PDA

View Full Version : Bunny Girl Anim

AndyH
02-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi
Dunno if y'all remember seeing this in the finished forum a while back, but ive had a go at animating her.
Im primarily a modeler, so im well out of practice in the animation department. Its my first animation for 2 years, and the first time ive animated in max, so it still needs a lot of work such as tidying up the curves, tweaking the timing and refining secondary animation.
The sound is by Cameron Diaz from 'Something about mary'
The idea is that im gonna do full body animation, with fast, conversation-style dialogue, so i picked this one as a simple test before i animate properly.

The main problem is probably the eye placement - i foolishly animated the lookat obect before i animated the head, so the eyes dont look in the right direction sometimes.

Lemme know if the codec doesnt work or you have problems playing it back. Its indeo & 2.23mb.

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/WIP/Bunny-leave-wip01.avi

Heres the link to the character pics i began with:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=203201

Hope you like

dmonk
02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Quality Stuff!

Good Work.

kgaulin
02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Looks pretty good. I like the eye movement, it kind of looks like she is going through some thought

ace4016
02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
She is very expressive. The animation looks good, but I think the "Just Leave.." needs some work on the lip sync (maybe it was me but it seemed like she was saying 'joseph' with the sound off). That's all I see for now. Looking forward to seeing this complete.

AlyFell
02-20-2005, 07:45 PM
This is looking very nice Andy. Expression is great and the sync works well... buuuuttt, you've chosen a strange bit of dialogue for the test. It is quite disjointed with short words so it relies upon pause for effect rather than full on lip-syncing. But she is going to be so much fun when you go full tilt on animating her! :)

AndyH
02-20-2005, 09:22 PM
It is quite disjointed with short words so it relies upon pause for effect rather than full on lip-syncing.
Thats exactly why i chose this rather than a full on speech. Im pretty unexperienced as far as animation goes - especially in max, so this was just an excercise building up to the final thing.
Once i get this test peice up to scratch, ill work on a more ambitious animation that is more in tune with her character. This anim isnt really reflective of her personality, but it was relatively easy to animate.

I agree with you ace - the start was pretty awkward to synch, and im not happy with it. Im used to animating in XSI using clips, so i kinda got lost in all those keyframe curves!

Capel
02-21-2005, 03:59 AM
Hey Andy. Good work so far. Awesome character.

The only issue i have is with some of the acting. I think her eyes should stay on whoever she's talking to up until she says "go". THEN, she should look away, almost like she's ashamed she just told whoever to leave.

It might be nice, while she's looking at him/her, and it's silent, to add a few very subtle eye darts. (the pupils barely shift left/right/up/down, wherever, back and forth once or twice) Actors do this all the time, while they're thinking, and it adds a whole lot of emotion. and she's got really expressive eyes, so i think it'll be a great addition.

either way, not bad for a 2 year absence.... :)

AndyH
02-21-2005, 06:05 AM
yeah - the eyes look kinda cack now, but when i started off animating the face shapes, i animated the eyes spot on - including some eye darts, but as soon as i animated her head, it lost all that. I tried parenting the lookat object to the head, but then she just doesnt look at anything.
Ah well - live and learn

Spunkeeebakpak
02-21-2005, 01:26 PM
As I mentioned before, it's often best to do the physical animation stuff first with a bit of the rough expression stuff and then tackle eye movement & lipsync. It's a good start though & I like the expressions (which are helped by her being a great model) & the shoulders movement which helps her attitude towards the end quite nicely. Maybe try some moving holds & some overlaps in the motion to stop some of the "drifty" bits. Looking good so far

WanielJorge
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM
:sad: which is the codec? I didn't see the image, only the sound.

AndyH
02-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Update - Ive changed the eye movement, refined the overall animation, improved the hair and ear motion and improved the overall render quality. Id like to consider this finished now.

Now ive kinda got to grips with Max's animation tools, ill try and make a start on my 'proper' animation soon.

Once again, its 3mb and ive encoded it as indeo5 - most people should have it.

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/Images/VIDEOS/Bunny-leave.avi

Kimotion
02-25-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd like to add something. I think the lips move too late, as if the sound is coming out just before she moves her lips. I could be wrong. Maybe sync the audio track a couple of frames later. Remember that we see the movement before we hear words.

Spunkeeebakpak
02-25-2005, 01:30 PM
just viewed it again again Andy & maybe you could try shifting the morpher keys on the lipsync a couple of frames earlier as I've found this can often help that extra bit with sync-ing things up! I'm also not too sure about the movement on the first bit (the "..just leave.." bit)- maybe the head is tilting up too much, especially when you think about what her attitude would be & what she's saying. Otherwise there's some niiiiiiiice work there. Can I see a wireframe?

Junpei
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
wow, nice work! i like the expression, very full :P the only real thing that stands out as being off is that the hair intersects the shoulder pretty far during part of the animation. would be quite a pain to change/fix that though :D .

AndyH
02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
wow, nice work! i like the expression, very full :P the only real thing that stands out as being off is that the hair intersects the shoulder pretty far during part of the animation. would be quite a pain to change/fix that though :D .

Have you checked the latest version? If you look a few posts back, youll see a link to another, more completed animation that has (hopefully) fixed the hair problem.

Junpei
02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
:) great work, just watched the update. sry, hadn't got the update post before i had written the previous post -new member post validation time lag . :D

Volker
02-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Still can't view it. Render to quicktime, sorenson med quality, keyframes every 100 frames.

Zach

6foot5
02-25-2005, 06:19 PM
hey Andy, thats a superb charachter! hats off mate!

with regards to the animation, i find it hard to judge without a context to the dialohue/scene/charachter. though it looks you got some nice expressions. a couple of minor points just to be picky.

1. i think the hair has got too much stretch in it, are you using the flex modifier?

2. that last pose, she looks sideways and then lurches the other way, i feel it might be better to have her turn in the direction she glances as if turning her back on the person she is addressing..just a thought.

Once again , wonderfull work. cant wait to see the finished piece, i hope the character itself made the front page.

Isurus
02-25-2005, 07:01 PM
looks great andy. i dont think you have to render it so big though, just to save yourself some time. have you tried SSS on her? i wonder how much more life like she would look.

Isurus
02-25-2005, 07:03 PM
babyhopper download the latest windows media player or download the latest divx codec from www.divx.com, maybe that will help. (only for pc)

sphere314
03-02-2005, 04:16 PM
this looks really good so far; the subtle expression changes in her face work great and flow nicely. i had been watching this character evolve and it really turned out great. i have a coupla questions tho.. i cant recall what program you used, but for the hair, to get it to move like that, did you just use something similar to the jiggle deformer in maya? oh, while we're on that, i think the hair might bounce juuuuuuuuuust a little too much, just a tad. but thats probably my opinion. i really like this again, and i can't wait to see how far you go with it.

the_podman
03-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Nice work, Andy! Finally going to see one of your superb models moving! That's great. I love what I'm seeing so far. Your target morphs are fantastic. Is all facial movement target morphs or do you have some bone driven helpers(brows, eyes, etc.)?

-pod :)

AndyH
03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Its all morphs - there are about 25 in total. Bit of a headache to manage in the track view, but it allows for some really flexible expressions.
I had a brainstorm yesterday and came up with a great idea to turn this into a short film, but cos the idea is still super sketchy, ill let y'all know about it soon.

SweD
03-04-2005, 08:13 AM
WoW ! wainting the short film !! However i guess the hairs has got too stretch (like 6foot5), i'm a fan of you work Andy ! Without anim, techniks, there is a great idea on creating and stylizing, and i'm sure your brainstorm session hides a VERy good idea too ! in attempt...

sorry for my baaad english...i'm a poor french...and french doesn't speak english ! :P

Sw3D

tomra
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Aww...i feel soooo sad, iīm "stuck" with a mac and canīt see it :cry:
Been watching your stuff over andover again in the wip thread as well as the finished piece, incredible character, i am truly amazed :eek:

CybrHawg
03-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Add one more to the list of "on a Mac, can't see it". There are probably others that just aren't saying anything. I've tried it with every codec known to Mac, no joy. If it's not too much trouble, can you post it in a format that everybody can see? Love the stills. Great overall feel to the character. Real personality. I'm sure the animation looks great as well.

PixelTales
03-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Couldn't read the codec do you have it in any other file types, divix maybe?

the_podman
03-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Bink it, baby.(www.radgametools.com (http://www.radgametools.com))... sorry, like to promote that codec.(works on mac also)

Actually, maybe .mov would be better for da macsters out there. I'll gladly host a quicktime of it, but I don't want to link to it without Andy's permission. Andy?

-pod
my so-so work (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=176727)

Caine607
03-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Man I thought this was great as a still pic. Now your making an animation. Sweet! But yeah, like the other guy said a sub surface scatterer, would look awesome... I think. Oh the morphs on hair rule.

florian
04-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Heya !

I love this character. Very nice to see her animated. Your face expressions are wonderfull.
Maybe you could post some more of your morph targets? :bowdown:

I'm also no animator, but your animation looks very smooth. Maybe some more frames in between could do wonders.
Just like Capel mentioned for the eye movement, you should try some more subtle changes in motion.

cheers
flo
:beer:

AndyH
04-28-2005, 12:59 PM
ta matey.

Ive got the whole 1 1/2 minute short storyboarded and planned. Im trying to get the composition and framing professionally done and nailed down before i work on any environmental details though. I dont really want to post anything until ive sorted these problems out and are starting production properly. Im just not motivated at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 12:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.