PDA

View Full Version : Questions about new machine

KaMe
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi

I'm planning on buying a new machine, and i have some questions.
First, system specs:

Athlon64 3500+
Asus a8v Deluxe
GF 6600GT
HD WD SATA 200GB
NEC DVDRW
1/2GB RAM PC3200

Now, to the questions:

1) I read here that A64 has a problem dealing with 4x512Mb. Does this apply to the 3500+?
I'm afraid of going 2x512Mb and not being able to upgrade to 2GB in the future.

2) I'm not a hardcore gamer, the only game I play (Homeworld2) runs perfectly in my current gf2 mx400 64Mb. So, for 3d, would I see too much of a difference between the FX5700 vs. 6600GT? Or, do you recommend another card? (not too expensive)

3) Still on vga, who is more recommended? XFX, eVGA, Asus?

4) I'm gonna go with Zalman CNPS7700 for cooling. It seems kinda big, I'm afraid that it won't fit. From where I see, this depends on the Case I'm gonna get. Right?

5) About the HD. Are WD drives too loud?

6) Is a 480W PSU enough?

I'm a first time builder, so, be nice :]

Thanks!

lots
02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
1) I read here that A64 has a problem dealing with 4x512Mb. Does this apply to the 3500+?
I'm afraid of going 2x512Mb and not being able to upgrade to 2GB in the future.

2) I'm not a hardcore gamer, the only game I play (Homeworld2) runs perfectly in my current gf2 mx400 64Mb. So, for 3d, would I see too much of a difference between the FX5700 vs. 6600GT? Or, do you recommend another card? (not too expensive)

3) Still on vga, who is more recommended? XFX, eVGA, Asus?

4) I'm gonna go with Zalman CNPS7700 for cooling. It seems kinda big, I'm afraid that it won't fit. From where I see, this depends on the Case I'm gonna get. Right?

5) About the HD. Are WD drives too loud?

6) Is a 480W PSU enough?

1) Never heard of this problem
2) The 6600GT would definately make the game run better. As for other applications, are you a 3D modeller? If so, the new card would also come in handy...
3) I tend to favor MSI and Asus. Though, asus is usually more expencive than anything else, the MSI cards are fairly well priced with the rest. I know for a fact the MSI 6600GT PCIe comes with a pile of software and at about 5 dollars more than XFX or someone similar. ($187 on newegg last i checked)
4) This has to do more with the motherboard. Some motherboards may have too much clutter around the socket. You should visit the motherboard maker's site and see if they have a list of compatable coolers. However, if you are not over clocking the system, the stock cooler that ships with the Athlon64 3500+ will do just fine (especially if you get the 90nm version)
5) I've never had a problem with noise from any HD. Though I'd recommend Seagate as they have a 5 year warranty, just in case ;)
6) A PSU's rated wattage is a bad way of determining if it is "enough." There's more to it than this. A good quality 350 watt PSU or 400 watt PSU will do the trick nicely. Many of the PSU's rated at 480 watts and not from a quality maker will generally not even live up to thier rating, and often times give you problems down the road (which can be dangerous to the system)

MadMax
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Personally I think you would be nuts to get that Asus board.

why be stuck with a VIA chipset when you could get a board with the nForce4 chipset which is leaps and bounds better???

KaMe
02-16-2005, 08:04 PM
lots: Thanks!

MadMax: I think I'll probably go with the MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM nForce4 Ultra. Better?

This Neo4 mobo has a 24pin connector for the PSU. Will I be just fine getting a 20pin PSU plus a 20to24pin adapter? Any recommendations for doing this?

Thanks

MadMax
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
lots: Thanks!

MadMax: I think I'll probably go with the MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM nForce4 Ultra. Better?

This Neo4 mobo has a 24pin connector for the PSU. Will I be just fine getting a 20pin PSU plus a 20to24pin adapter? Any recommendations for doing this?

Thanks

Much better.

Not a fan of MSI due to past QC problems (really bad ones) but a much better choice.

Personally depending on what you are going to use it for of course, I would be more inclined to suggest the Asus A8N nForce4 board.

However I have seen a number of people that are quite pleased with the MSI board.

try Antec truepower series for the PS.

lots
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
I agree, the Asus for the motherboard would be probably one of the top choices, if it fits the budget. I would shoot for MSI if price was a problem simply because the only other alternative is Gigabyte (though, i think Chaintech has a board out now). And like MadMax dislikes MSI i dislike Gigabyte ;)

One thing you want to be sure of, is to have PCIe on the board as opposed to AGP, this will help reduce the cost of the video card and help give you upgrade options down the road (when it comes to video). Though, all nforce4 provide this :)

As for the PSU, you can infact just plug in the normal 20pin power connector directly to a 24pin motherboard. However, because PCIe can suck up more power than AGP can, this might not be a good solution in a few months due to power requirements of newer more power hungry hardware. I've not seen many 24pin atx2.0 PSU's out yet.

KaMe
02-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I do prefer Asus myself, so, I have now decided for the Asus A8N Deluxe (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-517&depa=1). I'm in a adjustable budget :)
This board has 2 extra power connectors for the PCIe cards.
I won't be using SLI now, but, in the future, who knows. And, indeed, PCIe cards are cheaper.

About the PSU, THIS ONE (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-909&depa=0) looks good. Some people say its loud though at full fan speed.

For memory, I'm going with kingston:
2x512Mb HYPER X 2-3-2-6 - cheaper
2x512Mb ULTRA LL 2-2-2-5

Would I see too much of a difference with the Ultra LL version?

Thanks for the support

MadMax
02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
About the PSU, THIS ONE (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-909&depa=0) looks good. Some people say its loud though at full fan speed.

pffffttttttt...........

those are fine.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.