PDA

View Full Version : Bryce 5.5 - new features announced

Caine777
02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok, so a lot of you see Bryce as a toy and not a proper 3d-program, but since there are (a few) people here who use Bryce (Rochr being the most prolific), I thought this might be of interest:

The new version Bryce 5.5 has been long awaited by its fans and is now close to being released. DAZ has not yet announced the exact launch date, but has already revealed some new features:

Improved render speeds
Optimised Network Rendering
Improved OpenGL Support
Character editing in Bryce thanks to integration with DAZ|Studio.http://www.eovia.com/resources/newsletters/newsletter-02-05-UK.htm#02
Ok, so it's not a whole lot yet, but considering how much better Bryce 5 was compared to Bryce 4, I have high hopes, especially considering render speeds. I do hope they have added HDRI support as well, as that is on of the most important things that Bryce needs to be able to produce professional results. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the "character editing" really is. Could it perhaps mean that Bryce will finally get a bones-system, so you can animate properly?

Anyway, it's good to see that Bryce is still alive.

ninus3d
02-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Hehe, its true many see bryce as nothing but a little toy, but it was the 2nd version of the application that got me into 3d today and im thankfull for it!
We all have to start somewhere you know :)

So, just like you, im glad bryce is still alive and kickin more and more fans into the 3d scene :)

Caine777
02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Hehe, its true many see bryce as nothing but a little toy, but it was the 2nd version of the application that got me into 3d today and im thankfull for it!
We all have to start somewhere you know :)

So, just like you, im glad bryce is still alive and kickin more and more fans into the 3d scene :)

Bryce 2 was what brought me into the 3d world as well! :) Well, not really, I used Real3d 1.2 and Imagine back in 90-92 on my Amiga, but it was too weak to make anything that looked good, but Bryce 2 was my first "serious" try at 3d, and I was hooked.

kiaran
02-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Since we're all on a nostalgia trip...

I started on Rhino 3d, then 3ds Max, now Maya. What will the next one be? hmm...

Somewhere in there I too got hooked on Bryce. It's such a fun program for beginners. You can learn the basics of 3d (camera manipulation, cartesian coordinates, rendering etc..) while making some really cool looking scenery.

Morten_Jensen
02-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey, Im not ashamed to tell that I started out sniffing the 3D scene by trying out Bryce and Poser. Later on I got to Carrara and Max. Now Im a pro working the scene and my main app. is Maya. But thanks to Bryce for making my eyes open for this amazing world ;)

Morten

Dutchman
02-18-2005, 09:30 PM
But thanks to Bryce for making my eyes open for this amazing world ;)

Same to me! I started with 3D Movie Maker (Microsoft Kids :applause: ) at around the age of 8, then I 'switched' to Bryce at the age of 14 or so... :) And thén I came in to that awesome world of real 3D! :bounce: [I'm now working in 3Ds Max :) ]
And right now I'm teaching it to my 11-year-old little sister. :rolleyes: :twisted:

Cool to read here that I was not the only one who used it as 'the key to the 3D world' :)

And about the new features; they really sound veeeery cool! As you said, Caine777, it would be cool to have finally a kind of bone system in Bryce :)

Greetz & have fun with Bryce and all 'key-to-3D-world-apps' ;) ,
Gijs

nulll-void
02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Another Bryce fan here. Also my first 3D app and i still use it, tho i spend most of my time with 3Ds max 6.

Im hoping for a 3ds export ability in the new version of Bryce...playing around with metaballs in Bryce is faster and more fun than in Max...

-Vormav-
02-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I never saw Bryce as being entirely without any usefulness. I always loved its terrain creation tools. It was much faster, and more convenient, than flipping back and forth between Photoshop and Max to tweak a displacement map.
It had a lot of other useful tools at the time, if you were creative enough with Bryce's toolset.

t-man152
02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
Since we're all on a nostalgia trip...

I started on Rhino 3d, then 3ds Max, now Maya. What will the next one be? hmm...

XSI? Lightwave?

oooooooohhhhh I cant take the suspense switch now

Sequent
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I started out on Bryce as well - also Bryce 2. I still fire up Bryce once in a while just for fun. One of the things that I used to like playing with was the proceedural textures.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.