PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a Train

Robwolf
02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
I need some help fast on this. I'm extremely new to Maya and got the task of rigger in our production team on campus. We are creating a model train that travels around the tracks. How can I setup the cars of the train to a) Follow the car infront of it while b) staying on the track and c) avoiding collisions with the car infont of it. Finally, all of this has to be keyable so that the train will maintain its animation data in the Panda 3D engine.

ietra
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a job for Motion Path if I ever heard one.

Essentially you'll want to:

1) Create a NURBS curve along the path of the train tracks

2) Select the cars and the curve and Animate > Motion Paths > Attach to Motion Path. Probably have to do one car at a time.

3) Tweak the path keyframes so the cars are appropriately spaced out and travel the right distance on the path

4) Once it works, bake it out to keyframes for your Ling Ling engine or whatever.

Maya docs can give you specific details on how, or search around for a tutorial on using motion paths in maya.

Only other thing I can think of is if this is cartoony and you want the train cars themsevlves to bend as they go around curves -- then you probbably would need to look into Flow Path Object command.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.