PDA

View Full Version : A Scanner Darkly Trailer

RobertoOrtiz
02-20-2005, 05:13 AM
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2665143?htv=12

-R

hypercube
02-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Pretty damn interesting..wasn't expecting it to be that tight..that's really cool. Looking forward to this one.

Kinda loses some of the effect that small, but even there, can see a lot of it working in a nice way IMO. I think the indoor stuff seems to work better than that one outdoor shot..either way though as things start to turn south they could definitely do some very trippy things in the context they've set up.

BillB
02-20-2005, 06:23 AM
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2665143?htv=12

-R

Tiny hopeless playback, gave up halfway through :(

When are these studios gonna stop releasing these things as annoying streams that are non-downloadable? Heaven forbid we show these things to other people, or at *least* be able to watch them ourselves!

The film looks interesting, but they're not doing themselves any favours...

Vent over :)

Tait
02-20-2005, 10:11 AM
seems to play as a quicktime for me, gives you the option.

so excited about this film. waking life just blew me away visually, and this is looking very interesting.

Fahrija
02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
seems to be the new style (like sin city and sky captain but much more colors :))

anyway it looks interessting.

fahrija

Gentle Fury
02-20-2005, 03:26 PM
hmmm, interesting look.

Not quite animation, not quite live action.

I guess this is kinda using roto-scoping for a film effect rather than being an animated film.

Looks like it could be cool.....but why do they keep wasting good characters on Keanu Reeves??? Seriously, the guy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag!!

Geta-Ve
02-20-2005, 05:58 PM
wow.. thats ultra weird.. i dunno what i think of that, personally i like reeves.. so all is good there. but i dunno what i think about the look :/

im almost sure the general public wont like it.. too... riskay? too new maybe..

BillB
02-20-2005, 07:48 PM
seems to play as a quicktime for me, gives you the option.

Yeah, that worked better. As for having to pay to watch the hires version of a trailer - that's just plain dumb. Like I'm gonna pay them for the privilege of selling me something :rolleyes:

Not sure about the film - can't see it being a blockbuster with that look. Be interesting to hear a bit about the techniques involved.

arctor
02-20-2005, 08:07 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ascannerdarklyqt1.html

I'm really not happy about this at all....
I don't see much in this visual style - it looks like a hacky photoshop job to me....I could care less about the technology or effort involved...this film will fail because few people are going to go see what looks like a badly drawn cartoon...
so once again we get a PKD film that could have been so much better...

beaker
02-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Ahh cool. This is directed by Richard Linklater, the guy who did "Waking Life".

PhilOsirus
02-20-2005, 11:53 PM
It looks great to me. I don't see why it would be better to film this the traditionnal way, after all various effects are taking place on screen constantly, so you would have ended up with the usual special effects-dosed movies we always see. Instead, they decided to merge the speciall effects with the movie itself to give an identity of its own. It's like saying that all comic books should be drawn the same way, and that the only thing that matters is the story. How about the story matters as much as the presentation!

lummoxmine
02-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Does anyone have any clue what they may have used to do this? It looks rotoscoped but,a few things strike me as odd. Unlike regular rotoscoping, there seems to be some great almost toon shader-esk edge detection (and subsequent interior outlining) going on... The look is really cool, I wonder how and if they sucessfully pulled off in a consistant manner.

eliseu gouveia
02-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Looking nice.

However, I canīt seem to quite grasp whatīs with this A scanner darkly" title.
Maybe itīs my limited english skills, but it sounds kinda rough in the ears.

mgarward
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Looking nice.

However, I canīt seem to quite grasp whatīs with this A scanner darkly" title.
Maybe itīs my limited english skills, but it sounds kinda rough in the ears.
There's a line from somewhere (someone help me out, I think it's in the bible) "for now we see as through a glass, darkly." A glass being a mirror, or looking glass, and seeing through it "darkly" meaning we don't see clearly. Philip K. Dick's title "A Scanner Darkly" is like a futuristic reference to that line, a scanner replacing the mirror in the original.

Hugh
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
In the book, 'scanners' were the equivalent of cameras to us (except scanners gave full 3D views of rooms...)

I believe the title comes from a verse from the bible....

<one quick google later>

1 Corinthians 13, v12:
"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face"

I'm sure that in some translations, it is something like "Now we see in a mirror darkly...."

Anyway, my understanding is that it is to do with the fact that, even if we can see something, it is still not always clear - there are things other than the visual ones which can cloud our vision...

Edit: Okay, so someone kinda got there before me....

ZEROSKULL
02-23-2005, 05:46 AM
http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2005/ascannerdarkly_019026/ascannerdarkly_trlr_01_dl.mov

AlexAlvarez
02-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Heya...

I thought the trailer looked pretty cool.

check out the DVD for Waking Life.
The bonus features has a spotlight on how they accomplished the effect.
This was made awhile back, so I imagine they developed a newer method, but from what I remember the technique involved vector graphics/flash.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YU1O/qid=1109183011/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-8007073-5908807?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

-Alex

Troy
02-23-2005, 06:24 PM
just looks like basic vectors to me, you could do that with flash.

The trailer looked okay, some parts were a bit poor though

Yorgo12345
03-06-2005, 03:47 AM
You know what?... I didn't really like it. I mean it looks kinda cool, but kinda wrong. I'll watch the movie, I just found something "visually annoying" about that rotoscoped style.

BillSpradlin
03-06-2005, 06:36 AM
This is so 2 weeks ago...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=213421

Heh.

hypercube
03-06-2005, 08:07 AM
This is so 2 weeks ago...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=213421

Heh.

You did notice that this thread was started 4 days earlier than yours, right? Heh.

mangual
03-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Honestly, it did not impress me all that much.

BillSpradlin
03-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes, hence the sarcasm =) My dry sense of humor sometimes gets lost in text.

Vladvrz
03-07-2005, 02:53 AM
First I hearof this,looks to be interesting.:thumbsup:

ivanisavich
03-07-2005, 03:20 AM
I dunno...it looks Ok...

Although since the "animation" is so floaty (ie, the shading on the peoples' faces sometimes looks like it's floating on water)...it was sometimes confusing and hard to tell when that one guy would "warp" into another person (because it just looked like more of that floating, watery shading)...knowudimean??

Other than that, I'm pretty intrigued.

colintheys
03-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Ahh cool. This is directed by Richard Linklater, the guy who did "Waking Life".

I was just trying to think of the title of that movie. :) Now I know why it reminded me of the style so strongly. I liked waking life a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2005, 04:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.