PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Character C&C needed

BakerCo
02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone this i my first attempt at a character and I am not too happy with it I have issues with the topology mainly around the shoulders and neck as well as the groin and butt. Any and all tips would be more than welcome of course. So give it a look and any crit, tips or help would be appreciated.

*Image removed*

Thanx

Lost....

New guy below!!

RampanT
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I'd say the topology is generally very good, and overall, its a very solid model so far. I'd maybe move the arms down slightly, cos i think that modelling in the T-pose can create its own problems. Maybe move his arms down 45 degrees to a mid-pose, and adjust the shoulder structure from there. I'd probably also cut down on a couple of loops at the elbow area, where there is some wastage. But generally, a good job i'd say.

deathburger_13
02-17-2005, 12:32 AM
its good excpt for the sholders
look at this site (helped me out wen i was gettin the sholders

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/shoulder_deform.jpg

kaisasose
02-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Its a good start but yeah you could do without as many loops in the elbows depending on how animatable you intend the model to be. Keep up the good work. :)

Konstruct
02-19-2005, 09:12 PM
looks good-

the shins need tweaking. I dont know anyone that has legs that curve like that-
I`d say maybe just move his feet back and youed be good http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif also his upper back is a little saggy, - might wanna push that up a bit.

also- i sense that the head was done from a wiro tutorial? am i wrong?

BakerCo
02-20-2005, 12:17 AM
@RampanT

thanx I will heed your advice about the arms. As far as the elbow goes I really have no idea how to go about that so I will take another look.
Thanx again.

@deathburger_13

thanx, yea the shoulders and pack area are a real bear thanx for the tip I have been refering to the pic with less than good luck hopefully it will click in my head shortly. thanx for the help

@Kaisasose

thanx, I am gonna give the arms some more attention shortly especially the elbow. and as far as animation goes it will be used to practice most if not all anims for future characters so that is going to be an important issues. thanx again

@Konstruct

yea i agree after I posted I looked and thought the same thing so those have been addressed. As far as the head goes ........... of course is there anything else ;) hehehe.

not that I don't like this method (I just want to expand my knowledge) but do you have another method you use?

thank you all for the help

Lost...

Neil
02-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Pretty clean, the arms look very skinny and short in terms of proportions.

BakerCo
02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
@neil
thanx and as for the arms I thought so too but its because they are bent slightly.

thanx again.

Lost...

Love&Guns
06-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I think his groin is awfully...exemplified? ^_~

qrt
06-25-2005, 09:02 PM
. for now model is ok, but finish it, then we talk,.

AdamAtomic
06-26-2005, 02:19 AM
your geometry looks a little bit too dense around the neck and collarbone, if you can simplify that I think it will help a lot. It is pretty solid otherwise, i like the volume of the pants!

BakerCo
06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I thank you all for the help thus far I agree with everything said and will be making the changes when I feel I am to the level that I should be to attempt character modeling again.
Just a quick question for you all what advice can you give me or anyone wishing to improve their skills at character modeling. It seems like anybody could model an object that has a machined or manufatcured look, but modeling anything that is of or from nature is rather hard to get right.

thanx again

Lost...

Teratron
06-26-2005, 11:42 PM
stop now? The best advice I can give to anyone (not that I should be giving advice) is to not stop. You won’t learn until you push it to get to the next level. You have a great start here that sows allot of promise; you just need to make a few topology changes. Look at the meshes of professional models and work, think to yourself how can I get there? Experiment with the tools and make sure you play with all of them, mind your references and you will get there.

Determination trumps all.

BTW IMHO modeling mechanical objects well requires more skill than Organic, unless your talking about lowpoy game stuffe (whitch we are so Ill just shut up);)

BakerCo
06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
@Teratron, Well ok then I am taking your advice and since I lost the previous character file I started over on a new guy based off of a concept from a guy which I can't remember. As soon as I find who it was I will post their name to give them credit, until then I apologize.

This is the rough out of the guy it took about 2.5 hours to get me to here. :\

ok so here are three shots of the guy please point out things that could make my modeling better.

http://img20.echo.cx/img20/7141/wip452la.jpg

http://img207.echo.cx/img207/1021/wip45b6xh.jpg

http://img207.echo.cx/img207/8886/wipf1hr.jpg

BakerCo
06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
OK, here is another update, I hate the hands and probably will redo them so if you would throw out any tips or tricks you may have for modeling hands, or hell anything related to modeling it would be nice :D.

tell me what you think is good or bad.

thanx
Lost...

and by the way I have yet to find out whose concept it is so bear with me.
Sorry!

AdamAtomic
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
get rid of the lateral grid lines across the back of the hands, those are useless. also, this character apparently has no crotch or hip bones! that should be remedied :)

Teratron
06-29-2005, 06:17 AM
To get rid of edges I usualy use the loop tool, then in your right clik quad menue, hit convert to vertex, then Go back to edge mode hit remove, then the same in vertex. Just try to find places like the hands that have edges that arnt helping to define the shape.

Those hands look like they would work if you removed a few loops, This is how I would do it (probly not the best way but should aimate about the same and will save you a few polys.

Red = Remove

Blue = Add

Green = Weld

If you want higer detail the welds wont be necesary, but based on the density of the rest of your model you wont need those polys,

Btw turn on edge constraint to keep the shape of your model while you move stuff around.

hope you can read my bad spelling, and also that this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2005, 06:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.