PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete renders

MWellman
02-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Hello all,

I have been working on this small project of mine during my spare time, and just recently tried rendering out an image and now maya is giving me an error message involving low memory... memory exception thrown... basicly the render doesn't finish completely..

here's a sample image
http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/render.jpg

(i Hope my image shows up)

I don't understand how this could of happened. if anybody can explain to me what could have caused this and how i could fix it.. ?

Undead Fred
02-21-2005, 01:28 AM
It just means you've given the computer too much to think about during the render, so it more or less crashes. It depends on your computer's power (like how much RAM you have and all that) and what's going on in your scene. It didn't look like you had THAT much going on in your scene, but I don't know if there are any characters on the front porch that we're not seeing or something. Also, what kind of shadows are you using? If it's raytraced shadows, you could switch to depth map and cut back on some of the render time that way... (just make sure you turn up your depth map filter size until you don't see any pixelation).

MWellman
02-21-2005, 01:52 AM
theres nothing really hidden from camera but i am using high res testures (not extremely high, but higher then videogames for example..) I beleave I have raytaced on, I'll go play around with that a bit and see if it could help.. I have 1.5 gig of ram in my system... could it be that?

one thing that worries me is that i'm not even nearly done this scene, I plan to have many more buildings around the area and other things.. props and stuff.. although this building would be the main focus of attention (thus having the most detailed work) I still worry if it will be at all possible for me to add more information to the scene.. risking to not even be able to render it.

here are some renders I have done before the problems began showing up...

image 1 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/image1.jpg)
image 2 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/image2.jpg)
image 3 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/image3.jpg)
image 4 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/image4.jpg)
image 5 (http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.wellman/image5.jpg)

thank you

Undead Fred
02-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Ah, I see. So, you have some heavy geometry and raytraced shadows? I'd recommend using depth map (again, toy around with depth map filter size to keep pixelation out of your shadows). Is your geometry polys or SUBD's? SUBD's will be naturally heavier on render time... you may consider leaving flatter surfaces as polygons (assuming you still have both in your scene or whatever), and that should help.

As for the rest of your scene, I'd suggest rendering in passes and composing them together in AfterEffects or whatever you were going to use to compile your frames. I can't give a whole lot of advice about render passes though, since I'm just now learning how to use them.

BillSpradlin
02-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Render from the command line as well with Maya closed. That should free up several hundred mbs of ram.

Undead Fred
02-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Ah, yes, forgot to mention that... I assumed he had done that, but forgot to mention to do that just in case.

MWellman
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
ok, seeing how my lights where still just temporary, I decided to delete them all and just render on default lighting, completely bypassing shadows all together. unfortunatly even with no lights or shadows I still get the incomplete renders... no sign of improvement.

and i havn't been using this command line render thigny at all, and must say i'm quite curious... as far as I know the command line is that white strip we could right in at the bottom left corner of maya.. but seeing how it's in the maya interface.. how can i use it whithout opening maya, would I just direct maya to the file I want renedered whithout opening it up in the UI?? hmm... I would really need some explanation on this....

Undead Fred
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
The command line render's done from a DOS prompt. You have Maya completely closed out, and you open a DOS prompt and use the render command there. The command is: Render -rd [path to the directory you're putting your frames in] [path to your file you're rendering from]

The R in Render must be capitalized, and all of the spaces I had included are supposed to be there. For example, if I'm rendering to a directory called "blarg" and my scene file is called "renderme.mb" in a folder called "scene" within the "project" folder, I would type

Render -rd "c:/blarg/" "c:/project/scene/renderme.mb"

I usually put quotes around the path just to make sure it'll recognize everything properly... I've noticed it won't process directories or files with spaces in the names unless you've got quotes around the paths. You may have to go to the directory that Maya is located in or wherever the scene file is... I remember a few machines being set up differently in the past and I had to go to the Maya directory to render, but that was a long time ago. Also, if the forward slashes don't work, then change them to backslashes. I'm pretty sure they're forward, though.

dann_stubbs
02-28-2005, 05:39 PM
theres nothing really hidden from camera but i am using high res testures (not extremely high, but higher then videogames for example..) I beleave I have raytaced on, I'll go play around with that a bit and see if it could help.. I have 1.5 gig of ram in my system... could it be that?

one thing that worries me is that i'm not even nearly done this scene, I plan to have many more buildings around the area and other things.. props and stuff.. although this building would be the main focus of attention (thus having the most detailed work) I still worry if it will be at all possible for me to add more information to the scene.. risking to not even be able to render it.

here are some renders I have done before the problems began showing up...

thank you

do you really need those high poly trees in there for test renders? i am thinking that is more of the problem - if you don't need them - leave them out - you are working on the buildings right? the trees aren't changing or needed - so turn them off.

how many polys is each tree anyway?

dann

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.