PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard port problem

spudk
02-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi Everybody,

I am having a problem with the keyboard port on my computer. I am running W2K and the keyboard itself is only a few months old. The computer will boot fine with no error message about the keyboard but the keyboard does not work. The mouse works, so I tried swapping the mouse and keyboard connections but I can't get anything from the keyboard. It is like it isn't connected. I also tried swapping out the keyboard for my old one and it didn't work any better. It's like the computer doesn't get any input from the keyboard.

Could this be a virus or is it a motherboard problem? I can try upgrading the firmware on the motherboard I guess. The system is a MSI K7T266 amd athlon 1800 XP. I don't really want to upgrade the system unless I can do it very cheaply. But iif I do have to get a new motherboard does anyone have any suggestions?

The video card I have is on it's last legs. The fan quit working on it a while back. It is a geforce 3 ti200 and the system has 768mg of ram. But right now I just want to get the keyboard working again. I was thinking about upgrading the system this summer to a nforce4 but that will have depend on my job status.

Thanks for looking, everyone.

Rabid pitbull
02-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Does the keyboard light up at all when coming on? I do not think the mouse and keyboard ports are interchangable either, even though they look the same. I do not think that a virus could do this, but then again anything is possible. Try navigating with the mouse the control panel and check to see if the keyboard port is listed in the hardware manager. Maybe try getting a usb keyboard if the ps2 port is fried.

EricPoehlsen
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
if it is broken the cheapest solution might be getting an usb keyboard

lots
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Does the keyboard work in bios?

Keyboard and mouse ports are not exactly interchangeable. Generally you want your keyboard to be plugged into the "bottom" plug. That is the plug that is on the bottom when the motherboard is laying on the ground flat. I've seen instances where machines dont even boot if the keyboard is plugged into the other plug :P

If another keyboard has the same issues, then it may be something wrong with the port. Check for dust in the system and try and clean it out. I find dust can cause all sorts of strange problems.

Flashing the bios may be a bit difficult if the keyboard doesnt work ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.