PDA

View Full Version : HDR reflection map alpha problem.

DazP
02-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey all, strange issue here. If I have an HDR map applied to a sphere acting as a reflection map, and Im using transparent materials, even though the sphere is flagged to be non renderable ( and there's a long winded reason as to why I'm using a sphere as opposed to the IBL node ), it still draws in the transparent areas of the image. Like so ( glasses ) :

http://home.comcast.net/%7Edpattenden/images/hdr.jpg

I've had a good old play around but can't figure this out. Anyone know how I can stop it drawing?

thanks!

Erik-Brear
02-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Its not only showing the HDR through the transparent areas , but also reflecting it on your glasses. its sorta understandable that it shows on the reflection , but for transparent areas , i cant understand it. I wonder if this is somthing that cant be solved.

Erik-Brear
02-19-2005, 10:51 AM
This is my particular problem,
http://www.zombiedesign.com/polycountbits/comp2.jpg

floze
02-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Have you tried turning off 'Visible In Refractions' in your sphere's render stats?

Erik-Brear
02-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Good idea , but it didnt make a difference ...

anevsky
02-20-2005, 12:19 PM
visible in reflections, refractions, and primary visibility

DazP
02-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the help but I'm not sure you've understood my issue. This is unsolvable as far as I can see. I'm resorting to using the IBL node which is I suppose what I should have done all along.

thanks anyway.

Erik-Brear
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
IBL , can you set a background colour? when i turn off the visabilety of the image the background turns black, and as far as i can see , it cant be changed.

Basicly what i want , is a white gallery style enviroment , but with a HDR light setup.

Anyone know how this is done?

DazP
02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Hahah Erik. I knew there was a reason that I wasn't using IBL, I just forgot what it was :)

Yeah that's stumped me before. IBL primary visibility off = black environment colour. I'd quite like to figure out a fix too!

Erik-Brear
02-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I tryed going back to the sphere with HDR mapped , it seems the transparency problem only occures when set against the enviroment background... so if i could set the HDR sphere inside anothe sphere of the colour i want the background , and still have it light the scene , it should all work ...

Erik-Brear
02-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Nope , still no luck .... somone here must have the answer?

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.