PDA

View Full Version : Car Modeling

ice2wrist
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Im new to car modeling and I wanted to know what is the easiest way ?

Ibah
02-22-2005, 06:41 AM
try some tutorials first, there isnt really a best way. the differs, some people like a some b..

but most people like this aproac:

setup your reference of the car.. side front , top view.

draw the importan lines with splines, make a 3d drawing this way, of a spline network.

when done you can use it as a 3d reference.

than start out with a face, and extrude it, again and again (poly modelling)
good place to start is the hood of the car.. go to the side and grill from there.. etc

ice2wrist
02-22-2005, 06:13 PM
When they use a polygon, do they extrude the edges. I tryed box modeling but i dont like the results from it

titaniumdave
02-22-2005, 06:26 PM
When they use a polygon, do they extrude the edges. I tryed box modeling but i dont like the results from it

Yes. I start out with a simple poly plane with no divisions. Then I pick the direction I'm going in. Say I start at the center of the hood and I want to move towards the edge of the hood where it meets the side. I put my plane in the center and select the edge on the side and extrude. Usely a few times, atleast enough to get the general curve of the hood but not to much. Ofcourse I start, as mention above, by drawing curves to outline each piece of the car first.

ice2wrist
02-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Can i see some renders of cars you have done..if so you can send them to my email notorious986@yahoo.com or you can IM me on AIM my sreenname is notourious86

ice2wrist
02-23-2005, 02:48 AM
I tryed the extruding edges, Im having some trouble i put a plane with no divisions in the center of the hood. Then i extruded some edges and now im stuck becasue some edges can't be extrudec because their are combined and if i select the whole edge wont extrude right half goes the right way then the other goes the other. I like this method so far.

Ibah
02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
i could explain, but i think this tutorial here, explains it enough.

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/fiat500/fiat500_m02.asp

just see how it is done here.. they dont use spline cage do... but its adviced you do , with complex curves in cars

ice2wrist
02-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Im not using max im using maya im not good at translating max to maya

Ibah
02-23-2005, 11:13 PM
doest matter its just extruding edges.. in maya extrude edge, bind it to a key and you need cut faces tool, and you need the weld.. key those 3 and you can go moddle a car.. and with this tut it doesnt make a difference what you use, its not about the buttons, its about the modelling, not the tools.. they are all the same.. the ones i mentioned, that is what you need.. you know where they are ;)

under polygons menu, hotkey them, or make your own menu with them, by holding shift when selecting, i thought :S forgot

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.