PDA

View Full Version : RAM or video card?

Wycoff3d
02-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Ok I think Im finally going to get AE 6.5 but what version?:shrug: I have a Mac that has a better video card than the PC that I have. But the PC is faster. So should I get AE for the PC with the faster CPU or the Mac because it has a better video card? Whats better for AE video or CPU?

ald1225
02-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok I think Im finally going to get AE 6.5 but what version?:shrug: I have a Mac that has a better video card than the PC that I have. But the PC is faster. So should I get AE for the PC with the faster CPU or the Mac because it has a better video card? Whats better for AE video or CPU?

I say memory and fast CPU, because AE is much CPU/RAM intensive than video card intensive. Try to get at least 512mb RAM in there

AAAron
02-20-2005, 11:24 PM
But you could always download the tryout versions from adobe and try it on both of your computers. :)

rosem
02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I would go for the RAM, AE feeds off of it.

I think the processor would be next in importance even before the video card.

diegolm
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
I agreed with you.. Lots of RAM first, 1GB min. I donīt know what CPU do you have, but Hard Disk is also VERY important. VGA is the least important, any decent VGA will work fine.

If you will make complex compositions with a lot of effects in each layer, then RAM and CPU are the most important.

If you will make compositions with a lot of video and/or animation layers, then RAM and Fast HD are the most important.

I work with a 1GB system, but I have to upgrade to 2GB.

scrimski
02-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Buy more RAM. I'm not sure about it, but until version 5.5 (maybe 4) AE didn't even supported dual rpocessing boards, or if, in a very poor way. I had a few benchmark test matchings of different compositing applications, and for the dual CPU test there was a minimal difference between single dual CPU-boards.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.