PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Weapon to Character

Teriander
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey!
I have a character (soldier) and ita already setup (binded to bones). I want to add a weapon to him so I modeled the weapon, placed it by his hand, selected the weapon then the character skin, and pressed P for parent. But when I move the bones the weapon doesn't follow the skin (hand). What am I doing wrong to make the weapon interact with the hand?

ietra
02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
You need to constrain the weapon to a specific part of the character -- the skin is just a collection of vertices that individually do their own thing, the skin node itself doesn't move.

I'd suggest first grouping your weapon to itself, to create a node above it, let's say called "Weapon_GRP". Then select the joint of the body part you want it to follow -- if it's the hand, probably the wrist or palm joint depending on your setup. CTRL-select "Weapon_GRP" and do a parent constraint. This will make the weapon follow the movements of the hand.

The extra node is for if you need to do multiple constraints -- like if it's a sword, and he needs to sheath it, you could add an additional constraint to the hip and animate between them for when he draws the sword out.

Teriander
02-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback! But I tried something different and it works, I selected the weapon, then the BONES (the hand area) and hit P to parent the weapon to the bones, now it works!

But thanks for the feedback!

ietra
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
No problem. That works fine too. :)

'Course, if you want to trade the weapon off from one hand to another... or stow it on his back... or balance it on his knee for some reason... you can try it the other way.

XanderFX
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Check out this video
http://www.gnomononline.com/tutorial.php?category_id=7

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.