PDA

View Full Version : Will the PSP be a 'make or break' product for Sony? (Observer)

UrbanFuturistic
02-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Playstation slims down to fight iPod (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1418578,00.html) is the headline in UK Sunday paper The Observer. The article reveals that more may be riding on the PSP than you might have thought...

"There was a time when listening to music on the move meant two words: Sony Walkman. Twenty years later the Walkman has joined Betamax and brick-sized mobile phones on the consumer scrapheap. More surprisingly, Sony itself is increasingly seen as a sleeping giant which has fallen behind its rivals."

"Sony's bleak fortunes were underlined when its operating profits in consumer electronics fell 23 percent in the last quarter after an 83 per cent plunge in the previous three months. Ken Kutaragi, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment, took the extraordinary step of admitting the company had blundered by failing to embrace the digital music revolution because of fears its own music business could suffer piracy."

<...more (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1418578,00.html)...>

huydoan.com
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
maybe sony lost their lead because they were arrogant in forcing music companies and music fans to use their minidisc and altrac formats? Who in their right mind would want to convert their mp3 format in to a proprietary format that only Sony minidisc players could read?

So apparently Sony has admit a partial defeat and allow their hardware to actually read mp3s? Great, the PSP can play mp3s. But you still have to use their stupid memory stick which are only compatible with Sony components! And they cost like $130 for a 1 gig stick! I can get a 20 gib Nomad for $200 or a 4 gig Ipod mini for $240.

heavyness
02-21-2005, 04:15 AM
first off, the PSP will not make or break Sony. they make music, movies, tvs, stereos, and the juggernaut PS2 [and soon to be PS3]

also, they better not decide to make the PSP carry the wait for Sony to be their mp3 player. with a $250 price tag + $120 for 1 gig memory stick, it just doesn't add up next to an ipod.

yes, its a great feature for the PSP but they better bring out their own line of mp3 players.

mr_wowtrousers
02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Sony's latest HD players "support" mp3. Trouble is they are still using clunky software for the transfer and checking in and checking out songs is still hamstrung.

Sony refused to support mp3 for years in order to protect ATRAC and it has bit them in the arse. When they released their HD players a quote from one of the execs was "We feel that we have made our point about pirating music with mp3. We believe we have discouraged it. Now we are supporting mp3."

Right, sure guys. It wasn't the fact that iPod and cheap chinese players were wiping the floor with Sony, was it?

I mean, hands up who is going to buy Hi-MD? MD sunk without a trace in the west because it was too expensive and too restricted. In Japan they got it right and MD's were (rightfully) seen as a replacement to cassettes.

As for PSP, it looks very nice. The battery life is worrying though. More worrying are they comments from the SCE CEO re: issues with one of the button placements and malfunction. . .

Hazdaz
02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
The PSP is not even gonna come close to "making or breaking" SONY, but except for the PS line, SONY has been striking out alot lately - atleast in their consumer electronics side of the business (the side that most people know them by). BUT they have all their other businesses like KOLE mentioned that they can reply on to keep the company afloat if it ever gets bad - not that I think it ever will get that bad though.

But SONY is a $35B company - there really isn't that much fear that they are going to go away any time soon - even in the highly unlikely event that the PS3 failed miserably in the marketplace, it still wouldn't sink SONY.

heavyness
02-22-2005, 12:50 AM
lets just say the PSP starts killing people by shocking them to death and the PS3 gets killed by the Xbox2 and Nintendo Revolution...

Sony can either recoup and restructure and make a good PS4, or close all the game offices and sell all the internal studios and technology to make up the difference.

but remember, the PSX [PS1] and PS2 are two of the most popular consoles in history. so i'm sure Sony has some extra money in their pockets in case of a major flop.

dudders
02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
my god, ive just seen it in the flesh and it is fantastic!

I'd be surprised if it didnt do well.

bluepoly
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I also see it in the flesh everyday! It is Glorious!

Pin_pal
02-28-2005, 04:08 PM
I have one and love it. No matter how many pictures, videos, screen shots you see.... When you hold one and see the quality of the graphics/screen, the first word out of your mouth will be "wow"... Guaranteed...

JDex
02-28-2005, 04:18 PM
I won't buy another sony producty until they get off the proprietary media track... media stick? come on. They are still selling digital cameras that use media that only sony products can use... it really makes little sense.

headengine
02-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Late this year or early next, rumours say PSP 2nd gen will hit with a 40GB mini HD built in. If thats true, its great news potentially.

Right now - only a rumour. :shrug:

Geta-Ve
02-28-2005, 05:04 PM
im not getting the psp till i find out if the square button is still hoaxy :p

Hazdaz
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I won't buy another sony producty until they get off the proprietary media track... media stick? come on. They are still selling digital cameras that use media that only sony products can use... it really makes little sense.

... actually, it makes ALOT of sense (for SONY). Locks you into buying only their products and their memory sticks. Totaly blows for consumers, but great for their bottom line - and for 99.9999% of the people out there, its not a big enough issue to be a deal breaker and keep them from buying the PSP (or any of their other products).

js33
03-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Late this year or early next, rumours say PSP 2nd gen will hit with a 40GB mini HD built in. If thats true, its great news potentially.

Right now - only a rumour. :shrug:

I'll wait till then to get one because for me it's useless without a harddrive. By then we will have iPods with 100gb drives so 40 will seem a bit small.

Cheers,
JS

Neil
03-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Actually the whole proprietary issue is what still prevents me from buying an Ipod.
But jdex... this is a gaming consol anyway so proprietary features are pretty much implied.

vrf
03-01-2005, 08:46 AM
... actually, it makes ALOT of sense (for SONY). Locks you into buying only their products and their memory sticks. Totaly blows for consumers, but great for their bottom line - and for 99.9999% of the people out there, its not a big enough issue to be a deal breaker and keep them from buying the PSP (or any of their other products).

I think you're a bit off on your estimate of how many people turn down a product based on the proprietary media. Sony is losing a lot of market share because of trying to lock people into a special system. They totally blew the MP3 thing and are now backpeddling away from their ATRAC format or whatever it's called. Memory stick-driven cameras are a definite no buy for lots of digicam customers. (Note that Sony is starting to put CF slots in some of their high-end cameras now.)

Oh, and what was that Librie thing again? (Although that was more of a DRM issue I guess.)

Hazdaz
03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
I think most consumers don't even know what "proprietary format" even means - and just learn about SONY's scheme AFTER their purchase of a SONY product - at which point it is too late, they already bought into SONY's plan.

greydef
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM

Couldn't agree more. I was irked that the PSP used Memory Sticks & UMDs not mention selling their own software to make video files that will play on the PSP. Having taken the plunge I must say I am very impressed with it and have no regrets - it's rare that something you buy is even better than you expect. Last time I was this impressed was by the PS1. Sony seem to be on to a winner with the PSP and who knows maybe with the increased demand maybe the price of Memory Sticks willl go down... :twisted::rolleyes:

Hazdaz
03-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Here's a question....

What of the PSPs UMD drive? Forget a built-in HD for MP3s and forget memory sticks. Are there UMD drives that you can purchase? And if not - why not?!?

For over a decade SONY was trying to pimp out their horrible minidisc format, and no one bothered with it. Well sounds to me like the UMD would be a perfect substitute. I am curious if SONY is trying to push it as a media for recordable music and videos or are they trying to lock it up and keep it semi-proprietary?

Any word on those UMD discs?

DevilHacker
03-02-2005, 01:20 AM
im not getting the psp till i find out if the square button is still hoaxy :p
The square button problem was not a hoax. It was a true problem that happened to many people in Japan. Sony released a statement that said the problem affected only about 0.6 percent of the 510,000 PSPs that were shipped during 2004. The company assured gamers that the manufacturing problem has since been solved, and PSP units shipped after the start of 2005--all those that will go on sale in the US on March 24--will not suffer from the problem. And to top that off, they also said that they would replace any units that had the button problem free of charge, I heard that they even paid for shipping fees! So basically since you live in Canada, no worries, all problems are fixed. :p
[LINK (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/22/news_6118930.html?tag=lastword_psp_headline)]

Hazdaz
03-02-2005, 01:26 AM
I think he probably mean "hoaky" instead of "hoaxy".

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.