PDA

View Full Version : Why am I getting these lines?

PixelVampire
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
All of a sudden I am getting these lines. I am using Maya software renderer. The model was rendering fine but now everytime I render I get these lines in various parts of the model.
Maybe on this image you don't see it clearly but there are parallel lines running diagonally on the image.
Any idea on what could be causing it?

Jackdeth
02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Looks like low rez depthmap shadows.

PixelVampire
02-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Looks like low rez depthmap shadows.

Thanks for the reply Colin. Yes it is definetely related to Dmap because it renders fine if I uncheck depthmap.

What I don't understand is why it rendered fine when depthmap resolution was set at 900 but now it does not even if I raise the Dmap resolution to 3000!

Let me raise it to 4000 and see what happens.

Edit- Yes raising the res. to 5000 solved the problem. Still don't understand how it was rendering fine at a much lower res. Anyway thanks ;-)

LehaS
02-20-2005, 08:14 AM
It looks like self-shadowing artifact......u d better raise your Depth Map Bias value a bit ...to get away of self-shadowing....

Alexi

JHope
02-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Just a stab opposite of what everyone else is saying. Got to component mode...verts...select all...Edit Polygons....Normals...Soften Harden...All soft 180. Maybe....???
JHope:)

ooz
02-21-2005, 10:16 AM
raising the Dmap to anything above 1024 will result in prolonged render times, so u might as well use raytracing, its more realistic and takes around the same time if not less... (and ull lose those lines u are getting)

just something i learned on a gnomon tutorial about lighting.... thought id share

amirjahanlou
02-21-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't beleive incresing the dmap resolution more than 1024 will be any help in contrary try to render from different angles and make sure if it happenes in a specific place, which If so it means you have a problem with your normals , Otherwise you better play with Dmap bias to get rid of that type of shadows.

Hope it works

You can also try using layared rendering to make sure where is it coming from .

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.