PDA

View Full Version : (aer)ial.rem - video (motion graphics)

rairai
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
i've been working on this video, my first video piece. the editing is intentionally glitchy. it's still a slight WIP that needs some finer and more widespread typographic layering (much like the old Anamorph video we love, heh), but please enjoy it as it is now:

(aer)ial.rem
http://www.defasten.com/_img/aerialrem/

about 3 mins.

rairai
02-17-2005, 07:05 PM
is the video that bad? heh

i know this is probabably the most unlikely forum to post video work such as this, so i was curious to know what would a 3d cgi artist would think about it, get a different perspective. if you hate it/love it/don't understand it, please says so and support it with a why. i'll be glad to give details on the approach, if anyone is interested.

thanks! :)

Geddart
02-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Weeeell, hm. Yeah...

Hmhm. :)
Let's start with the negative.
A long time of the Clip i wanted to know what is coming. There is Tension. And then nothing really is happening. That kind of depressed me. No "Aha", no Content, no Message. At least not for me. (Please note that i did not understand Everything. My english is not the best and the Voice Effect made it hard for me in some Passages.)
What i like about it is that it has a thick atmosphere and as i said also some Tension. It reminded me a bit of "The Ring". Some nice Cut's in here too.

PS1: Note that it took me almost 45minutes to dl your Movie. And i'm on DSL (seems the connection of the server is slow. It might be a Reason why people don't give answers.
PS2: Oh and btw i did experience too that you not get answers imidiately in this Part of the Forum. Most people watch and don't comment. So don't be to sad. :)

rairai
02-18-2005, 12:45 AM
well, it's definitely not a "feel good" piece, as it veers towards a rather murky atmosphere, and that was clearly intentional, as noted in the choice of audio track.

the vocals are intentional "blurred" out. initially i had written a script which was relatively like a train of thought, and i was going to include the vocal as-is. but then again, i didn't want the audio to be the emphasis of the video piece, so then, i decided to cut up my voice and re-position the different phoenemes around to eliminate any kind of meaning. granted, there are at times moments when the audio is very audible, and intentionally so. but in sum, the audio was treated as a sonic texture, than a coherent narrative.

the tension was also intentional, so i'm glad you found it to be as such. the main theme, and loose theme might i add, is that the video is centered around insomnia and digital information, the relationship between the two, and its effervescence. so the video doesn't intend to resolved any problems as you said you expected (the "punch line" if you will) - rather, it's more of a commentary.

i hope that clarifies things alittle. also, i had no clue the video took so long to download, because most other people saw it pronto, so thanks for telling me so.

and thanks again for the input!

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.