PDA

View Full Version : "Loonatics" VIDEO PREVIEW ! Details of Bugs Bunny 2.0 (Looney Toones Remake) UPDATE!

RobertoOrtiz
02-18-2005, 09:24 PM
VIDEO!

http://www.aintitcool.com/downloads/LoonaticsPreview.mov

Quote:
"While names for the "Loonatics" are still tentative, Warner Bros. has produced a promotional short showcasing the new designs, names and abilities of the Loonatics superhero team.

Buzz: Team leader with laser and martial arts expertise
Duck: Weapons expert with built-in sonar
Roadster: Super speed
Spaz: Team muscle with jaws of steel
Lexi: Disguise expert with super hearing
Slick: Vehicles and surveillance; regeneration abilities "

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=1788
-R

hypercube
02-18-2005, 09:44 PM
see this thread for a lot of earlier reactions.. :hmm:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211700

Seems like this is so early all they have is the one or two character sheets. Nice to see the full clip, but I still stand by my initial reactions to this. Moreso with the "What's Up, Doc" part. Yeargh. :shrug:

ArtisticVisions
02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Kinda hope all this negative response will force WB to kill the show before it's finished, but I sadly doubt it. This is just sheer stupidity....

Geta-Ve
02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Kinda hope all this negative response will force WB to kill the show before it's finished, but I sadly doubt it. This is just sheer stupidity....

because we know how often wb comes to cgtalk . . . lol ^_^

as per the show, looks like another mindless kids show, like teen titans UGH!

BrockSamson
02-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Great vengence shall be visited upon those that created this blasphamy!

j/k, but really, this sucks out loud.

ArtisticVisions
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
because we know how often wb comes to cgtalk . . . lol ^_^
No, I'm not talking about just here; it seems everyone and their Grandma who knows about this new "direction" for Looney Toons is extremely displeased at WB for this (at least, according to what I've read).

Spankspeople
02-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah... Every other forum I frequent, as well as various Livejournal communities are talking about it. This is the only place I've found video of it so far, though.

I'm just waiting for it to hit Slashdot, though they're usually a few days behind everybody else.

hypercube
02-18-2005, 10:28 PM
..it seems everyone and their Grandma who knows about this new "direction" for Looney Toons is extremely displeased at WB for this..
Heh, pretty much right on the money..my older friend's parents (who are grandparents) didn't even see much about it and were upset that "They screwed up Bugs Bunny!".

Geta-Ve
02-18-2005, 11:06 PM
oh :p my bad then.

hmm, who knows what will happen then.

Mysterious X
02-18-2005, 11:28 PM
WB...u make me...sick...sick...sick

RobW720
02-18-2005, 11:40 PM
is this show gonna be done in flash? that didnt look like to much warner brothers animatedy goodness to me, though i could be wrong. maybe its just crap for this.

JesseDavis
02-18-2005, 11:44 PM
it's like someone puked in my eyes then washed it out with vinegar and acid

not really. But it made me cringe when "Buzz" said what's up doc. Thanks (or maybe no thanks) for the video Roberto

Shogmaster
02-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for raping my childhood, WB!

hypercube
02-19-2005, 12:04 AM
is this show gonna be done in flash? that didnt look like to much warner brothers animatedy goodness to me, though i could be wrong. maybe its just crap for this.

Odds are this far out from air they don't have any finished animation back, so this was just put together with available bits and additional effects by others or an outside house.

Who knows, maybe they'll make it all 1998-flash-like sliding cutouts just to make sure it's as far from the originals as possible. :p

Next up..Tweety as a spongmonkey..WE WOVE DESE SUBS!

Unled
02-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Holy crap that looks unbelievably bad! Seriously, it looks like it was done in flash. Is this what Warner Bros has been reduced to?
Everything is so flat and crappy, there's not a drop of the original Loony Tunes in there anywhere.
My guess is this will bomb horribly and will slip out of existence before you can say "ruined heritage."

I know there's talent out there that could probably capture the orignal Loony Tunes feel. We need some renegade animators to get in there and shake things up a bit.

oh man, and the people look so increadibly generic too. Do all saturday morning cartoons have the same guy doing designs for all the shows?

Ordibble-Plop
02-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Spaz: Team muscle...

Such delicious irony :applause:

I guess WB didn't pass this through their culture filter.

need4cg
02-19-2005, 03:03 AM
I'm gonna be sick!

It's a good thing I stopped watching WB after Batman Beyond finished its run.

At least when they made Tiny Toons, there was a bit more respect to the original Looney Toons.

mmkelly011881
02-19-2005, 04:33 AM
um.. wow, i read through all of these posts before i watched it and i still wasn't prepared for how bad it was...

ArtisticVisions
02-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Just saw the trailer now (had to download on dial-up)... I had seen the character design sheet, but I was not prepared for the utter suckiness/craptastic of that preview.

Let's pray this thing dies before it's born. :banghead:

harlan_hill
02-20-2005, 05:51 PM
it's like someone puked in my eyes then washed it out with vinegar and acid

LOL!!! That was AWESOME...umm the quote, not the Loonatics!!! :)

joel3d
02-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Lame idea!...But what else is new.

But this is some good maketing.

rougue 13
02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
so now the roadrunner has super speed hmm very creative:rolleyes:..and Elmer will have shoulder mounted ion cannon with a lazer guided targeting system.

arctor
02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
do a google for " buzz bunny ".....

ThomasMahler
02-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Whoa! How much did Warner pay the guy who's responsible for the story? That's incredibly stupid and bland. Oh my...

Gentle Fury
02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but this looks worse than teen titans. Is it even gonna have a cheezy japanese intro song to have it make no sense at all? Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this is just retarded!

zeilstra999
02-21-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know guys... You gotta think about their target audience. I seriously doubt that their target audience is ages 18-35 (the ones who grew up on the original Looney Tunes). I gotta hand it to them to try and reinvent the Looney Tunes to the more recent generation. Granted i think it's a horrible idea, but for kids these days, it may work. Probably won't last long, but hey, gotta try things out. I guarentee that if you asked a 9 year old if he remembers or loves Bugs Bunny, they would be like "Huh, what are you talking about? Never heard of him. I only watch Yu Gi Oh." Or something along those lines. So, I think WB is just trying to reinvent the Looney Tunes to the interest of todays KIDS. Not adults who grew up on the originals. Just my 2 cents. For what it's worth.

ArtisticVisions
02-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't know guys... You gotta think about their target audience. I seriously doubt that their target audience is ages 18-35 (the ones who grew up on the original Looney Tunes).
Looney Toons is the one cartoon around that anybody of any age can watch and enjoy, period; doesn't matter if they were born in the 1950s or the 1990s, kids of all ages enjoy Looney Toons.

What WB is doing, reinventing them as super-hero "Lunatics", is nothing more than their attempt at cashing in on the action cartoon, "Ameri-anime" crazy (by that, I'm refering to Teen Titans, Static Shock, new Ninja Turtles, etc.). They obviously have no respect for the original property and will do anything to make a buck...

dudders
02-21-2005, 02:12 PM

ROFL!!

SPAZ: Team muscle

LOL!! :scream: :applause:

mgarward
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Is it even gonna have a cheezy japanese intro song to have it make no sense at all?

Just as long as they have blue hair. (You gotta have the blue hair!)

Yen3D
02-21-2005, 02:25 PM
It looks SO SO SO Bad... please WB donīt do this show!!! :sad:

Pentagramma
02-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Awful stuff, obviously - and also not very original:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/post-26-1108762412.jpg

hypercube
02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
heh, when reading in the first article that the designers were the same as Swat Kats, it definitely clicked, they didn't fall far from the tree there. Clenched teeth..no pupils..big hands..done!

Ewan Lee
02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
TUNK! TUNK! WROOOOOOOOOOM...

Yeah, thats the sound of my nuts dropping on the ground and swiftly rolling away...

cha0t1c1
02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know, I think that it is good to watch a bland, mind numbing, puke stimulating, peace of crap, once in a while. Just to treasure the good stuff.

ace4016
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Just watched the clip......HORRIBLE!!! Buzz Bunny butchered "Eh, Whats Up Doc." WB should leave the super hero business to DC and Marvel. I bet my lilttle brother is jumping off the walls to see it; poor kid was born in '95 and he didnt get to see the better, funnier looney tunes. Good thing I'm asleep when they show saturday morning cartoons now; most of the "new" cartoons out there suck since they are really just remakes of something older. Can't wait for someone to release something new and different.

ArtisticVisions
02-22-2005, 12:02 AM
heh, when reading in the first article that the designers were the same as Swat Kats, it definitely clicked, they didn't fall far from the tree there. Clenched teeth..no pupils..big hands..done!
Still, Swat Kats was a hell of a lot better than this Lunatics crap (and they had cooler designs, to boot).

Pentagramma: Where'd you find that Swat Kat art? Comic?

TUNK! TUNK! WROOOOOOOOOOM...

Yeah, thats the sound of my nuts dropping on the ground and swiftly rolling away...
Yeh, that about sums it nicely. :D

erilaz
02-22-2005, 01:16 AM
I can just see this sort of thing on Jerry Springer:

"I'm an animator and I worked on Lunatics."

Brad: "Honey, I've got something to tell you..."
Sally: "What Brad?"
Brad: "You know those couple of months I spent working for a new client?"
Sally: "Uh huh..."
Brad: "Well I was working on a fad-teenage remake of Bug Bunny."

AND BRING ON THE SWEARING!

AnimBot
02-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Holy Crap! I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for this to come out. It's about time they got a makeover those original designs are outdated. It's like they were made in like the 1950's or something. The only thing that's stupid is the what's up doc phrase it just doesn't match Buzz Bunny's Edgy look I think it should be something way awesomer like "What's up Dude?" Or maybe they could have like a super heroe tie in if he said something like "What's up Doc Ock?" OMG! Who do you guys think would win in a fight!? Buzz Bunny or Bugs Bunny or SpiderMan! Spider Man 2! That movie totally rocked my frigging socks off that's why I'm getting a PSP instead of the DS because the graphics are going to be much better to show that movie on the PSP. I hope they have a game planned for the Loonatics on Psp so I don't have to by the DS.

erilaz
02-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Holy Crap! I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for this to come out. It's about time they got a makeover those original designs are outdated. It's like they were made in like the 1950's or something. The only thing that's stupid is the what's up doc phrase it just doesn't match Buzz Bunny's Edgy look I think it should be something way awesomer like "What's up Dude?" Or maybe they could have like a super heroe tie in if he said something like "What's up Doc Ock?" OMG! Who do you guys think would win in a fight!? Buzz Bunny or Bugs Bunny or SpiderMan! Spider Man 2! That movie totally rocked my frigging socks off that's why I'm getting a PSP instead of the DS because the graphics are going to be much better to show that movie on the PSP. I hope they have a game planned for the Loonatics on Psp so I don't have to by the DS.

That was a beautiful monologue AnimBot. You've refined the art of droll sarcasm to it's peak.:D

Dr Dardis
02-22-2005, 04:06 AM
Oh Dear,

seems like a parody, a shining example of not what to do... only it's REAL!!

Like "poochie" from the itchy and scratchy show...

Marketing lady;

"I attribute its failure to the shift in our key demographic..... Coupled with the overall crumbiness of poochie"

Buzzword morons in charge of content = lousy content. This is what happens when you place higher priority on the marketing of a product than actually producing something OF VALUE. Sales people can't see the difference, mainly because they were born without a soul.

How dare they besmirch the heritage of those great characters! GRRRRRRR.

The Doc.

ace4016
02-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Oh Dear,

seems like a parody, a shining example of not what to do... only it's REAL!!

Like "poochie" from the itchy and scratchy show...

Marketing lady;

"I attribute its failure to the shift in our key demographic..... Coupled with the overall crumbiness of poochie"

Buzzword morons in charge of content = lousy content. This is what happens when you place higher priority on the marketing of a product than actually producing something OF VALUE. Sales people can't see the difference, mainly because they were born without a soul.

How dare they besmirch the heritage of those great characters! GRRRRRRR.

The Doc.

Amen. Funny thing is that the old episodes of the simpsons plays on the WB; you would think they would watch what they put on thier stations

RobW720
02-22-2005, 05:30 AM
ya think anyone over at the WB' has read this thread? we should send it to them

Swizzle
02-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Instructions:

Drop head into hands.
Weep.
Repeat step 2 as necessary.

RobertoOrtiz
02-22-2005, 05:58 AM
Also have you guys noticed that none of the WB characters with speech impediments
go the 'upgrade'?

-R

Per-Anders
02-22-2005, 06:11 AM
hmm... well daffy had a lisp.

KingMob
02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
This could honestly be a SNL mock-commercial!

Its got everything, a ridiculous idea, thats so bad you know it could be true,
Its a product NO ONE asked for, and it takes itself sooo freaking seriously its hillarious.

THis is actually the funniest thing WB could have doen with these characters.

I would love to see the REAL warner gang come out and trounce these cheap copy (swat) cats downa peg.

I hope they buy all their products from acme and blow up...but since they want to go with realism they cant just bounce back.

What an amazingly unoriginal idea. The sadest part is it seems kids cant have FUNNY cartoons anymore... bah.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that WB execs are going to jump out from behind the proverbial curtain and say "GOTCHA SUCKERS!" and then reveal that they've managed to clone Tex Avery, Bob Clampitt, Chuck Jones, McKimson and even Freleng (I suppose) too. and that in actuality, they're going to produce real Looney Toons cartoons again.

[edit] After watching this I have to say... is this entire thing being done in Korea, or some place where perhaps they don't really know what Looney Toons is as much as in the States? I mean... a lot of people work on shows they don't care for, but there's a line, and this is like desecrating the graves of every single WB animator great. I can't believe they could find enough trained animators in the States to work on this show that would be willing to degrade themselves so utterly.

crazy3dman
02-22-2005, 08:00 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :D That alone should be enough to make them rethink this idea.

dudders
02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Dethspicable - isnt that a speach impediment?

metroeast
02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
If WB wanted to do a hero cartoon then they have the DC properties. Looney Toons were just that "LOONEY". If you want to reinvent them or redesign them, fine, but don't loose the focus of why they were successful and loved by millions.

They were funny! They reminded us of those funny people we might see now and then and put them in extreme situations. This is a prime example of execs driving creative. It never works. You make the characters into sell outs. If you think the idea is great, then do it without hanging the Loony Toons name to it.

Let the animator and designers do there job and come up with their own ideas.

Chuck Jones and Tex Avery are rolling in their graves. Shame on you for soiling their lifes work.
What took them years to build, WB execs will kill in an instant.

JacquesPena
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Well before I saw the preview, I thought I will be seeing a new, funnier update to the looney toons I grew up with. Sadly, seeing bugs bunny the way they produced it, seemed kinda odd and very sad when I look back at what bugs bunny was. I can see the effort they want to shell out, but I dont understand it. As for the animation, not what I expected it. "Whats up doc?".. Noting exciting bugs, thats whats up.

angel
02-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Buzz Bunny (http://www.sextingles.co.uk/p/V0676_h.html)

MUAHA HA HA HA HA!

priceless.

g8ff
02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
i saw the preview.

i sat at my desk and wept openly.

BillB
02-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't know guys... You gotta think about their target audience.

They had it on a news item here, and they showed the design to a 4 year old kid. His response was great - a disdainful "That's evil Bug's Bunny!"

So give the kids a little credit. If nothing else, they've all seen Space Jam etc.

If they're gonna change them so much, why not just create something completely new!?

Yech.

RobertoOrtiz
02-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Quote:

" The network's animators have re-imagined Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote as sleek new figures for a modern age.

``We all flipped for it,'' David Janollari, president of the Kids' WB, said this week. ``We just said, `Wow, what a great way to take the classic Looney Tunes franchise that has been huge with audiences for decades and bring it into the new millennium.'''

Janollari said both boys and girls enjoyed the new action figures in test runs of the show. Their parents may be a little surprised, however.

``I think the legacy is intact,'' he said. ``If anything, it's an homage to the legacy instead of a destruction of the legacy.'' "
>>Link<< (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/tv/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1401&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050217%2F1902196227.htm&sc=1401&floc=TV_1-T)
-R

JulianHo
02-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Janollari said both boys and girls enjoyed the new action figures in test runs of the show. Their parents may be a little surprised, however.

There you have it, a marketing-driven show. :cry:

klingspor
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Usually I don't post in this kind of thread, but what WB is doing here is just too much!

I'm so sick of this trendy flat flash design. Just sick. I can't stand it on the web and in art, and now they're bringing it to TV. To Bugs Bunny, of all things?!
The whole thing has the quality of a ring-tone commercial, maybe there's some kind of tie-in there, too? Always got to make money, eh?

What I really want to know: Why?! Why do they do it? They must have anticipated that they would tick off a huge number of (mostly adult) people who grew up with the toon! And all that for no good reason, as far as I can see.
Now those ticked-off adults are expected to buy toys of this abomination for their kids?! Pure genius! The marketing-droids have done it again...

And I thought it was bad when Disney decided to go 3D with Mickey Mouse! This is crazy...

ArtisticVisions
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Quote:

" The network's animators have re-imagined Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote as sleek new figures for a modern age.

``We all flipped for it,'' David Janollari, president of the Kids' WB, said this week. ``We just said, `Wow, what a great way to take the classic Looney Tunes franchise that has been huge with audiences for decades and bring it into the new millennium.'''

``I think the legacy is intact,'' he said. ``If anything, it's an homage to the legacy instead of a destruction of the legacy.'' "
>>Link<< (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/tv/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1401&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050217%2F1902196227.htm&sc=1401&floc=TV_1-T)
-R
Wow... actual proof that a person can be a complete, greedy-corporate jackass and all-around, "dumb as a stone post-retarded" moron at the same time. :eek:

RobertoOrtiz
02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Quote:
"in Warner Bros. Animation’s recently announced Loonatics cartoon series. But it turns out that "Buzz" is also the name of a copyrighted character created by Dutch freelance designer and illustrator Metin Seven.

"I have only just discovered the issue, because my Figure Farm website (http://www.figurefarm.com/) traffic has suddenly gone berserk the last few days," Seven told Toon Zone.

"After some investigation I discovered that a few web pages around the world had linked to my page to illustrate that there already was a Buzz Bunny when Warner introduced their Loonatics. I actually hadn't heard of the Loonatics until those pages started linking to my Buzz Bunny at Figurefarm.com."

Figure Farm is a development company specializing in the creation of characters that can be used to brand or advertise companies, products, services or campaigns, the company’s website explains (http://www.figurefarm.com/character_design.htm).

Seven's Buzz Bunny design was one of the first he created for Figure Farm. According to Buzz’s backstory (http://www.figurefarm.com/character_design_buzz_bunny.htm), he was once a regular rabbit who bit into a power cable, became an "intelligent electric superbunny" and embarked on a career as "a somewhat uncertain interplanetary superhero."
"
>>Link<< (http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=1881)
-R

agreenster
02-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Warner Brothers has NO IDEA what to do with their IP. They could make amazing stuff if they would put their minds to it.

Space Jam? Looney Tunes Back in Action? Now this?

Poor poor Chuck Jones...

FloydBishop
02-23-2005, 11:35 PM
While "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" was not a stellar film, it was the first step forward for a studio that's been running backwards for a long time.

At least that film had decent animation, and the characters acting, rather BEING, themselves. Lose Brendon Frasier and the girl, keep everything animated, and it would have been an awesome film.

This latest thing set them back farther than they've been.

Sevensheaven
03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Heya guys,

This Buzz Bunny issue is getting more and more interesting ... :D

Check:

Ain't It Cool News (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19604)

Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_comments.php?journalid=28061&entryid=165773)

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonatics)

Toonzone (http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=1881)

Animated News (http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003127.html)

Cheers,

Metin

Yfkar
03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't know, I think that it is good to watch a bland, mind numbing, puke stimulating, peace of crap, once in a while. Just to treasure the good stuff.

Too bad that there's a lot of "bland, mind-numbing, puke stimulating, pieces of crap" and little good stuff nowadays. Just wannabe-cool-anime with their annoying eyes ^^

RobW720
03-15-2005, 01:30 AM
dont know if this has been posted anywhere, but i was fartin around on newgrouns and they had this happy little flash animation starin' the new bunny.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/223809

its funny, i loved it. though bleeped out, the language is a bit harsh. :-D

pgp_protector
03-15-2005, 01:57 AM
dont know if this has been posted anywhere, but i was fartin around on newgrouns and they had this happy little flash animation starin' the new bunny.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/223809

its funny, i loved it. though bleeped out, the language is a bit harsh. :-D

Ok, maby my funnybone is broken, but what funny about this ?

DorkmanScott
03-15-2005, 02:23 AM
There you have it, a marketing-driven show. :cry:

How I long for the purer, story-driven days of He-Man, Dino Riders, Transformers and Thundercats, before cartoons were designed expressly to sell toys to kids. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I can appreciate the outrage over this abomination to the idea of artistic integrity, but how many people worldwide watch Kids' WB? Like, 12? I'm not talking about age there, I'm talking number of viewers. This outrage is only spreading free publicity, and it's going to get people watching it to see how much of a travesty it is. Then the show will have high ratings, and encourage them to do more of this kind of thing.

If you're hoping it will fade quickly and silently into obscurity, you should probably stop spotlighting it with your attention.

M. Scott

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 02:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.