PDA

View Full Version : WIP, but I don't know how to go further

x_wolf19
02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
welp heres my first real attempt at learning how to paint, and use painter...... here first is the REALLY rough rough.....

http://www.nickpeterson.net/other/sketch_test.jpg

and the somewhat finished

http://www.nickpeterson.net/other/sketch1.jpg

now I'm just trying to figure out how to go further......im stuck, maybe a guru can point me in th right direction to add a bit more detail? I kinda like the whole painted, not finished look, but at the same time, I want more.....

thanks

Xillion
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
I usually am stuck with the same problem. I guess good guidelines would be:

Create the 'illusion' detail forcing some contrast.you can use the "dark against light " paradigm to separate planes even more.
Bring some warm and stronger colours in the immediate foreground. The near buildings should be more detailed of the far ones. But, if you want the center of the interest being the central building then reverse this concept (buildings on the corner should be left out of focus while the central one needs to be more detailed)
Use cold / less saturated colours for shadows of distant buildings (try violet or pale blue)
Add some splash of light or interesting objects, blood, bushes, leaves.
You can insert something to give the viewer a clue on the 'dimensions' of buildings.The most effective thing is a human being (you just need a stick :) )
Give an overall sense to your concept and underline it. Dows this show loneliness ? distance, age?
This is only theory I know, but I hope this is helpful...just in case you did not think of it.
Regards, E.

Ognus
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Put details in the foreground. Add another element, perhaps a person on a camel or some kind of traveling doohickey going towards the city. You need to really give detail to the foreground.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.