and Feedback and cc is on the one hand of course absolutely necessary but it is also hard to define which cc to listen to and which not.

I also made the experience that if I change something for someone then someone else is going to hate it.
However I thought one might get used to this - but then I guess it is much harder then I thought.

What a dilemma - and I was particularly wondering how others deal with this.
I myself am pretty open to art. When I first see a painting or an artwork in general I let it sink in. I am looking at it with the feelings and impressions it gives to me much more then looking for the technical point of view. I for myself don't care at all if the fairies are looking young or like grown ups. I agree that the light did bother me a bit but it still doesn't take away from the beautiful overall impression that painting gives.

Sometimes I think we just need to take a step back and forget about trying to be always technically perfect..and after all we all strive for something different in art..I guess.

I am always a bit bothered if an artist seems to get too concerned about cc and I also just learned that it doesn't really make any difference how long you have been painting..

I guess I got a bit off topic - I apologize. :)

dandan
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Excellent work as always mr. Stahlberg. Wonderfull work on the detail. Maybe i would make it darker just a bit. :applause:

Stahlberg
03-01-2005, 01:42 PM
or they are joking to tease you. Nothing to worry about, it's their interpretation, not yours

Nah, they're not joking, some of them get quite abusive.
The second part, yes I know that's how I should react. I should be above it, I should not care.

But it doesn't work like that. I can't pick and choose and shut off some of my emotions; it's all or nothing. I am in fact hypersensitive, not just to c/c, but to everything in life. Some will see this as a huge drawback, and it could be, if I wasn't aware of it... it certainly isn't much fun sometimes... :) but I think it makes me a better artist. But now I'm getting off topic.

Kyena
03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I actually think being sensitive is one of the greatest skill an artist can have.
It does help to feel what you paint and it does also enable you to see the world differently not only care for the little details but also be able to get it back into your paintings.

But yes - it can also be a drawback. 100 positive feedback won't make a negative harsh one go away.

Jenela
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I am sorry to hear that art critics react sometimes abusive to you. Not that it wonders me, abusive people are represented everywere, so why not in the artistic world. And they are annoying but sometimes very useful to give an impulse to our fantasy.
The 'bad' guy/girl did inspire many, many artists to create their art, he or she is also present in your art Steven. Maybe it's better to thank them for their time and effort to critisize you than let them disturb your feelings.
I think you can't control the thoughts of other people. They react from their own part of reality, and that has mostly nothing, totally nothing to do with your reality. They live in their own world. We all live in our own world.
It is hard to ignore negativism when you are hypersensitive. Try to focus more on the positive side of your sensitivity. It makes you the great artist you are now.

RubenM
03-01-2005, 04:51 PM
wow! Impressive if it was a 2d piece of art, it is even more brilliant in 3d!

I really love the mood, and the contradiction between the faeries (in panic) and the hunter (slowly creeping closer, without any haste).

Very nice!

mr_unanimous
03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Very original. I like the poses of the fairy's.
Incredible job on the forest (looks just like a real forest).

paraplex
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
If someone criticises someones work they generally have to be verbose enough that it becomes pretty easy to tell whether their opinion is worth listening to or not... conversely praise comes succinctly and in bucket loads and its impossible to tell who knows what they are talking about and who is just amateur dazzled by the prettyness of it all :)

Steven, both you and Olijosman are amongst my two favourite CG artists and your humility and your respect for one another is really admirable. That said, you both *really* *truly* know what you are doing on your own and have a tremendous sense of judgement... Being fickle at the behest of your critics is IMHO a very good way to corrupt an otherwise pure artistic vision.

Cheers for another inspirational work
Lachlan

theblackfrog
03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
simply beautiful!! :bounce:

MarkAW
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
OK, I have to say I like the original fairies with the ‘bright light’ - it makes them look ethereal, like their skin glows with light (like an all over body halo).

And leave the cage small so the catcher has to stuff them in by force! Not a nice job.

And keep him (catcher) as is, it looks like he’s near and time has run out.

I think many of the comments would decrease this picture potency (perhaps subconsciously people want to save the fairies!)

Hope that helps.

Stahlberg
03-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks, but you don't have to worry that I'm following ANYone's advice because I'm either COMPLETELY lost, or desperate to please everybody. :)
Here are some reasons for why I (and any artist) should listen quite carefully to most crits though:
1. I have found them in the past, 9 times out of 10, to actually improve the image.
2. Other people see things I can't because I'm too close to it.
3. If many people give the same crit, I can be fairly certain it's got some kind of valid point to it. That's not "design by comittee", that's just common sense. :)

EscaflowneLY
03-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Just great. Impressive also

theblackfrog
03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
just gorgeous!!
More like that please :)

B.F.

ANTIFAN
03-09-2005, 12:33 PM
This is a beautiful image. It tells a great stroy and has wonderful atmosphere.

Blaine
03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
this pic looks really cool, nice work

LiKaiZhou
03-12-2005, 02:39 PM
nice work
I like the fairy

one2hit
03-12-2005, 06:24 PM
wtf is this?? millions of replies of ppl complaining about the light source on the faries? no one knows that faries give OFF their own light?

GOSH, IDIOTS!

anyway good work

MarkAW
03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks, but you don't have to worry that I'm following ANYone's advice because I'm either COMPLETELY lost, or desperate to please everybody.

Here are some reasons for why I (and any artist) should listen quite carefully to most crits though:

1. I have found them in the past, 9 times out of 10, to actually improve the image.

2. Other people see things I can't because I'm too close to it.

3. If many people give the same crit, I can be fairly certain it's got some kind of valid point to it. That's not "design by comittee", that's just common sense.

I agree critics are very handy when learning, but when critiques move on from substance to style, critics become obsolete.

I think you have your own style…

Stahlberg
03-13-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks!
But, well I think I'm still learning... also the line between substance and style can be blurry...
And if I have a style, it's bound to permeate any change I might make. :)

Having said that, the crits you offered I can definitely see a good point there too... It's just that there was indeed a perspective problem in the picture at first, which I didn't see until my attention was called to it. (It easily happens in scenes where there are no firm vanishing lines and horizon etc.)
The way the fairies look, well in fact in some ways my original painted fairies were better (which I haven't posted here), and this is a problem I shall have to adress more in the future if I'm to use 3d like this again. I guess I just didn't spend enough time on posing and lighting the 3d models, and later on overpainting them.

MarkAW
03-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks!
But, well I think I'm still learning... also the line between substance and style can be blurry...
And if I have a style, it's bound to permeate any change I might make. :).

We are all learning, but if a critic steps into the style side of things then they are limiting the artist not helping. If the critic is addressing an actual problem, then it is more valid, but I doubt Picasso much cared for accurate anatomy if it got in the way of his vision.

Having said that, the crits you offered I can definitely see a good point there too... It's just that there was indeed a perspective problem in the picture at first, which I didn't see until my attention was called to it. (It easily happens in scenes where there are no firm vanishing lines and horizon etc.)

Glad they where taken in good faith, I must admit I’m interested in what was wrong with the perspective. I read through the thread but could find what was said other that your reference about it being wrong at the bottom of page 3, do you have links to both versions?

The way the fairies look, well in fact in some ways my original painted fairies were better (which I haven't posted here), and this is a problem I shall have to adress more in the future if I'm to use 3d like this again. I guess I just didn't spend enough time on posing and lighting the 3d models, and later on overpainting them.

I think many artists think the original sketch is better than the finial piece, as it still leaves a little room for imagination to work. Do you have a link?

M

gggriggg
03-13-2005, 11:48 AM
WOW! You get the feelings of the little Fairy by watching this Image! Amazing!

Stahlberg
03-14-2005, 04:36 AM
the first version:
http://www.androidblues.com/Trapper3.jpg

The perspective, well you can see here that I originally imagined the fairies quite small in relation to the trapper (note the one alrady in the cage), but according to the perspective the ones in the foreground would be much bigger. I don't think I completely fixed this, but at least I ameliorated it (by moving the trapper slightly up, and enlarging the cage). And anyway, as I mentioned, when you can't see the horizon, and when you don't know if the path is tilted or of uniform width, it's flexible.

MarkAW
03-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Hmm, well perspective is relative, basically the management of an optical illusion so it is never really wrong as such, unless it looks wrong. This original doesn’t look wrong to me, it looks softer but that’s about it.

As for perspective; Camera lenses may distort a the edges, but humans can move their eyes/ turn their head, so the image we see in our mind is always a composite of billions of snap shots. All this means is that the fairies aren’t going to be as big when viewed in ‘reality’ as they would through a camera. Unfortunately artist tend to use photo reference a lot these days, and they forget that a photo is actually wrong, in reality it doesn’t look like that to us. Little things like managing optical illusions are a bit of a dieing art, but all the good artists have it in the back of their mind (and I think your art shows its there).

Looking at both, I like them both, I think I prefer the new one not because of the perspective change but because they are ‘cooler’ looking, cooler as in temp/ colour and this makes they seem otherworldly (like they are not really living).

However, I may prefer the new image, but the original is better technically, the only thing really missing is the flower.

Thanks for showing me the original, and I look forward to seeing your next piece.

M

ajsa51
04-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Very inspiring work! Thank you!:thumbsup:

sirBS
04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
very cool,very coldly and very painfully

jenn-yu
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
one more master artwork u done!!! i really love your work, especially your character modeling and the mood of your work !! like painting! i just wonder how do u arrange ur time in ur life!....family, business, own work and.........etc! i just can say : INCREDIBLE!!!

kisalon
03-24-2006, 03:11 PM
I really really have fallen in love with this piece... Such a tragic scene with so much emotion. And of course the technicue is beyond beautiful :applause:

5* for sure :thumbsup:

QQ2008
06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
厉害!颜色漂亮!我喜欢……

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.