PDA

View Full Version : Character: Uru again

Stahlberg
02-21-2005, 11:00 AM
So I've failed miserably with the background twice now, and I'm trying something completely different, based on the Dodge's Palace. This led to having to change her color scheme too. It's a bit sketchy, should I keep it like that or does it have to be perfectly rendered? let me know what you think

http://www.androidblues.com/Urutest.jpg

edit: here's the thread with the previous version:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=212500

andreasrocha
02-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Much, much better. What a beautiful background. The sketchy effect looks great! The only thing that bothers me is that you cut off her legs. Was that intentionally?

You're the master!

jmBoekestein
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Excellent:eek: , indeed looks much better now, only thing is that her "direction"(align to world) is conflicting with the background perspective, obviously you know. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. Extremely photographic rendering there! And her skin is beautiful! I thought you had rendered it when I was watching it first!:thumbsup:

edit: Any relations to the game Uru: ages beyond Myst?

Profane
02-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I 'm still not convinced about the background...even if it's ten times better than the other...
the thing is that the style that you use to piant the character is totally different from the one you used to paint the background....
dunno....:shrug:

Stahlberg
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah that's the problem - I can't use the same outline style for the background, it would look messy and confusing. The same problem has bugged me for a year or more, in different illustrations. Disney kind of solved it way back in 'Snowhite', with nicely rendered painterly backgrounds, behind their outlined cartoon. But it doesn't seem to be working for me, probably because I'm not as good at painting as those guys...

Kyena
02-21-2005, 02:53 PM
*pout*
doh I can't see it - red x of doom. (Might be the firewall at work though..)

ms@zx
02-21-2005, 07:04 PM
profane was right about the background though,maybe u wanna try taking off the outline on the character?it could possibily blend with the background :)frankly i like this current setting as the gal's intricate royal like costume design fit the background.

sad
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
the sharp contrasts of uru are great. the background is a bit too blurry and could use more contrast.

Ilikesoup
02-21-2005, 10:12 PM
With that big open room and the sun streaming through the windows, I immediately think of the audition scene from "Flashdance". Is she in a training hall with lots of empty space or can you add furnishings? Beautiful work on the ceilings and the high bright effect is spot on.

Enayla
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I think it's looking absolutely gorgeous, Stephen.

Have been following the previous threads but I never commented on them. I love her outfit design, it's so pretty. And it's so fascinating seeing something so 'cartoony' in such a realistic style. I keep looking at details and thinking - that looks so real! then I see the outlines and the, in places, clean colours and it hits me that she's very stylised.

I wonder if it would help if the background were a little blurred as if out of focus. Or perhaps if there were just faint, faint thin outlines on some of the things - not in black - just to give a slightly less 'real' feel to it. I honestly don't know, I think the background looks stunning as it is and I already believe she fits well into it.

JT
02-21-2005, 11:32 PM
wow looks really great. :thumbsup:
and i think its perfect the way it is. IMho if the background was rendered more detailed or with outlines the attention wouldn't be on the beautiful character anymore.

hjalmar
02-22-2005, 04:06 AM
i like the new background better definatly. the colours compliment the girl very well.

could you possibly make the background just a bit less sketchy? or at least detailed closer to the camera? adn just get sketchier as you go further into the distance? you want the main focus on the character im guessing...so i think a really detailed and perfectly rendered background will take away from that..

walrus
02-22-2005, 04:59 PM
That's really nice, Stephen! All I'm getting on the other thread that you linked to are red Xs, so I'm only going to be able to comment on this image as a stand-alone, I hope that's still helpful. I love the character design, and the colors are beautiful. Have you considerred making her hair darker? The ceiling is very light, as are the tones on her face, and darker hair could help to frame that part of the picture, being the most important. Right not my eye is drawn a bit more to darker areas like her corset,

The background isn't quite working for me. The colors work, and the sense of light, but the style feels too disparate from the style of the foreground character. Not to say that it should be outlined in the same way: I think your instinct to look at Disney films is a good one. A lot of Disney (and other studios') films have more painterly background but they often look as stylized in their own way as the character design. Your background feels as though it were sketched using a photo as a reference and that sort of realism feels to me like a bit of a mismatch with the character. Perhaps a more stlyized approach to the setting would help fit the charcter more.

anyhow, nonetheless a beautiful piece. Good luck with it!

-mike

Pixelcritter
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
The colours between the girl and the background match great but it still feels too much like shes just been pasted onto a background, it doesnt quite feel like she is there.

You've outlined everything on her but nothing in the background is outlined so it seems out of place. My suggestion is to put highlights over the outlines on the left side of her. Like her legs, arms, etc. I think it would help out alot.

djmagick
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Its as good as any of the truly good art from the late 80's Heavy Metal magazines or Epic. As far as the linework, in many illustrations, anime and comics they follow the convention of using lines on the foreground and none in the background. It is an accepted stylistic convention and it fits very well with the subject here. And concerning the differences between your new and old versions, i liked how the figure loomed larger in the first one, i agree that the background is better in the newer one, however the background is also called into focus more by having reduced the size of the girl. I think a balance could be struck closer to the middle between the size of the foreground figure and the background, or even go back to the original foreground figure size, but thats just my opinion.
Great work!

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.