PDA

View Full Version : Robot : METAL BUG o1 : ps7 sketch

William b. Hand
02-19-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm trying to learn myself some interesting robot rendering... So, that's what this is.

Anybody know some good tutorials on shadows? My shadows are always confused.
Comments are appreciated.
http://homepage.mac.com/dsgarchive5/.Pictures/metal%20bug%201.jpg

William b. Hand
02-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Maybe I should rephrase that as: Constructive comments appreciated.

Here's an update. The foremost end has been fleshed out a bit more, and there's some detail added to those scrawny legs. For the moment, I've nixed the lousy shadow.

http://homepage.mac.com/dsgarchive5/.Pictures/metal%20bug%201b.jpg

Hexebah
02-19-2005, 04:12 AM
I can't draw for peanuts so I certainly can't offer much in the way of critique or advice.
Personally, I'm not sure about the rear-end of this piece as I think it detracts from the main form. Your shadow should have some graduated falloff to make them appear more realistic. Keep going!

Octothreat
02-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Well, I don't know what Kamil was on at the time, but I think that robot is quite good. The reflections seem intriguing and well placed. I don't actually know of any good tutorials, but I just wanted to give you a little deserved encouragement. Keep it up!

Ognus
02-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Kamil is saying mean things in every thread.
I think the bug looks very slick.

matman
02-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I think its awesome. At first sigth its looks 3D. Maybe the shape of the bug dosent seems very interesting to me, but i think the render is amazing. Keep it up.

Swoop
02-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Looks very rendered 3d at first glance.. good job. Nice reflections, and i dont entirely dislike the shadow exept the shadow on the back of the body.. looks like it should be bigger on the ground i think.
Great work and hopefully you will do a small walkthrough of such and image some day ;D

William b. Hand
02-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Hexebah - Don't care for the rear of the piece, huh? You mean the part in the foreground? I was sort of imagining that this thing is facing away from us when I started off, but at this point I don't really know what to think... So... I guess I share your ambivalence about the overall structure.
Mainly this was an exercise in metallic rendering, and also in the sort of cool organic-tech machinations that I've seen on these forums. I appreciate your suggestion about the shadow fall-off, and I'll try to implement that before abandoning this pic. :D

Octothreat and Ognus - Thanks for the kind words!

matman - Really?.. 3D? Cool. We'll see if I can come up with a better overall form for the next one... :hmm: Glad you like the other aspects!

Swoop - More 3D?? Wow, I'm pleased this is hittin' people in that fashion. I see what you mean about needing a longer shadow, though. I will do this thing that you suggest. As for a walkthrough... :argh: !! Maybe someday... but so far I've been unsuccessful in actually pulling one together. Hm. It's been awhile since I've even considered it, do you know the Mac key combination that activates snapshots? Also, what do you look for in a tut? Do you care much about the text, or are you happy just with a series of w.i.p. shots?

:love: Thanks for all the comments, guys.

RLyons
02-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Thats looking fantastic, some lights coming from it's under belly might bring out some contrast.

William b. Hand
02-21-2005, 03:47 AM
:)

Thanks, RLyons!

I took a look at your Mr. Roboto pic, and that thing is just beautiful! (I'll post a comment on that thread later... now is not a good time)

As for your comment about the lights... Can you elaborate? To begin with, I think the bottom is pretty frumpy looking and I'm not sure I'd wanna attract attention to it, as is...
But beyond that, I'm not really sure I follow you. Are you suggesting I add a light source.. Maybe a different colour? And what area do you feel begs for contrast? ..Or are you maybe suggesting that I throw some fog lights on it to make it stylish? :D

Again, I love that Bot of yours and I'll have to dig further into your histories to see what else you're sharing here. I'm working on a very different approach to a very different robot right at the moment (short attention span?). See whatchya think...
>> OTHER ROBOT (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=212698) <<

RLyons
02-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Sorry to be so vague, I love the bug so far, but it just seems a little lifeless, I was thinking some light source from within the robot, maybe a nice orange to stand out against the grey and blacks being used. It can also be used to add more detail in the darker areas, with a hint of reflection from the internal light highlighting the edges of geometry otherwise obscured by shadow. Wasn't thinking spot lights, that maybe something else to experiment with.

The other robot sketch looks great aswell, I'll be watching to see how they turn out.

l_farley13_l
02-21-2005, 06:02 AM
The rendering improved in the second image, but I was digin' the attempt to put it into an environment in the first. For shadows just remember that with most any source, the shadows will be darker the closer the object is to the ground, and the more ground it covers. like under a chair is a dark shadow, radiating outward. Likewise the closer the object is to the ground the sharper the shadow. like the legs of a chair. Sharp and dark where it touches and softer outwards.

So pretty much copy the shadows from any kind of chair and you will be well on your way :)

Farley

[?]
10-08-2005, 08:41 AM
i love this, the only real critique i can probably give is try and make the lines and stuff a little more defined? like the top right corner area, is a bit blurry. maybe make it a bit more sharp, either than that this is fantastic!!! great work, looks like real metal

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2005, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.