PDA

View Full Version : Q: Alpha channel

slayerment
02-16-2005, 08:04 PM
I have an object that I am rendering on a plane w/ FG to get a shadow underneath it. What I want to do is also get an alpha channel of this that only has the object and shadow - I don't want the plane. I can do ambient occlusion and then multiply the layer on top of another and that works great, but I need to export this as a transparent PNG for Flash and am not sure how I could achieve this. Any ideas? Thanks!

dudders
02-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Have you tried the background shader (i think that's what it is called), at the bottom of the list where lambert and phong are?

Applying that to the plane will make the plane the same colour as the background and you will only see shadows and reflection.

Also it doesnt render the plane as part of the scene so wont appear in the alpha channel.

BillSpradlin
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Gremlins are evil.

dudders
02-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Lol!

If youre talking about my avatar, I think its just a cat with a silly face, so fear not!

BillSpradlin
02-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Yes I was referring to that. It just gave me a flash back to the 80's and feeding the cute little furballs after midnight.

That is the ugliest cat I've ever seen in my entire life though.

slayerment
02-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies! Tried the background and that didn't work. I was thinking maybe I could mess with the settings on the surface shader but I can't seem to figure anything out with that either. Any more ideas?

BillSpradlin
02-17-2005, 01:11 AM
As you have noticed the useBacground shader does not respect final gather shadows. This is fixed in Maya 6.5 so your options are to upgrade to 6.5 or....use the solution in this thread for your problem:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=118924

Enjoy.

slayerment
02-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Perfect, appreciate the help :).

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.