PDA

View Full Version : problems with hair

inaktive
02-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey,

We are looking to make a character somewhat similiar to Christopher Loyd from Back to the future. It is basically a scientist we are using as the main character for our short.

we have the head almost done, modeling wise (not textured though)
but we aren't sure how we should approach modeling the hair. The only ways we could think of was to actually model out chunky poly hair, using an alpha mapped set of planes layered over each other, or trying to use fur.

the problem is, that these methods either do not look convinceing or they take up to 10 mins to render a single frame (which is not reasonable).

We are open to any suggestions as we have exhusted most of our brain power trying to find tuts, or any other methods.

Thanks,
Brian

Jackdeth
02-16-2005, 09:09 PM
If you are complaining about 10 minutes a frame, then I don't think there is anything we can do to help you. Remember that old saying, you get what you pay for. Fast rendering and quality rendereing are two very different things.

littlepixel
02-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Obviously this would need some more work, but we're talking on the level of three frames a minute.. submitted for your perusal:

http://www.artsy.ca/lloyd.jpg

Obviously this will require some refinement., but I've seen many people get very good results using paintFX.. it all depends on how well the final product can be composited. Paintfx always looks a little bit cartoonish.. you'll never guess what brush I used .. go on.. try! Video to follow.. just rendering.. presently it's 6:12 and I've got 35 frames, I'll let you know how long it took to get to 100.

OK... 65 frames in half an hour.. thats with another copy of maya running apart from the renderer. It's worth trying in mental ray as well.

http://www.artsy.ca/lloyd00.mov

I hope I haven't missed the mark here.. but basically in terms of ease of use and render time and so forth, it's worth taking the time to try tweaking maya hair... anyway, can you guess which brush I used? I suspect you'd want to try to make yours more clumpy, but I'd love to see the actualy model.. is it in any way cartoonish?

-Alex

littlepixel
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
(Random thought: Start by attaching follicles to the spots where you know you want hair. Then it will deform to the surface and always stay normal, so it's like a pretty nice little rig at the same time. OOOO follicles, how lovely.)

but I guess you would have to settle on a hairstyle of some sort in the final decision.. but basically it just has to look right, but of course it's dependent very much on many factors., so go ahead and just delete all 'faces' lol.. of the face and preserve just the scalp. then apply a sort of uniform mapping of hair: to do: (is there a way to map density? must be.

texturing each hair is possible, individually by querying the uv coordinates and cross-correlating with a texture. IT can be independent of the scalp.

as well, they can all have a value of stiffness. I have begun to wonder if each hair can have its own density ramp. I do believe some of my terminology must be mine alone, I apologize if my dialect is a bit undertermined.

-Alex

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.