PDA

View Full Version : skin weighting problems after blendshapes

MJO120881
02-17-2005, 10:49 PM
So for some odd reason I'm unable to paint skin weights on my character's joints after I have applied a blendshape to the mesh. Could this be a deformation order problem? I can still move my character around with the controls I made for him and the blendshapes work, I just can't adjust the skin weighting anymore.

The script editor is giving me this error message when I try to select a joint to paint weights for it:
select -r polySurface92 ; setSmoothSkinInfluence L_shoulder|L_elbow;
// Warning: Item not found: L_elbow //
// Error: Value is out of range: 0 //

Though the joints are still bound to the skin and deforming the mesh. Anyone have any ideas? All help is welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

boogiboy
02-18-2005, 02:44 PM
this is not a problem. Just select your mesh go to attribute editor, click on desired mesh shape, and after click on select button. When you select your shape begin editing your weight like before.

MJO120881
02-20-2005, 12:47 AM
boogiboy,

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure exactly what you're
talking about. I checked the attribute editor and couldn't
find a way to still be able to paint weights. There was no
way I could select my mesh shape and then start to paint weights
again. I still get the error that each joint is at the value of
zero and cannot be modified.

So I went back and looked at my previous files to
see where I went wrong and I think I know where I
messed up. Before, I had duplicated all the faces
of the skinned model cuz I thought that was how I
could get the duplicate to start sculpting blendshapes
on. When I duplicated the faces there were two inputs that
were attached to the original skinned character called
"polySeparate4" and "polyChipOff4". I guess these
have to do with the separated faces I pulled off the
skinned model when I duplicated all its faces, but I
don't know how to get around this other than to go
back to the file where I hadn't duplicated any faces
and start over. Unless there's a way to block the
effect of these inputs or change the deformation
order around, I don't know what to do.

Andrei2k
02-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Im not sure I fully understand your workflow but what you are saying is when you select your mesh and try to paint weights on it after it has a blend shape in its history it will not allow you to paint? is this on any joint? does it even turn black/white to show you its int "paint weights mode"?

MJO120881
02-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Andrei2k,

Well I think it has something to do with the duplicate faces history I have on my skinned model after I tried duplicating all the faces to get a copy of the original model to start sculpting blendshapes. I tried duplicating faces of the arm as well to do a bicep blend, and after that the skinned model had these inputs added to it: "polySeparate4" and "polyChipOff4", 4 denoting how many times I tried to duplicate faces. When I try to go into paint weights mode, the mesh doesn't even turn black and white to show paint weight values and if I try to select a joint to paint weights on I get this error message: "Error: Value is out of range: 0". As if the joints aren't even affecting the mesh, even thought they still do. When I go back to my skinned mesh that didn't have any duplicated faces the blendshapes work fine, and I can still paint weights and adjust their values, but I did a lot of painting on the newer skinned version and I'd like to keep that if I can.

I've tried messing around with the input connections in the hypergraph, but nothing I do there seems to work. This is really stumping me...

kevinstiles
02-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Sounds like you have a really bad problem. I can't really tell you how to fix it other than by telling you to make sure you are selecting your character's skin and it isn't referenced or anything. I can give you good advice on how to keep this from happening to you in the future. Don't ever use smooth binding. Only use rigid binding. I know every body says rigid binding is bad and unrealistic, but I have done a lot of rigid binding, and a fair amount of smooth binding, and in my experience rigid binding is, without question, the way to go. I also know that people say that rigid binding is only on or off. Not so, you can adjust a joints influence on a point in the conection editor. I can rigid bind a character in about 1/3 the time it takes me to smooth bind a character, and with much less frusteration.

dreamsdestiny
03-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Change the Blend shape order in Inputs

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 08:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.