PDA

View Full Version : Robot : ROBOT o2a

William b. Hand
02-21-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm pushing my robotic conception & rendering skills in all directions these days.

This is inspired, very directly, by the incredible robot-(and creature)visionary: SAMMY (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23736&page=4&pp=60).
It's pushing me to approach and wrestle with all sorts of problems I normally avoid (that avoidance then leads me to make non-robots which wish they were robots).
Okay, nevermind all of that. Let's just say I'm a stranger to perspective, industrial design, and the sort of general thought that's involved in describing same shapes from differing angles. So.

Whatever. I'll probably make some changes here and there, but nothing too major. The next step will be to throw on some colour/shadows/highlights.

Here's progress thus far...
Constructive Comments are most welcome!

http://homepage.mac.com/dsgarchive5/.Pictures/ROBOT%20o2a%20w.i.p.jpg

William b. Hand
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, I think I'll do some other versions of this thing coloured up, but here's the starter.
Not entirely thrilled with it... I was pretty timid. :hmm:

Comments are Welcome!

http://homepage.mac.com/dsgarchive5/.Pictures/ROBOT%20o2a%20CLR1.jpg

walrus
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I like the design a lot. The bodt and proportions are great, and the face is subtle, but fun. The hand doesn't work for me as well as the rest: It feels mismatched. By which I mean it's very slender and delicate compared to the chunky rest of the body. And also, while you say you're not comfortable with perspective, the body all works quite well in perspective. But the hand is seen straight-on, unlike the rest of the piece, so in that way it feels a little off too.

Good luck with this, I think it's looking nice!

-mike

xuanye
02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
i like it!!

xuanye
02-23-2005, 05:20 PM
i like it!~

Martin_B
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Lovley, especially the posture of the robot. It looks a bit depressed or maybe lazy. Btw: what is the red in the picture numbered 2?

My only crits for the moment (except the hand which i agree on when it's pointed out) is shoulder. I can't really read that area. I don't understand how it's built there and the shoulder part also looks like a neck part.

William b. Hand
02-23-2005, 09:36 PM
walrus - Thanks! Good crits about the hand, I agree with all of that. I might go ahead and attend to that... We'll see. I don't wanna spend too much time on what has really been a good exercise. I still wanna toss some other colours on it, though -- so I may adjust other aspects at the same time.

xuanye - Thank you!

xuanye - Thank you! ;)

Martin_B - Yes - Sad Robot! :cry:
The red shapes in picture no. 2 are the areas that I changed from pic. no. 1.
I started a thread on this bot earlier in the process at a different forum, and that was just pointing out specific progress based on some crits at that thread. If you compare no.1 with no.3 you'll see the differences.

I share your confusion about the arm attachment. That one's probably not gonna get resolved. I don't wanna spend much more time on this bot, and getting that structural area fleshed out would probably take some real doing. I'll be a little more careful on future bots! :D

I'll be posting at least one more update soon...
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

William b. Hand
05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it's not the same bot, but I just did this pic and find it consistent with the flavour of the thread... I figured anyone interested in the original might enjoy this. See whatchya think:

http://homepage.mac.com/dsgarchive2/.Pictures/Depressed%20Robot.jpg

waumans
05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
wow, your robot design is pretty damn hot. The colors you used are very nice, but his hand is a bit too static, a bit too lifeless. nice work on the details, enough but not too many. I love it

and yes, the second one I know from CA's DSG. nice design, I really love the humpback effect you created. It makes him look even more depressed. again, good coloring work, and I love those white plates, on both of the two bots.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.