PDA

View Full Version : object lights

francescaluce
02-22-2005, 01:19 AM
http://img134.exs.cx/img134/3557/lightobjstars3bu.jpg
http://img70.exs.cx/img70/4918/objlightfinalimage3gg.jpg
http://img134.exs.cx/img134/8977/lightobjstrip7da.jpg

mentalray supports arbitrary geometric objects as area lights.
maya too, if you use the ctrl_objectlights. :)

http://img240.exs.cx/img240/1723/ctrlolightmayainterface3ui.th.jpg (http://img240.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img240&image=ctrlolightmayainterface3ui.jpg)
ctrl.studio

Jackdeth
02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Ummmm......cought (linux) cough.:):)

a23
02-22-2005, 01:37 AM
just great francesca!

i was ready to go to bed, but now i guess i'll be spending some more time in maya ;-)
i've been looking forward to a straightforward process off having objects as area lights and i can't believe that no vendor has implemented this funtionality of MR inside a UI, since it's been on the MR feature list for quite a while.

well, thank's again to you and your fellow colleagues at ctrl.studio.

p.s. over on xsibase i've seen that your studio has released multipass shaders for mental ray. any chance we get these in maya too? these might very well come in handy.

good night,

andy

T-R
02-22-2005, 03:20 AM
wow this will be great for tonnes of situations!
Thank you francescalucehttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif.

slipknot66
02-22-2005, 03:27 AM
:buttrock: !!! francescaluce!!!:love:

Jozvex
02-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Yes yes yes!! I've wanted this ever since Maya first got Mental Ray!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zuao
02-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi,

got some problems. I'm using Maya 6.0.1.
First I could not create an objectlight by help of the usage notes ... means, I did the connections and everything without errors, but in the rendering the effect didn't appear.

So, I tried the sample scene, but this one isn't working too. For that the connections could not be made and there are following error messages:

// Error: line 1: The ctrl_objectlights 'ctrl_objectlights1' has no 'S11' attribute. //
// Error: line 1: Could not make connection; could not find source plug ctrl_objectlights1.S11' //

Besides, what is the pCube2 in the sample scene for?

---
EDIT

problem solved. see post below.

EDIT
---

ciao,
nando.

MunCHeR
02-22-2005, 11:14 AM
excuse my ignorance, but whats the difference between this shader and using a surface shader?

ditto what jackdeth said :D

MunCH

floze
02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
excuse my ignorance, but whats the difference between this shader and using a surface shader?
Ummm... I guess the advantage of a light is it emits light. It is able cast proper shadows, shade your objects properly and even emits photons. If you used a surface shader you'd need to have fg on by the way..

Thx a million for that francesca! How did you solve it? I've been trickling around with that a while but couldnt get it to work within maya..

zuao
02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
about my problem i posted before, i did found some more information.

API 0.0 error 301030: C:/Programme/Alias/Maya6.0/mentalray/include/ctrl_objectlights.mi, line 5: mi file requires ray version 3.4 or newer, this is 3.3.1

:/

so, my fault. I put the Maya 6.5 include files into my Maya 6.0.1 Installation. Strange, that there was no error message for mental ray starting up.

ciao,
nando.

romeu
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
one more time,
thanks a lot francesca,
it is realy cool...

GaryHaus
02-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Hey all!

Could someone please compile this for the OS X version of Maya 6.5? Have been wanting this for quite some time. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Gary

mimo8
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
thnx francesca,
:thumbsup:
what you do by sharing all this great work with the mr community is incredible cool.

As Muncher said, I also first thought we are allready able to do so, by turning up the incadescence and render it with FG ... but beeing able to do the trick without physical calculation of photons - I wanna have this.

PLEASE OSX

swag
02-22-2005, 01:39 PM
♥♥♥francesca♥♥♥

J-Wicz
02-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Great! Many thanks for this contribution!
More descent stuff is coming from you in the last time than from Alias ; - )

The shader goes nice with maya-glow. Though It's a mixture of ctrl_geolight and the incadescence approach:
test with glow (http://www.orangelab.de/tempphj/forumposts/geolight_quadrant01.jpg)

(no fg, fg, fg+glow, fg+glow)

I switched back to incadescence because when you use a decay the geometry light visible part behaves strange (fades out)

I tested a bit, but I'm not sure if the photons are really emmiting from all over the geometry.

If I find some time I'll test it with mr volume!

cheers
J-Wicz

popol
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
pfiooouuuu! a other great one:thumbsup:

many thanks !!!

J-Wicz
02-22-2005, 04:39 PM
made some more quick tests
hallway test (http://orangelab.de/tempphj/forumposts/geolight_quadrant02.jpg)
1.) (top left) no decay, no fg, no gi
2.) gi YES! the photons are really emmited from all over the geometry light : - )
3.) quadratic decay
4.) quadratic decay and fg

This time the decay worked fine and I did not get the incorrect fading I mentioned in my previous post, so I assume I screwd up some options in my first test.

cheers

dagon1978
02-22-2005, 04:40 PM
oh my...!!
u're so great!! :scream: :scream:
many many thanx francesca :love: :love:

MunCHeR
02-23-2005, 07:09 PM
cough...any news on the linux version....cough :D

MunCH

francescaluce
03-02-2005, 04:29 AM
ctrl_geocolor for maya,
allows a 'textured' object to influence color shadows and falloff of the linked light.

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/3489/ctrltwoside3em.jpg

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/61/ctrlgeolightsshdws3jv.jpg
http://img212.exs.cx/img212/3774/ctrlgeocmstrip1oc.jpg
http://img231.exs.cx/img231/9243/ctrlgl2cvfull32029sb.jpg

Jackdeth
03-02-2005, 04:31 AM
cough...any news on the linux version....cough :D

MunCH

cough....cough

Jozvex
03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey Francesca (great work again by the way!), when using 'visible' MR area lights in Maya with falloff, it seems to be that the further away from the light you are the darker the light object appears.

For example, with a 'visible' spherical area light using no falloff, the sphere appears white. But when you turn on falloff the light will turn black if the camera is somewhat far away from the light.

Is there any way around that? Perhaps your new ctrl_geocolour will fix it (I only just downloaded it). One way to fix it is by using the physical_light shader attached to the area light, but you can't change the falloff type that way.

:shrug:

jauhndabz
03-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Pardon the ignorance.. is the objectlights an mi or a dll? Where do I put it?

floze
03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
One way to fix it is by using the physical_light shader attached to the area light, but you can't change the falloff type that way.
Yahaaa, gotcha! :cool:
Yesterday I was thinking if I should open a thread about that, but then I decided not to do.. maybe I was wrong.
Ok: Attach a physical_light to your light, turn on 'Emit Photons' (no matter if you plan to really use GI or not) and set the 'Exponent' value to something you think is cool and see what happens! :D
The formula for the falloff is: 1/e^d where e is the 'Exponent' value and d the distance between the light source and the illuminated point. Enjoy the most flexible falloff you've ever seen! :thumbsup:

Jozvex
03-02-2005, 08:17 AM
THANKYOU!

Thank heavens for that. Great work discovering that floze. It's a weird step but the main thing is that it works!

:applause:

floze
03-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, spread that knowledge! Maybe we should open a thread about that.. :beer:

francescaluce
03-02-2005, 01:31 PM
when using 'visible' MR area lights in Maya with falloff, it seems to be that the further away from the light you are the darker the light object appears.
I donno this problem.. but geocolor has its own falloff and should not suffer about this.
there're 3/4 scenes enclosed so eventually test it. works good here.

ninus3d
03-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Hm, this is making an object become actual light emitting thus far better, or at least, something completely different from turning up incadescence on a texture and adding FG?

Guess what im really eager to get an answear to, will this be FASTER then using the FG method?
The amount of FG rays required for an object of a normal size to lit up a complete scene is usually enourmous thus making my cpu wanna go suicidial everytime i play with it but this should fix it? Or? :)

Jozvex
03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Well, depending on the object you use for a light, it can be as fast as normal area lights or slower. I used a really long swirly-all-around ribbon for a test and it needed quite high settings to look good, so it was slow. But for most normal shapes it's about the same as using a normal area light. Except way better because you can texture it and do heaps of other cool things!

Using a FG object might be faster, because with FG you can control the smoothness of the samples, so you could basically undersample the area light effect, whereas with normal area lights you can't undersample to get less detailed but faster results.

ninus3d
03-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Hm, I see!
Well, gonna give this a shot then :)

francescaluce
03-03-2005, 01:31 PM
what you don't see for the moment is that this 'technique' is not necessary to be used in
conjunction with fg/gi.. but really the opposite.. it adds a good sort of light variation without
having to resort to indirect illumination... the best thing one can do is to uvmap his object and
literaly paints light via the maya paint3D feature.. to give nuances to the light environment,
falloff variations and so on... area lights are still slow compared to occlusion but faster and
more 'deterministic' than fg/gi with animation. set against normal point lights they could
be an extraordinary time saver.. where you need to precisely plan the light location using
normal lighting with an object light you can light your meshes just modelling your geometry,
and if with standard obj lights you can't control the light distribution, with the geocolor you'll
get easy access also to this. if you wanna get faster render you can also use a geolight
just to 'light' and then occlusion or dmaps in another pass or framebuffer to get your shdws.

ciao
francesca

ninus3d
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
This sounds awesome :)
Playing around, to bad I dont have the sufficent experience with this kind of work to be fully creative, but atleast replacing the FG part will be a fun experiment for me!

Uhm, dumb question maybe, but is this your doings? :P

pjrich
03-14-2005, 08:20 PM
For the record, the attached zip in the first post contains a rar with no extension. WinZip won't recognize it as an archive, but WinRAR will extract a file named simply "ctrl_objectlights". Add ".rar" to this file's name and extract to get the goods.

Cheers,
Peter

Jozvex
03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
It's not Francesca, it seems to be CGTalk doing that or something.

People keep emailing me about the same thing with zip files I've posted, yet when I download the zips they just contain the files....weird.

lazzhar
03-15-2005, 08:33 AM
It's not Francesca, it seems to be CGTalk doing that or something.

People keep emailing me about the same thing with zip files I've posted, yet when I download the zips they just contain the files....weird.

Haha ! I'm glad I'm not crazy !

nojjy
03-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Doing all of the connections to make the object lights work is tedious so I wrote the attached script to speed up the process a bit.

To use:

-- pick the object you want to make a light (only works for the first object selected)
-- in the script editor, source the MEL file attached to this message
-- run "jpMakeObjectLight" from the script editor or the command line

Enjoy.

Updated, now works with multiple objects, and point constrains the light to the object.
EDIT 12-07-2005: sorry, now REALLY works with multiple objects. includes an icon.

francescaluce
03-17-2005, 01:16 AM
ehy thks a lot Jon,
I will give it a try in the next days
where I will update also the shader
for maya with new features we made
for xsi... well, not the color at vertex map
support but yes for the obj normals.
until only point lights are supported by mentalray
for object lighting, each point on the obj spreads
light in a 360° fashion, so it is difficult to ctrl
color blending when using a texture, with the new
update one will have a good ctrl over this aspect.
here a cube with different colors for each face.

http://img14.exs.cx/img14/7954/ctrlgeocnormals5eh.jpg

ciao
francesca

dagon1978
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
great work!! :scream: :scream:
thanx again ;)

ciau

mat

nojjy
03-17-2005, 04:03 PM
No problem francescaluce! Thanks for making so many useful shaders. I'll try to update the apply script when you update the shader.

Also let me chime in with Jackdeth about how useful linux versions of your shaders would be. Jackdeth, if you get any of them compiled please let us know, and if you need help compiling them PM me and I can probably help you out with that.

jon

GaryHaus
03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Is anyone able to compile for osx? Thank you for your time.

Gary Haus

francescaluce
03-17-2005, 06:21 PM
yep. with the next update I wll cleanup also the code
to be ready for a linux version. prob also a mac one.
don't worry !! :)
..is that, most of the time the code has so many pseudo
code in it, ideas, future devs, queer headers linking and
so on that I cannot simply make a zip and send it.

/f

floze
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Got a little question:
Is there (or will there be) a way to influence the light's photon energy on a texture basis, like it is possible with the direct illumination?

Maya's photon energy handling really is and ever was a pain in the butt.

francescaluce
03-17-2005, 08:46 PM
it was the first thing we tried, a photon emitter shader based on textures..
but every time the tex lists are accessed mr crashes.

/f

lovisx
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
francescaluce do you have a website with all your shaders on it?

mimo8
03-25-2005, 11:45 PM
hi francesca, hi everybody,
I started this thread some days ago to see if people wanna try to bring this great shader over to OSX:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223527
now tom_c posted in there and offered to do the job, so all we would need to bring it to mayamac is the source. I saw that francesca is cleaning up the code and thinking to work on a linux and perhaps even a OSX version, but if you like the idea of having a helping hand doing so, you could hand it over to tom_c and let him give a try.

leo25
06-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I can’t get the object light to move. It moves in Maya but when I go to render its still in the same spot. Can someone please help me with this? Could someone write all the link ups that need to be made in order to get this to work properly.

LehaS
06-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanx for the chance to use your great shaders francesca....:)

But i encountered problems while trying to make my geometry visible....
I set up everything the way it should be....at least all the info i found in this thread was analized and implemented.... still all i get is FG and shadow from point light...
But i can`t setup my sphere to be emissive.... i m using 6.0.1
I checked several times all the settings, the names in ctrl_objectlights node but no avail....

I m posting the scene and image file in case someone will be able to track the problem....

Thanx in advance

Alexi

francescaluce
06-25-2005, 01:40 PM
man, I cannot open your scene coz
I'm not using the same shader I posted.
but did you already try the scene that
comes with the shader pack ?

ciao
francesca

LehaS
06-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeap and the same story there....everything is present except of the emissive object...

I took render right after i opened your scene....without a single click...:)

Can it be some scaling issue...? because on the render instead of the torus i see small point instead.....

At the time i m writing this post i figured out what happened....SCALE

The point i got by default is just because of different scale systems i guess....

But its really annoying because i have to scale it to gigantic size each time ....

Still have no clue how to set it in my scene...

francescaluce
06-25-2005, 02:01 PM
yep, scale is always an important factor.
eventually try also the script by jon, here
http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2051220&postcount=36

/f

francescaluce
07-08-2005, 12:54 AM
added::

.physical attenuation
.object normals
.trace depth
.linux version (ctrl_objectlights)

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8561/ctrlgeocolor125fy.th.gif (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ctrlgeocolor125fy.gif)

ciao
francesca

mattcioffi
07-17-2005, 09:39 AM
cool

where do i get ctrl_geocolor?

i can't seem to get this working in maya6.5 -- tried using jp's script but it's looking for ctrl_geocolor

thanks

floze
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
cool

where do i get ctrl_geocolor?

i can't seem to get this working in maya6.5 -- tried using jp's script but it's looking for ctrl_geocolor

thanks
It's included with the file Francesca released on first page. Maybe you have an old version of this archive.

mattcioffi
07-17-2005, 08:49 PM
yes that'll do it floze. thanks. was using the one off highend3d.

another killer tool from you francescaluce :beer:

are you gonna throw us maya users a bone on your multidisplace shader?

deadgraphicsociety
08-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Thank You Francesca for this ! M I T I C A !

:) ciao

anthonymcgrath
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
hi Francesca,
I haven't played with this yet but this looks exactly like the kind of thing I would like to do with my cars headlamps. I have some questions tho:

Is it possible with the objects light scattering to direct it at all? for example - if My polygon shape is a simple flat plane is the light directed forward from the polyplanes normals or scattered outward as it would be if it were a sphere shape? I'm not sure what its doing but it does look very very useful!!

volume light rays from my object - If I have an object light in my scene giving off the correct light falloff and wotnot can I simply add parti_volume to get light fog in the light rays? this would make it insanely useful esp. for my current animation project :D

ps - thanks for supplying these free to all too :)

anthonymcgrath
10-20-2005, 09:52 AM
reet brace yerselves - heres my attempt haha. I noticed you need a dummy object and ctrl_objectlight node for each shape you want to be a light. also and this one boggled my brain for a bit - I had to keep the lightshape at global zero or it offset the effect from the objects world space co-ords - that hurt my head for a few mins doh!

the blue shape is a straight no decay pointlight and intensity of 1

the red has a linear falloff and an intensity of 500!

question - how can I further control the light falloff?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/anthonymcgrath/obj_as_light.jpg

anthonymcgrath
10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
hey guys for the record I had a play around with the parti_volume shader and a physical light and it seemed to work just fine!

So I set about creating a proxy object which is in the shape of my cars headlight.

I apply the parti volume to a surrounding box and finally add the physical light to my lightshape.

My only problem now is the back faces of my proxy object are emitting light which is bleaching my headlight mesh - however the front faces give a brilliant result scattering light onto the road ahead.

Is there any way to prevent the faces on the back from emitting light - will the ctrol_geocolour help me fix this?

please somebody reply - I'm so chuffed I found this shader and I'm itching to get results from it!! :)

francescaluce
10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Is there any way to prevent the faces on the back from emitting light - will the ctrol_geocolour help me fix this? yep. just enable 'normals' under the ObjectLight
panel rollout. you can also limit the spread of
your 'point' light transforming them into 'spot' lights.
enable also interpolate to get a smooth transition
betwenn each different point light.

/f

anthonymcgrath
10-20-2005, 06:39 PM
thanks Francesca that worked great - now my only query is how to get the light to emit off the normals and not the 'edges' of my polygons - dont know if I'm making sense really tho haha!

my polyplane that emits the light is basically a flat polyplane which is essentially four faces - I then select the middle vertex of this shape and pull it backward and that will become my lightobject. kill all the history, make sure its scale is 1,1,1 and then put it in the world pos I want it to light from.
When I use that enable normals option it works great and I get some nice results but the light emits off at a tangent from the normal rather than travelling along the normal.

dont get me wrong I can work with it and I'll get MUCH better results with this objectLight shape in my car anims headlamps than my original method but It was just something I was wondering about and if its easy to adjust so the light emits outward along the normal and not so much at a tangent from the normal?

fantastic mr shader tho - thanks again!! :bounce:

francescaluce
10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
nope. that thing is controlled internally by mentalray.
I think it puts a light on each point vertex of the mesh.

ciao
francesca

anthonymcgrath
10-21-2005, 09:18 AM
after adding the parti volume and getting some volume light effects I found that you can edit that falloff further by changing the 'start' value that sits beneath the exponent in the geocolour options.
by default its at 0 and the end is at 100.

lightobject is set to physical as always but If I change the values beneath so the start is at about 30 or 40 I start getting a more spotlight like effect from the objects shape.

I still need to play about with it more but I had real difficulty getting fog with the parti volume - I find that I have to turn that scattering colour value up to get pronounced fog effects in the light but then that also bleaches the rest of the scene with fog.

might have to lose the lightfog in my scene - I only want to do a seperate pass and comp it in afterward but its really faffing with my head :/

agentex
11-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Is anybody using these shaders with Maya 7?

I'm getting error messages stating both crtl_geolight and crtl_objectlights as undeclared functions.

Hirni_NG
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Is anybody using these shaders with Maya 7?

I'm getting error messages stating both crtl_geolight and crtl_objectlights as undeclared functions.

Me too, in Maya 7 I can not connect any of the geometry shaders to a transform node.
My errors are:

connectAttr -force mib_geo_cylinder1.message |locator1.message;
// Error: The attribute 'locator1.message' cannot be connected to 'mib_geo_cylinder1.message'. //
"connectWindowWith mib_geo_cylinder1.message locator1.message";
// Error: "connectWindowWith mib_geo_cylinder1.message locator1.message"; //
// Error: Syntax error //

I got it, seems the Maya scripts werent updated to the .miGeoShader attribute....

francescaluce
11-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't know on my maya7 any geoshader attached via the CreateRenderNode
seems to return an error in the script editor. I think it is a maya bug as this
does not happen in any previous versions. all I do is to drag the geoshader from
the hypershade to the mr geo field in the transform panel of the obj I'm going
to use for that, or simply hardtype its name in the input field; in this manner
works quite good. if you found other way to fix this let me know.

ciao
francesca

Hirni_NG
11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't know on my maya7 any geoshader attached via the CreateRenderNode
seems to return an error in the script editor. I think it is a maya bug as this
does not happen in any previous versions. all I do is to drag the geoshader from
the hypershade to the mr geo field in the transform panel of the obj I'm going
to use for that, or simply hardtype its name in the input field; in this manner
works quite good. if you found other way to fix this let me know.

ciao
francesca

Is is nothing big but definitly a bug. They introduced the .miGeoShader attribute and forgot to update the Template scripts. If one connects by hand everything works fine. The jpmakeObjectlight.mel script does it correctly by the way. It would be probably a good idea to include this script with the shader release, saves a lot of hassle...

fabergambis
11-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Great francesca(the queen of)luce!!! This shader should work great for neon lights or similiar.

Cony69
12-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi everybody and thanks a lot francesca for Ctrl_objectlight and Geocolor :) and also Nojjy for the useful script.

I would like to know where i could set the quality of the shadows emitting by the objectlight?
I search in the geocolor attributes but i can't find .....There 're just the "Enable", the Umbracolor and the TraceDepth....

Here is a test render....

http://signalethik.free.fr/testobjectlight.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Bye
ps: Excuse my poor english....hihi

Cony69
12-05-2005, 12:51 PM
hi everyone and Thanks a lot Francesca for Ctrl_Objectlight !! :)

I would like to know how i can set the shadow quality emitting by the object light?
I can't find the attribute for this....

Thanks in advance for your help !

Here is my test render...
http://signalethik.free.fr/testobjectlight.jpg

anthonymcgrath
12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
select the light

under lightshape, open the mental ray area light properties and increase the sampling values. they're usually at about 2 & 3 ...set em to something like 3 and 6

nojjy
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Has ctrl_geocolor ever been compiled for linux? I see the linux version of ctrl_objectlights but not ctrl_geocolor.

nojjy
12-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Is there any *other* way to control which normal of an object is lit other than ctrl_geocolor? As of right now there's no linux version of that and so it's off limits to me.

francescaluce
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
wait a bit man, I'm adding vertex color support.
one will just paint in viewport his objs and they
will return that colors as geo lights. obvioiusly
I'm finding some problems doing that.. cannot
find the 'address' where cpv reside.. any dev
that already found where they are in maya7 ?

ciao
francesca

schwaiger
12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
is this beauty compiled for osx too ???

preludian
12-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Had some problems with the file, first it was saved as attachment.php, after renaming it in ctrl_geolight.zip it was fine. But the content somehow irritated me, it was only for Maya, there were no spdl's. Does anybody has the working files for xsi 5.x ?

Most gracefully

Preludian

Lorecanth
12-21-2005, 01:48 AM
the content irritated you ? This is the maya rendering forum.

preludian
12-21-2005, 08:21 AM
the content irritated you ? This is the maya rendering forum.

oopsala :D did a search for Ctrl_Objectlight and it didn't even come into my mind that Maya doesn't have that integrated. Oh well, nothing happened, back to work, hehe...:beer:

Frohe Weihnachten
preludian

francescaluce
03-18-2006, 02:59 AM
guys !! :scream:
support for ColorPerVertex sets.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9145/geolightcpvbeta18ha.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geolightcpvbeta18ha.jpg)

ciao
francesca

popol
03-18-2006, 12:10 PM
WOW!
look really nice!

dagon1978
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
that's great! thanx so much francesca! :scream:

slipknot66
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Thank you francescaluce

mental
03-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey Francesca,

Is that just a preview or did you upload the latest release with CPV support?

The geolights pack on the first page is from 07-07-2005.

-mental :surprised

francescaluce
03-19-2006, 06:25 PM
ehy mental, how is it going ? :)

I was looking to add full support for CPV before release
the beta pubblic. now it is almost done.

a fancy thing I added is that we can now ctrl geolight intensity
also with a cpv map. this allow to precisely model your light
rig using only few objlights as you can ctrl the intensity of any
point emitting light in the geometry by just painting on it a bw
cpv map.

here a screenshot of the workinprogress.
as with maya7.0 there's support for multiple cpv sets via the
ColorSetEdtor we just paint multiple maps and then we can
switch or use them in different places or for different times in
the animation. for example we can just set a cpv as light rig
for the morning, one for the afternoon and so on and instantly
switch to the one we wanna test or render out. a black and white
cpvmap can be used also for light intensity and light falloff to
finely ctrl light distribution. the cornell box for example has just
three lights: one for the box, one for the items and one to cast
shadows. the two thumbs display the simple light rig for the light
that has to illuminate the items.. you just paint colors and light
intensities in paint efx maya style. as a geometry object has not
to be a single piece.. with multiple pieces of geometry under the
same obj and with the possibilities to paint the associated
intensities we can do a lot with a single light. for those that use
gi and finalgather and don't care about manual light rig it could
be usefull for example to paint some midgrey intensities on an
cpv map to not burn out close walls when placing an objlight in
front of their windows in an interior lighting setup.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8237/geocolorcpvbeta028yv.jpg
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/985/geocolorcpvbeta02colcpv9hc.th.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geocolorcpvbeta02colcpv9hc.jpg)http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7289/geocolorcpvbeta02intcpv2ap.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geocolorcpvbeta02intcpv2ap.jpg)

ciao
francesca

donvlatko
03-19-2006, 08:12 PM
is there a version for M7>?

schwaiger
03-19-2006, 10:24 PM
is there any way to compile this beauty for osx ???

thx flo

Randolph
03-20-2006, 02:54 PM
is there a version for M7>?

The 6.5 version will work for 7.0(.1) too, because both of them have - nearly - the same MentalRay version. Just have a look at posts #64 - 66 of this thread.

pixelmonk
03-20-2006, 04:13 PM
you are sooo hot when you post these things for us. Thanks again :)

francescaluce
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
last update. I cpv'ed the whole shader :)
now we ctrl color, intensity, falloff and even
shadows via cpv maps. it means that actually
different pieces of geometry (from the same obj)
can be painted to resemble indipendent lights.

for example the img below is a single light.
the two pieces are painted with four cpv
to get out the light situation. the piece on
the left does not cast shadows and its tint
is pinkreddish with a dimmed intensity and
fallof to gently reach the items. the one on
the left has full shadow full intensity and a
blank color.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8634/geocolor15beta39si.th.jpg (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geocolor15beta39si.jpg)

ciao
francesca

francescaluce
03-21-2006, 12:41 AM
ctrl.geocolor v1.5 upped. :)
(windows32bit - maya7.0)

take care of a couple of things::

.to apply a ColorPerVertex map goto EditPolygons->Colors->ColorSetEditor
and click New. there the first map is the cpv.map 0 in the geocolor shader
and so on incrementally.
.to enable CPV support for mentalray, you have two ways:
goto RenderGlobals->Translation->ExportVertexColor or
apply a mentalrayVertexColor shader to the object you're
going to use as geo light.

after that, paint your cpv map with PaintVertexColorTool

.when you paint Shadows the actual umbra color is used as
a multiplier.. that means you'll put it to white to replace the
color with those in the cpv map. painting white on the cpv
will tell the shader to not produce shadows.
.when you paint Intensity the cpv should be b/w and done
considering that it will be multiplied by the Intensity factor.
that is, start by flooding with white and paint dark.. where
white the light will have full intensity while on greys it will
be dimmed.
.when painting Falloff a b/w map should be used. it will be
multiplied over the Stop setting. again where white the Stop
value is preserved where darker it will be dimmed.

to precisely assign colors use the ApplyColor (you can select
directly vertices to get involved).

here a raw test also on a fg scene.
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/3692/geolighcpvfg7wj.th.jpg (http://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geolighcpvfg7wj.jpg)

ciao
francesca

dagon1978
03-21-2006, 02:58 AM
it's working good francesca :thumbsup:
but i had some strange crash with reflective shaders

dagon1978
03-21-2006, 03:26 AM
here's a quick test, nothing special

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6044/cpv5mv.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3309/cpv03kg.jpg

btw, i can't use reflections in this scene, maya is crashing all time :(

francescaluce
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
hi dagon, no problem here with reflections.
the light shader itself does not deal with
reflections and such. did you try the
included scene, I put a phongE on the items
and maya rendered without problems.
thanks for testing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7955/geocolorreflect7yt.jpg

edit:: ehy, I see it now. it is when Visible is enabled from
the area light panel so the reflections try to reflect the
actual object light. I'll see if I can support it, I would like
to be able to show off also the cpv, but actually better to
leave disabled the Visible feature.

ciao
francesca

dagon1978
03-21-2006, 02:46 PM
hi dagon, no problem here with reflections.
the light shader itself does not deal with
reflections and such. did you try the
included scene, I put a phongE on the items
and maya rendered without problems.
thanks for testing.

edit:: ehy, I see it now. it is when Visible is enabled from
the area light panel so the reflections try to reflect the
actual object light. I'll see if I can support it, I would like
to be able to show off also the cpv, but actually better to
leave disabled the Visible feature.

ciao
francesca

pixelmonk
03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Does ctrl_objectlights work with Maya 7? I finally downloaded the pack from page 1 of this thread and there is no "M7" directory in the zip. I used the 6.5 version, with the sample scenes, and all I get is pure white objects with no ground plane (no, alpha is not turned on in the render view window.).

francescaluce
03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
... I forgot to upload the m7 folder.
now it is there. :)

ciao
francesca

francescaluce
03-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I fixed the bug with reflections and obj lights
set to visible.

ciao
francesca

aadams
03-30-2006, 01:04 AM
is there any example scenes?

I am having trouble setting my basic test up....

also the jpmakeobjectscript doesnt work...

its says cant find a procedure getBaseName

thanks in advance

francescaluce
03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
yep. I included a scene. but all you have to do
is to attach a geoshader to a dummy obj. from
there load the ctrl_objlights, type in the name
of your (transform)object and your (shape)light.
then from your light attach a geocolor shader
to use the new features.

ciao
francesca

aadams
03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
thank you mental ray goddess for answering my prayers...your scene works...its just that I thought I did everything right...i checked and double double checked a billion times before i posted...

aadams
03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
also I dont have access to the object normals in geo color.

aadams
03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
now it works! in the first test where I copied your scene...joy !

aadams
03-30-2006, 09:51 PM
this is the cats meow!

how high should you up the parameters to correct for aliasing...I love this because it seems alot more stable for outdoor scenes....and you can have unlimited color maps...COOL...so much potential...with something so simple.

is there anyway to use a lower anti alias setting for faster rendering?

are less points on your light object better for faster rendering?

also is there a way to bake an image into an objects vertices?

thanks in advance

Cloudstriff
04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi guys, I downloaded your shader and installed it, but I have absolutly no Idea where to go from there as the instructions provided don't seem to help me too much.

I know the basics of mental ray and shading networks n such, so could someone please explain to me how to set this up so I can have an object emit light from itself using Final Gather?

Thanks.

fabergambis
04-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I made some tests in Maya7 and it seems all working fine, also with FG & GI and with reflective surfaces. Still some doubt persists about cpv but it's probably my fault. I would like to thank Francesca for another stunning utility and nojjy for his useful script.

fabergambis
04-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi guys, I downloaded your shader and installed it, but I have absolutly no Idea where to go from there as the instructions provided don't seem to help me too much.

I know the basics of mental ray and shading networks n such, so could someone please explain to me how to set this up so I can have an object emit light from itself using Final Gather?

Thanks.
Download the nojjy's MEL script at page 2 of this thread and copy it in your scripts folder. Then create an obj (a plane for example), open the script editor>file>source script and click jpMakeObjectLight. It should make the whole work with a simple click. It works for me.
Hope it helps.

Cloudstriff
04-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Alright I downloaded the script, and tried to run it, here is what I did :

-Brand new scene
-Create poly plane and select it
-Opened script editor and went file-->source script
-Selected jpMakeObjectLight.mel
-Typed in jpMakeObjectLight and went script-->execute

I then got the error :

Error: Cannot find procedure "getBaseName".

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

francescaluce
04-08-2006, 10:26 PM
first.... you're not forced to use the jpMakeObjectLight.
I never did and personally I don't know if it's working in maya7.0.
then....

I know the basics of mental ray and shading networks n such, so could someone please explain to me how to set this up so I can have an object emit light from itself using Final Gather? object lights are not for this purpose. to get what you're looking
for you just need to increase the incandescence of your material.

ciao
francesca

aadams
04-08-2006, 11:21 PM
i love this shader so much, but how can smooth the artifacts out without boosting up render time???

it takes soooo long to render without the artifacts.

francescaluce
04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
aadams they are area lights and need sometimes
high sampling to be smooth. is that if you use them
as standard lights you'll need less or more the same
sampling you need with a standard area light.
controlling that is an 'art' as there're a lot of
factors that could be involved in the thing.. like
don't use too big objects.. don't use too dense
objects.. don't use objects where you have
multiple pieces of geometry and where they're
too much different in size and polygons count..
in that case maybe use two different object lights..
don't put object lights too close to the geometry
to be enlighted or use falloffs to ctrl that.. don't
use too high intensities.. you see there're a lot
of things to be considered. personally I'm going
fine with them rightnow and where I've to use
an area light I always use just an object light.
for example the example supplied with the pack
does not require more sampling than any other
area light and with a medium setting like 6, 6
you have a smooth apparence.

then you should try to see where object lights
with this kind of implementation could be used
to get the most out of them. dagon for example
used a single object light with three distinct colors..
there, without an object light, you should use at
least three different lights. so in that occasion
even if you have to put a little higher sampling
it will be anyway faster than standard area lights.
let's imagine we've a long tunnel that requires
50 area lights to be put in... with object lights
you just make a single geometry piece.. than
duplicate it with offset to get 50 pieces of
geom.. combine them together.. flood the
cpvs to get colors, intensities and whatever
you need. there you go. you have only
one light..and it will be only one light to be
translated and to be managed by mentalray.

ciao
francesca

Cloudstriff
04-09-2006, 04:36 AM
first.... you're not forced to use the jpMakeObjectLight.
I never did and personally I don't know if it's working in maya7.0.
then....

object lights are not for this purpose. to get what you're looking
for you just need to increase the incandescence of your material.

ciao
francesca

Does the same go for Global Illumination?

aadams
04-09-2006, 04:40 AM
thank you thank you thank you

i was thinking the same thing....like I could have multiple vertex maps for colors...but then I got greedy and want to use it for a skydome...

I will continue to work on balancing it out...

you are so cool for sharing your kickass shaders...thank you.
do you think its best to use them as fill lights? and to use another type of light to key in the higher intensities?

I just hate dialing the sampling to 10,20 and waiting...KNOWING that i must be missing something obvious...and maybe using the wrong strategy...

RUS|Responce Bot
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Guys this shader look great, but Im having hard time figuring out how it should connect. I have followed the steps described but its not rendering out properly. Its not rendering anything infact. Can any one post a sample scene? thanks.

GaryHaus
04-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Please, Please, Please for osx ???

majorbludd
05-11-2006, 03:20 AM
I've spent the last day trying to get this working but I still have had no luck. Sorry to be such a maroon. I'm running Maya 6.5 and when I try to open the scene file associated with the shader pack I get: "Errors hace occured while reading this scene that may result in data loss. please check the Script Editor for details" and nothing happens (also when I check the scipt editor for details there are no details other that an error occured). Could the file included with the shaders be a Maya 7 file? I would love to get this working but no matter what I do I can't seem to have success. I also tried the mel script but I too got
Error: Cannot find procedure "getBaseName".

If someone could be so kind as to post a maya 6.5 file with the proper connections made, I would be very grateful.
Thank you
-Noah

majorbludd
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I checked the scene that comes with the shaderpack. Considering it's called 'm7_geolight_cpv_011.mb' I assumed it was Maya 7. I opened it in a text editor and noticed it's a maya 7 unlimited file. I feel like I'm close but I still haven't had success yet. If anyone can post or even email me a simple 6.5 file with the networks connected that would be awesome.
-Noah

Gremlin
05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
So, this shader is for the Maya software renderer and mimics having a 100% incadescent shader applied to an object rendered in Mental Ray? Correct?

:) What are the speed comparisons between the two...
Regards,

Gremlin

Jozvex
05-15-2006, 07:49 AM
So, this shader is for the Maya software renderer and mimics having a 100% incadescent shader applied to an object rendered in Mental Ray? Correct?

That would be.....incorrect, hehe. It's for Mental Ray and it turns any mesh/object into an advanced area light, basically. Normally to do this you create a super bright shader and use Final Gather, but with this shader your object becomes a true light. No FG needed.

Jozvex
05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm, funny I should revive this thread today because now I have an issue! Sinjorina Italia if you're passing by, can you explain why there seems to be a 26 letter limit for the light name on the geo shader node? Any more than 26 characters and the effect stops working. Is it a Maya, Mental Ray or shader issue?

Are you able to fix it somehow 'cesca?

*makes cute pouty face*

Gremlin
05-15-2006, 08:31 PM
oh, so it is like having a 100% (or greater than 1 value) shader applied to an object while using FG--you just don't need FG; that was where I was a bit thrown off...it seemed redundant so I just assumed it would've been for maya standard renderer.

so, is it faster? what are the advantages (as I download the shader)? :)

Jozvex
05-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, because it's a real light it can cast real shadows, emit photons for GI etc. Some scenes are very FG unfriendly (in terms of speed) and this way you're just creating an area light.

This shader also has falloff controls, you can texture the light (with great detailed textures FG would have to be insanely high sampled to match it), you can paint attributes onto the light like intensity/colour/falloff/etc using Maya's artisan CPV (color per vertex) tools.

Basically it's a specifically designed feature for creating custom area lights, whereas the FG area lights are just a neat side effect of the way FG works.

francescaluce
05-16-2006, 12:58 AM
can you explain why there seems to be a 26 letter limit for the light name
I don't even remember why I used a string tag to get the light
instead to use directly a light tag. I have to check it.

edit:: well.. because the light tag is not directly supported
in maya templates and I'm too lazy to write out some
function to support it. with the light tag you'd end up with
a list of lights.. and I was of the suspect that this could
trap someone believing he can use multiple lights.

ciao
francesca

Jozvex
05-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Thankyou. :)

I'm working on a complicated scene with lots and lots of lights, and I like to name things like "Geolight_RunwayLights_Left" etc and I run out of characters.

francescaluce
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
and what about a multiple light support, joz ? do you use
the same geometry with more than one light ? you could use
of course also separated pieces from the same object and
ctrl those with cpv properties.

ciao
francesca

Jozvex
05-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Yes I do use that. For example I have a row of say 20 little modelled 'lights' for a runway, but then I've made a long cylinder object light with painted intensity to be hidden over the top for the actual lighting.

It's such a good shader! I just like long names too, hehe.

francescaluce
05-16-2006, 01:29 AM
you've a great new avatar !! :)

ciao
francesca

ps: if your 'little' lights are not too geo dense
you can merge them all in the same object and
paint directly on them.

Jozvex
05-16-2006, 01:36 AM
you've a great new avatar !! :)

Thanks I just made it a few seconds ago! The Santa stuff was getting a bit old, hehe. And thanks for the other tip, I'll try it out right now in fact.

EDIT:

Oh, if I 'Combine' my lots of lights into 1 mesh, I lose the world space position! They reset to 0 0 0. Won't that mess up the shader?

EDIT x2:

Ok no it looks like it still works fine.

JulianS
06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Hello nojjy.
Quick question went i run your script after selecting the goemetry i am getting this error.
// Error: Cannot find procedure "getBaseName". //

Any idea what it could be?
Thank you in advance.

Update:
I just notice the update works with Color sets , Thank you anyways, i am assuming the script doesn't work with the update.

Doing all of the connections to make the object lights work is tedious so I wrote the attached script to speed up the process a bit.

To use:

-- pick the object you want to make a light (only works for the first object selected)
-- in the script editor, source the MEL file attached to this message
-- run "jpMakeObjectLight" from the script editor or the command line

Enjoy.

Updated, now works with multiple objects, and point constrains the light to the object.
EDIT 12-07-2005: sorry, now REALLY works with multiple objects. includes an icon.

mimo8
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
this shader never made it over to OSX, or?

j00ey
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the fantastic shader Francesca.

This may be a dumb question but is there anyway to use a ramp [or other non-file texture] in the tex slot? I have a scene with 90 strip lights each with its own shader, each one animated and if possible I'd like to use the output from the ramp rather than baking it, to keep it amendable.

thanks again
j

BillSpradlin
08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Looks like the previous posts with links to the version that included Linux are now gone, can we get those relinked or I can offer to host the file, or would someone mind sending that to me? Thanks.

francescaluce
08-04-2006, 02:39 AM
ehy Bill, someone at hy*drau"lx has the code of this shader.
ask Rina, she did the first linux compile if I remember well.

ciao
francesca

o-v
08-06-2006, 12:33 AM
ehrm sorry - it seems to be, that I'm completely dumb, but I cant get it running. could someone post a step by step tutorial how setup that thing pls pls pls?

if i do this:

.usage
--------------
attach to any dummy poly mesh (transform->mentalray->geometryshader)
the ctrl_objectlight plugin. fill the fields with the transform node
name for the obj to use as area source, and the light shape name for
the light to be used. light should be set to mentalray->arealight.
most of the times you'll want to set for the obj the visible, shadow,
and trace flag to 'no'.

it happens exactly nothing... just the area light illuminates the object...

EDIT: im useing maya 7.0.1 and copy the post that the mel setup script jpMakeObjectLight.mel does not work.

thank u very much for any hints..

BillSpradlin
08-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Unfortunately Rina is no longer around and Colin is gone constantly so I can't ask him. It's not a HUGE deal, but it would be greatly appreciated if we could get a compiled version of this as well as some of the other shaders, if they can't be compiled then I can compile them here for Linux. I can e-mail you a list of stuff we're missing if needed. PM me and let me know, thanks again =)

slipknot66
08-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Hey Bill, see if its this you were looking for, there is a maya 6.5 linux version.

designpain
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey, Is there anyway there is an explanation somewhere on how to get this to work.
I know I am missing something so damn small and irritating.
I have spent days trying to figure it out and no luck.
I know it is installed properly, the test scene works fine, I have messed with the test scene,

I have added the right names of the the light obj and light. I have a dummy obj and a point light, still no luck.
One thing I have noticed is when the ctrl objectlight node is connected to the geoDummy the connection says its out is the ctrl_objectlights.messege into the mi geoshader input of the dummy, I can only use the outputs caching, node state, transform, light and out value from the ctrl objectlights, is this my problem? I just used the out value.

I have read through this forum several times to make sure I have not missed anything and still no luck, I feel stupid and I know you guys get annoyed with people who don't fully try it out themselves, I have given it a full hearted attempt with no luck.
so please if anyone can help me I would be very appreciative.
I have a link to my scene file where I have tried to attempt this shader, if someone could look at it and tell me what the hell I am doing wrong that would be so rad!
thanks again for your time

heres the link
www.arterrastudios.com/matt/HELP.rar (http://www.arterrastudios.com/matt/HELP.rar)
its a maya 7 file

francescaluce
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I have added the right names of the the light obj and light. I have a dummy obj and a point light, still no luck.
One thing I have noticed is when the ctrl objectlight node is connected to the geoDummy the connection says its out is the ctrl_objectlights.messege into the mi geoshader input of the dummy, I can only use the outputs caching, node state, transform, light and out value from the ctrl objectlights, is this my problem? I just used the out value.
man is from the mentalray rollout in the transfrom panel of your obj you need
to attach the geoshader. if you don't know about that place... you can also
connect correctly the geoshader as you did... but you have not enabled it as
the checkbox to do that is in the mr geoshader rollout. that said you have also
to hide the obj you'll use as geolight.. Visible NO, Trace NO, Shadows NO in the
transform panel always under the mr rollout. take a look at the scene.

http://tinyurl.com/r7hnp

ciao
francesca

brunner
08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm having problems getting this to work in Maya 8...

Basically, nothing happens:shrug:

The previous scene doesn't work, so it's either my installation, or the shader just doesn't work in M8...

I attached my very basic test scene

cpan
08-23-2006, 08:43 AM
wierd things happen with geolights in maya 8.

The pointLight isn't convertible to mrAreaLight anymore (so no more geolights @ pointlights too), the spotLight doesnt seem to work properly with geolights (whatever i do the geolights setup doesnt use the geo shape) and neither the maya arealights converted to mrAreaLight with ctrl_color attached don't work ok...

is it me or this happens to others too? :blush:

(PS brunner, normaly you should connect the ctrl_geocolor to your mrcustomlight slot and switch the area light mode to "User" / "Custom" too, but since the whole geolight seem broken in maya8...)

bkircher
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Yep, I do experience the same...

Also, for some reason the Light can be corrupted, turning into a Shape-Object without Light-Properties any more.
(I experienced the same bug in Maya 6, and found Maya 7 way better integrated.)

Visor66
09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
hey,

did someone solve the geolight problems in Maya 8 already? I tried to set it up as well, but with no luck! As soon as I hit render, nothing happens. Any help with setting this up in M8 would be really much appreciatet!

thanks in advance

francescaluce
09-09-2006, 01:20 PM
ehy no problems with maya8.0. just use the area light instead of the point one.

ciao
francesca

dagon1978
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
it's working fine here too :)

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8962/fraylike29mws3.jpg

Visor66
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

sorry to disturb you again, but Im propably missing something important as I cant get the objectlight running in Maya 8. I used a dummyobject with the ctrl_objectlights as geometry shader. I put in the transform name of my object and the shape name of the area light. I then hit render and nothing happens, Maya even starts crashing! So, where is the mistake?

Thanks again for your help!

Visor

o-v
09-12-2006, 07:35 PM
take a look at the scene.

ciao
francesca

i'd love to do so but:
"The link you have clicked is not available."

:sad:

ftaswin
09-13-2006, 06:54 AM

Yess please...

And does anyone still have the old scene files comes with the zip file? With the spiral thinggy?

I lost it and the new scene file is for CPV. It's been a long time since I used this shaders and now Im having a brainfart. Im sure I attached a ramp for colored light before but I dunno how to do it now :P

Thanks

Ft

o-v
09-13-2006, 10:01 PM
ok, I guess I've managed it in maya 7... but theres something freaky... I mean compare the hardware render and the mental ray output...

short description:
i changed the color of the original objLight geometry by painting it...
I duplicated the whole network for the sphere and did the same... (added a second light, a second geodummy, etc...)

and obviously changed the flags to "derived from maya"

well the sphere is a nice glowing light object... but the planes aren't. they emit light, what is expected, but thay have actually opposite color and not really that intensiv as the sphere... even the "light" intensity (in geocolor shader) for the sphere is around 50 and for the planes 88... it does have no effect if I turn "shadows" and/or the "intensity" in the cpv section off...

can someone pls explain that?

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/freaky.jpg

the scene is here

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/m7_geolight_cpv_ov.rar

its actually the same scene provided by francesca (:applause::applause::applause:) but modified a little...

EDIT: and yes it works with maya 8 useing a pointlight... with an area light u have much better control about the quality of the light (samples...) and its fast!!!

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/speed.jpg

Visor66
09-14-2006, 12:09 AM
hey o.v.

thanks for your help and scene file! But still, I cant get it runnin in Maya8. With Maya7 Im able to set up the objectlights, but it doesnt work in 8! Could you maybe make a quick setup scene for Maya 8? This would be great! :thumbsup:

THX :buttrock:

francescaluce
09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
can someone pls explain that? CPV are not implemented as visible light.
you have to duplicate the geometry and playing with object flags
to get the efx you are looking for.

ciao
francesca

o-v
09-14-2006, 05:09 PM
well thats what I was surpriced about...

the pinkish ball is a basic lambert and colorized by cpv approach - why the heck has it that color in the rendered pict?

the light color is ok but the geom color is that speaks against your clue...

the opposite color of the planes can be explainded by the "theory" that they are lightning each other and vice versa...

and am I right that if I want to fake glow I have to use a copy of the light geometry and use the special effect of the shader? I know that mental ray does not support light glow...

yassein
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
ehy no problems with maya8.0. just use the area light instead of the point one.

ciao
francesca
that`s it
maya 8 point light `ve no mental ray area tap :cry:
i dont know whay ?

o-v
09-14-2006, 05:51 PM
cause mental ray 3.5 can handle maya area lights very well... ;)

but it works with a pointlight too - just u need to render very expensively, because of the quality...

yassein
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
:)
thank you that is good but
is thare way to conct ctrl_objectlights to erea light
im trying to use conction editor
but i cant :(

o-v
09-14-2006, 07:25 PM
hmmm yes look under mental ray tab - light shader... but I'm not at my puter right now so I cant bet... give me 2 hours I should be back home and will post a little roadmap...

EDIT: hold on! thats b...s... sorry... take care of the shader kind...ctrl_objectlights is a geometry shader and has nothing to look for in the light shader slot!

yassein
09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
thanck you o.v.

o-v
09-14-2006, 11:20 PM
first of all: I hope francesca, you agree to this share of knowledge and correct any "unsophisticated" statements... if u dont want it, just a word and I remove all the stuff from here. but some guyz (includeing me) asked for, so...

This is a basic setup. just to get the shader running. nothing about "color per vertex - cpv part" or anything else.. its all fairly good described by francesca here in this thread.

here we go:

1) a basic scene includes at least

a) a dummy geometry (in my case the red box) - "carrier" for the ctrl_objectlights geometry shader
b) a light - in maya 8 an area light (gives a good result) - in my case a sphere area light. leave it at the origin. if u create more lights for that network - leave them all at the origin.
c) a geometry thats acutally our light source - I used a subD funky thing...
d) a backround geometry or what ever. u should c something that gets affected by the light

GIVE all those parts a proper name! (e.g. in outliner...)

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/basic.jpg

2) Hypershade

go to the mental ray tab and look for these 2 shaders

a) mental ray lights -> ctrl_geocolor
b) geometry -> ctrl_objectslights

just click them (LMB) and u should find them again under the "Utilities" tab

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/hypershade.jpg

3) Attach the geometry shader to the "carrier" geometry... I called it dummy - as francesca did in the file included in the package

a) choose the dummy and open the attribute editor. go to the first tab, wher u'll find the transform node name. (attribute editor opens with the "shape" node by default...)
b) go to the mentalray part and open the geometry shader.
c) ctrl_objectlights MMB and drag it from the hypershade over the geometry shader slot (the slot should get dashed frame) - release. u have connected the geometry shader to the dummy.

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/dummy_shader_attach.jpg

4) Attach the light shader to the area light

a) choose the light and open the attribute editor. go to the second "shape" tab (opens by default)
b) go to the mentalray part, check "light shape" and give it some shape. I used sphere, but I guess it doesn't really matter which one is chosen. for the samples value I just typed some nuber that gives me enough samples for sure - I'm certain, that can be optimized ;)
c) go to the custom shader part and open it. check "suppress all maya shaders (I guess this isnt a must...)"
d) MMB and drag the ctrl_geocolor shader over the light shader slot.. - u have connected the light shader to the light.

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/light_connection.jpg

5) ctrl_objectlight setup

a) click the dummy. in the attribute editor go to the ctrl_objectlight tab. in the transform slot u shoud type the name of the transform node of your "light source" - u already know where u can find it ;)
b) in the light slot u should insert the name of the light SHAPE node (yourlightShape)

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/objectlight_setup.jpg

6) ctrl_geocolor setup

this is the part where your fantasy should get wings... those are the main light controls...
just play with them...

soft light: color - well thats obvious. intensity - this is a co-player with the attenuation part... if u set it to linear or exponential or physical u should set here a fairly high value...

shadows - just check it out.

attenuation - if u know a basic light setup - this is all common

all other stuff is not an issue right now.

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/geocolor_setup.jpg

7) set your render settings to preview and render...

u should get something like this

http://www.vrankovina.com/forum/test_render.jpg

goooood luck

Giap
09-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Can I use ctrl_objectlights for Maya 8?? If I can use, how can I set up it?? Please help.

Thank you very much ^^

yassein
09-15-2006, 07:44 AM
o.v.
thanck thanck thanvck you :applause: :applause: :applause:
Giap look at o.v. last post that is the anser for you
i~ll try and come back :thumbsup:

Visor66
09-15-2006, 10:22 AM
hi o.v.

thanks alot for your small tutorial! It really helped me, because I realized that I didnt made anything wrong! My light setup was all the same as yours, mine just didnt want to render! So I checked my *.mi and *.dll files, replaced them with other ones (I dont know about you, but when I open the *.zip file from the first page, its full of the same files with different sizes!) and BOOM, it works now! I always thought I do something wrong at the setup stage!

So, thanks again! Now it works, and thats gooood! :thumbsup:

Greetz

residentcoppa
09-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Well done OV

thanks
r.

steeheef
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
please excuse my ignorance;
but how do you create a sphere area light..?

thanx for helping me trying to catch up with you front runners

yours
Steef

Visor66
09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
hi steef,

you have to create a normal area light, under the mental ray tab of that area light, you have to enable "Use Light Shape" and under the dropdown list of "Type" you can choose "Sphere"! Thats about it! But for o.vs. tutorial to work, you dont have to use a sphere area light, as long as it is an area light enabled in the mental ray section of the light!

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

steeheef
09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanx Visor,

i finally got it.

I do have a follow up question though...

Is it also possible to have several sourcelights with the same presets..?
Thus controlling them all at the same time..

I'm trying to make a cassette ceiling for a club that we are designing,
and the internal part of all cassettes have to emit light,
before i used all area lights and incandescense,
but using 195 area lights with full detail furniture underneath made
my laptop go ballistic

i'm trying to find a sollution seing i need to make an animation..

if anybody has any suggestions i would be highly thankfull

thanx
Steef

o-v
09-18-2006, 07:14 AM
yes u can... i has to be one geometry...

so if u have lets say 20 or 2000 :D geometry objects, that should emit light do it as followed:

1) select all objects (geometry) - make them polys (if they are something other...)

2) go to mesh (maya 8) or polygon (maya 7) -> combine

and NAME the new node!!! u'll need the transform node name for futher usage

zuao
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
wierd things happen with geolights in maya 8.

The pointLight isn't convertible to mrAreaLight anymore (so no more geolights @ pointlights too), the spotLight doesnt seem to work properly with geolights (whatever i do the geolights setup doesnt use the geo shape) and neither the maya arealights converted to mrAreaLight with ctrl_color attached don't work ok...

is it me or this happens to others too? :blush:

Hello!

Are there any news about that?
I am asking because I spent some time now trying to get this to work in Maya8, but failing after making ambitious efforts (I think).
Setting up the scene with the Maya AreaLight is leading to very strange effects in rendering like objects lighting the scene that are not connected to the geoShader.
And as already pointed out, setup with a pointLight works fine, but is missing the tab with the mrAreaLight Settings.
Anybody with a clue?
Regards,
Nando.

Visor66
01-02-2007, 04:08 PM
hey nando,

I couldnt get "normal" results with the areaLight either. The only way I could make it really work was by using a spotlight turned to an arealight. If you havent tried this yet, have a look. If it doesnt work for you, I could prepare a scene for you!

Just let me know, hope this helps.

Greetz
Pascal

zuao
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I did tests with spotLights too, but results were dependent on how the spot was orientated which isn't really suprising, right? Playing around, I even tried to manipulate the spot with a mrPointLightShader, leading nowhere, unfortunately.
I was thinking of adding back the mr_AreaLight Attrs to the pointLightShape, since "... Any of the standard spot and point lights can be turned into an area light source..." (mr Docs). But I didn't further investigate this yet, perhaps someone of you tried?
Any hints welcome.
nando.

zuao
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Adding back the mrAreaLight Attrs to the pointLight works. You could set the AreaLight Attrs and they get translated to MR as expected - also the whole objectLight Idea behaves fine.

BUT!!! It's a really really dirty hack - of course, at least by only copying the Maya7 "AEmentalrayPointLight.mel" into the Maya8 User Script Dir. You would have to connect a mrLightShader too for this to work (like mrpointLight or geoLight etc) else you would get an error message saying "the areaLight attribute on point lights is obsolete" ... yesss, I know!

sofar, nando.

sbalordito
02-24-2007, 08:03 PM
hi,
i've a problem...when i use th ctrl_objectlights in maya8.5 everything works becuse the object emits light but is not illuminated..
can anybody help me??http://www.treddi.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-30491-1172339285_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Bombata
03-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Sbalordito,

Im having the same problem in 8.5. (Object light remains black) Did you manage to get it working? Or has anyone else had any luck with it?

Thanks in advance.

lazzhar
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Just give it a white surfaceshader so it gets illuminated whatever happens.

Bombata
03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Of course, why didnt i think of that.

Thanks.

:)

Arian Tibbs
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Did this cool shader ever make its way over to macMaya on OSX?

Leotril
03-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi everybody i just found this thread and im really interested im trying to getr accurate neon lights .. i wonder if i can use this with renderman for maya or render in mental ray and composite back ?

it looks great ill check the thread for info thank u

Bombata
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Arian,

My guess is the files for this shader are compiled for pc not osx so unless you get a mac or maybe linux complie i dont think it will work completely. I've tried to get a couple of Ctrl shaders to work on my mac at work and havent had any luck.

I think the mac is expecting a .so shader library file.

Works on my pc at home though.

leif3d
05-07-2007, 06:59 AM
I've tried everything in the last 4 hours to make this awesome shader work with no luck, I even went step by step through the tutorial written in the previous page. I'm running Maya 8.5 x64 on Vista x64 Ultimate. I guess my system is just not supported?:sad:

Lamster
05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I think it works on 32 bit Maya only. One of the big reasons why I can't effectively switch over to 64 bit maya is because these wonderful shaders sometimes aren't supported.

Terence

leif3d
05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I ended up doing a surface shader and sampler info to dim down the glow...I hope this is ported to 64bit...I would do it myself if I knew how to write Shaders.

pixelshaker
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Dear Francescaluce,

is there a 64bit version of objectlights ? At work i only have windows/maya 8.5 64bit and a linux cluster ..

i hope you read this cause you weren´t here for long :(

@leif3d i could give it to a friend if we could get the sourcecode

LuisTelesforo
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
anyone from ctrl studio can please update the geolights to maya 8.5 32bit anda 64bit, please, please...

leif3d
08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
They might as well do it for Maya 2008...:shrug:

PhilWilkinson
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Any ideas why ctrl_objectlights doesn't work for softbody geometry?

PhilWilkinson
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Ahh, nevermind. It's a particle thing. For the record: if anyone else ever encounmters this problem I'd suggest geometry caching your softbody animation. Blobby objectlights... sweet!

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.