PDA

View Full Version : selecting surfaces with the same name

hobbit72
09-15-2002, 10:42 PM
I remember a function in version 5 modeler that allowed you to select one polygon and it would select all other polygons with the same surface name.

was this removed in version 7 or is it hidden somewhere else?

Lizard Head
09-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Press the "w" key to call up the Stats Dialog, in polygon edit mode you will see the Polygon Stats Dialog. Towards the bottom there is a "Surfaces" entry, clicking on that will allow you to select all polys with any given Surface Name applied to it. Same can be done with Part names applied and Wireframe Colors.
Quite useful!!!

Cman
09-15-2002, 11:35 PM
There's also a few LScripts to automate that for you. Just check Flay.com

proton
09-16-2002, 12:04 AM
The "w" key is my secomd favorite key to use in LW....It's so useful and allows you to select things much faster....

hobbit72
09-16-2002, 12:09 AM
thanks. thats the elusive little bugger I was looking for :)

I wonder why I cant find it on the menu's? Must be getting old, or maybe it just isnt there :D

proton
09-16-2002, 12:16 AM
Modeler/Windows/Statistics open/close

or "w" is easier :)

mbaldwin
09-16-2002, 03:33 AM
for some reason, the select by surface option is greyed out in the polygon statistics menu. I've seen this throw people off before, cause virtually every gui I know treats greyed-out items as non-selectable. Not in this case, for some odd freaky reason only known to Newtek.

If you click the greyed field 'surfaces', you'll get a selectable list.

Which is a good example of why I wish Newtek would annoint someone "usability czar" for the interface. bring some of the same great energy to GUI issues that William Vaughn has brought to community issues. There seems to be a whole cargo load of interface inconsistencies and missed opportunities. Each one seems a trifle: the sum of all has a real slow down effect on using lightwave.

example(s):
--why when using surface gradients doesn't the initial gradient bar offer the user both a start value and an end value? set one at 100% and one at 0%? Better yet, have that be a user-definable preference that, once set, shows up whenever you're in the surface menu? Also the gradient values don't always transfer cleanly between different parts of layout that use them. An example would be using gradients in the texture displacement field. if you copy these values to a standard surface gradient the values get busted, and you have to manually re-enter them.

as long as we are talking surfaces, let's look at the info(i key) pallet.
1st, most of lightwave's modeler treats a layer with nothing sellected as everything selected. hitting the i key with nothing selected gives you a warning message instead of bringing up the information pallet. once you're in the information pallet, you have a short-cut for assigning new surfaces. But its a type entry field, instead of a pull-down menu of all your already-defined surfaces. If you know the exact wording of how you named surfaces you can type it in, but this leaves too much of a chance for error, and defeats the whole purpose of a short-cut in the first place.

I'll stop for now, but I wish someone at Newtek would build a master list of all these little quirks--I've seen them floating around the boards for years, but they never seem to get tackled. And while I may be extremely off-base, they don't APPEAR to take a lot of programming hours to fix.

But fix, Newtek, Please Fix!

thanks!

-m.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.