PDA

View Full Version : Can't soften normals enough after poly reduce...faceting is killing me...HELP PLEASE!

Wes_Brown
02-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey guys. I have a human head imported from an obj. It is smooth and beautiful. I HAVE to reduce the poly count because it is just to heavy for the bind. After reducing by 50 percent, the integrity of the surface is maintained, but there is a bunch of faceting. Softening the normals to 180 improves it slightly, but there are still of ton of faceting artifacts where I feel the surface has enough geo to be smooth. Does anyone now what I can do? I have tried every little normal tool maya has but I must be missing soomething...:( ANY help would be appreciated!

lazzhar
02-21-2005, 09:55 PM
When Maya goes crazy and I don't find a clue to make poly models apear decent -even after exporting and importing- I just convert the poly to subdivision then back to poly. Or try export to obj then import into another program such Wings3d then export to another format like .3ds then resend it again to maya. Sometimes this helps, and I dont know why:wise:

rwijaya
02-21-2005, 10:17 PM
do u have a screen shot ?

Wes_Brown
02-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks for help guys! I eventually realised that the poly reduce raises and lowers the verts on comlex surfaces enough to cause the appearence of impropper normals. SO...even though the surface looked smooth to the naked eye, it in fact was not. Sculpt poly tool with smooth did the trick....! Be careful with that reduce! :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.