PDA

View Full Version : tree dynamics...

Ronald
02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
there used to be a tutorial on www.splotsh.com (http://www.splotsh.com) about how to animate a tree with dynamics and stuff. the site is no more, did anybody ever get a hold of that tutorial or knows if it moved somewhere else?

Ronald

amirjahanlou
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Never seen or heard of it but if you want to animate tree by dynamics perhaps you mean wind effects So :

draw joints in the middle of your branches
make an IK spline
Make the spline softbody
Effect it with some fields.
Using component editor change the mass of individual particles in a way that are efected by fields in a right way.

and playback

Hope it works

Ronald
02-21-2005, 12:01 PM
that would have been the way i would have done it, but i can remember the guy used a very elegant way based on several mel scripts, and he was also able to create and animate the leafs on the tree. i could slap myself not having saved it!

bjohnston
02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
How about using PaintFx and converting the PFX to Polys (maintains dynamic attributes thru the PFX stroke).

Ronald
02-25-2005, 07:51 AM
also a good idea, but i need to use custom geometry and wanna be able to let leaves fly away and stuff (which would not be the problem if I only had the basic setup). I could think of a scripted way to create the stuff needed for the motion of the tree, but the distribution/orientation of the leafes seem to be a little problematic.

destruct007
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Ronald, the set up you describe sounds great, I hope someone somewhere sees this post who can help us out.
I was thinking about it and it seems like if you built the branches in chuncks then created an emitters attached to the geo with insanced leaves with inherent factor of 1, and applied a lattice to the chuncks. Make the lattices a soft bodie... I'm sure you've thought this through also.
I was glad tho to see this post come back to the top. It would be great to see a cool tree set up tut.

--Dave

Ronald
02-27-2005, 09:39 PM
As I said, the animation of the tree is sure no problem, and I think I have figured out a way to get nice motion. but when you try to place the leaves using an emitter you will only get leaves where a vertex is (and that might look strange because it might be to regular but might not be too much of a problem). the bigger problem for me right now is to set it up the direction and animation of the leaves right, so that they look in the right direction and move accordingly to the animation of the tree plus having them affected by wind (which would certainly be no field but coded as well). But as this is only stuff i research in my free time, I don't have too much time to really look into it...

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.