PDA

View Full Version : Post your best c++ tutorials here...

grafiti
02-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone...

could everyone plz put their best c++ or visual basic 6, game programing tutorials, for newbs, advanced, and expert. Not just for me but for everyone that is learning to program...

ps. i am a total newb on programing i only know how to use 3dsmax, but i whant to learn how to use visual basic, so if anyone could help me also plz do...

THX everyone.

mummey
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
One suggestion: This forum is pretty professional compared to most. Put your text in font types and sizes we can read and then we might not ignore your question.

grafiti
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
that better?

seu mala.

AlpineMan
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Yes but please go edit your first post.

Thanks.

see www.w3schools.com for excellent tutorials.
see www.webreference.com for excellent tutorials.

See your local college for programming classes that you will need to get into programming.

You will have to do lots of programming to learn it. No reading a book. It's like mathematics, you have to do lots of it to learn it.

Chris J.

ATE-Fred
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
If you serious about graphical programming, you might want to learn how rasterising and shading really works (as opposed to just using grapical APIs functions). On my website, I posted in open source 2 projects I did recently. One in C (but using Abstract Data types) that rasterizes lines and triangles, reads/writes TGA files, includes various features such as texturing, stretching, bluring etc. and uses a simple scripting language I did to take instructions as input. It should give you a basic understanding on how it all works (colour buffers & co).
There's also a 3D chessgame I did with a friend in Direct3D9 with network play (WinSocs), database access (ADO) in C++. but if you're a beginner you might find the code somewhat hard to get into.
good luck.
(link: www.silent-planet.org (http://www.silent-planet.org/))

grafiti
02-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Yes but please go edit your first post.

Thanks.

see www.w3schools.com (http://www.w3schools.com/) for excellent tutorials.
see www.webreference.com (http://www.webreference.com/) for excellent tutorials.

See your local college for programming classes that you will need to get into programming.

You will have to do lots of programming to learn it. No reading a book. It's like mathematics, you have to do lots of it to learn it.

Chris J.

thx 4 that dude but i dont think u quite understand, i need to learn c++ or visual basic 6. not web programations. but thanx anyways.

playmesumch00ns
02-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Please don't learn visual basic. It's the worst thing microsoft has ever done to the world.

www.cplusplus.com has a good introductory tutorial.

Better would be to buy "c programming" by deitel & deitel

grafiti
02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Do u guys think its better to use dark basics or blitz3d for game programing... it seams easier, but im not sure if the movements are good enoughf.
And i am looking more specificly in programing examples of a game like, grand theft auto...
but i am open for anything ...

Thx everyone...

And plz keep posting.

HellBoy
02-25-2005, 10:12 PM
include <iostream.h>
void main
{
cout <<"Hello, cool thread, a simple tutorial is this, basically for newbies";
cout <<"hope its right, forgot how to do it, long time ago!";
cout <<"Goodluck folks ;)";
cout <<"over...";
}

playmesumch00ns
02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
go to www.flipcode.com and ww.gamedev.net to find loads of articles, links and tutorials etc.

I think you should be a bit more optimistic about what you're going to make straight off the bat. You're not going to make grand theft auto, or anything like it for several years, and even then it'll only be as part of a team. Try to think of something a little more realistic. Something small and fun that you can make pretty too. Like pong, or space invaders or asteroids. Something like that.

grafiti
02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I already know how to make these 2d games, i make them on game maker6 or rpg maker xp...
I dont pretend to make e full game dude just a part of the game just so i can get a taste of it..
All i whant to accomplish is like a street with some buildings and a main character moving, and an enemy in the game... thats about it ... just so i can get the hang of it ...

But plz tell me which program will be better to make games the easyer way... i apreciate ure atencion... thx dude..

ATE-Fred
02-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Games are not easy to do. there is no easy magic way. You're gonna have to spend hours and hours leanring, design ed and coding to get something even close to what you imagine finished. C++ with Direct3D9 should allow you to do most of what you can imagine, but don't expect to master either of them overnight.

grafiti
02-26-2005, 04:45 PM
This isnt getting anyware... I know im not gonna learn this over night... but there are easyer programs and a lot more complexed programs, and i just whant some basic stuff just to get started dude... plz leave those comments to yourself cause i wasnt born yesterday dude.. but i apreciate ure atencion...

Well does anyone have any tuts on blitz basic 3d???... thx

Hugh
02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
http://www.cprogramming.com/

MWarsame, I don't think that'll work....

try this one:

include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv)
{
cout <<"Hello, cool thread, a simple tutorial is this, basically for newbies" << endl;
cout <<"hope its right, forgot how to do it, long time ago!" << endl;
cout <<"Goodluck folks ;)" << endl;
cout <<"over..." << endl;
}

arnecls
02-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Well I'm currently trying to write a game in c++. To be precise, I started with no C++ knowledge (but pascal and java) and I'm in my 3rd year now. Well - I did not code all the time but without the breaks it should be about 1 or 1 1/2 years.
Well - beside that I'm studying computer visualistics (mainly computer graphics) I took most of my knowledge from books:

Peter Shirley - Fundamentals of computer grahpics (to start with)
Möller, Haines - Realtime Rendering (for details)
Phar / Fernando - GPU Programming Gems (if you still want to go on :) )

Well that's 3D graphics for short (there are more good books around but those are really good) now for C++

Introduction ... well - all the ones I know are german books - so only the advanced books left
Scott Meyers - Effective C++ (if you mastered the basics)
Scott Meyers - More Effective C++ (harder to read but interesting)
Josuttis - The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference (STL Basics)
Scott Meyers - Effective STL (only _after_ you read at least the one above)

Those are the books I would recommend to read when going into details. To start with have a look at the following Adresses:

http://www.libsdl.org (good cross platform gaming library)
http://nehe.gamedev.net (good opengl tutorials for numerous platforms)

So ... if you want to write (good) games ... have fun, bring time.

leas5040
02-27-2005, 10:11 PM
That won't work either Hugh:

You need:

int main (int argc, char **argv)

or

int main(int argc, char *argv[])

argv is a pointer to a pointer.

Hugh
02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Ooops - I knew that... I really shouldn't have missed that one.... (that's what comes from quickly typing code that you know you're never going to have to compile!)

leas5040
02-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Ooops - I knew that... I really shouldn't have missed that one.... (that's what comes from quickly typing code that you know you're never going to have to compile!)

Hehehe, I make the same mistake all the time.

No matter how many times I type this line:

ifstream inputfile("somefilename.txt", ios::in)

I always manage to forget the semicolon, like the example above.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.