PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhicker's Guide Trailer

Raymonkey
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
On Amazon of all places:

HHGTTG trailer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/104-0344487-4416744)

(I'm going to reserve all judgement....but I still think the one headed Zaphod is odd....I realise he has another head underneath, but....meh)

[quick edit: here (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19282) is a review of an early test screening on Ain't It Cool. Doesn't sound as bad as I first thought. (This does contain SPOILERS!)]

mummey
02-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm gonna 'try' not to be a 'purist' on this one and reserve my judgement until I see it.

PS Yes I'm looking forward to this than SW3 ROTS.

Tocpe
02-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Haven't read the book (I know, I know, I'm sorry...here's my Geek license back ;) ) But from the looks of that trailer it looks like good fun. I think I might go see it when it opens.

mummey
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Haven't read the book (I know, I know, I'm sorry...here's my Geek license back ;) ) But from the looks of that trailer it looks like good fun. I think I might go see it when it opens.

It's ok. We're just putting you on Double Secret Probation. Whoops I wasn't supposed to say that...

Mysterious X
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
why do they just assume that all alien creatures speak english ?

Tocpe
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
It's ok. We're just putting you on Double Secret Probation. Whoops I wasn't supposed to say that...

Oh crap now I gotta sneak into Dean Wormer's office a figure out how to get a horse in there...

Raymonkey
02-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Because of the Babel fish.

All aliens actually speak their own particular language - the Babel fish (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/babelfish.shtml) facilitates translation :)

Srek
02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
What? You don't have a babel fish? ;)

Seems to be very different to the books and TV Series, but maybe this is the best way to make this a good film. I'll hold back any judgement until i had a chance to see it.
Cheers
Srek

mattmos
02-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Grinning innanely after that trailer :D
Thought it had exactly the right 'feel' to it, and the lead guy is great, perfect casting! Couldn't amazon afford to post a larger trailer though, the screen size is appalling...

JDex
02-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I liked it. Can't wait.

dmonk
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
I thought it looked really funny. Definitely gonna go see it.

Reepoman
02-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Looks GREAT!

Can't wait, it's going to ba a cracker!
English humor + sci-FI = gonna be a blast!

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
indeed, for me it doesnt resemble the book so much, but definatly looks like its gonna be a blast to watch. And im also alot lighter on crits of the changes since addams apparently had alot of say in the script :) so im happy

Man thanks for the trailer :D

alexyork
02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
looks marvellous! has a really nice Python feel to it. plus i love that actor - the one that played Tim in The Office.

Mooncalf
02-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm among those who haven't read the book, but I'm surrounded by people who have.

I've gotta say, just from the cast, I'm excited. I love seeing Mos Def on screen. And recently a bunch of friends and I have been sharing DVDs of "The Office," which, if you haven't seen, you should! "The Office" includes Martin Freeman, who plays Arthur Dent in the movie. If they're going for a regular Joe Bloke, who has to react to all kinds of super strange situations, they couldn't have picked a more perfect actor. Freeman's deadpan facial expressions are priceless!

This is gonna be good!

JoeBananas
02-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Its obviously a bit different from the books, but looks good and stupid! And Sam Rockwell is perfect for Zaphod! But I guess it is a bit wierd him having only one head.

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
he has 2, you didnt see the second one flip around?

CelticArtist
02-16-2005, 05:30 PM
woohoo i'll be there opening day! :) looks awesome, i actually like Marvin in this trailer even though he doesn't have any lines, he just looks depressed. Arthur looks perfect, Mos Def is growing on me, and Sam Rockwell is awesome, the way they do the other head is strange, but it's original, have to give'em that, and Adams wrote it that way for the script (or so i hear) I think it's weird that apparently the thumb is actually Ford's Thumb, and the guide looks too much like a book to me, But, otherwise it might just look like a nice PDA to today's crowd, so it's understandable. Why does he call her Tricia? Arthur never called her Tricia in the books, he kept with her chosen name of Trillian, only called her Tricia McMillan the first time he saw her. Yay, i'm excited now :) i've been looking forward to this since i first heard about it about a year ago. Read Salmon of Doubt if you haven't to get Adams impressions of LA and the film industry out here, they treated him like crap, so it's good to see a movie that looks worthwhile by him get made.

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
ya i was a bit thrown off by the tricia, at first i was like.. who the hell is tricia? then i was like ohhh trillian, but why did he call her tricia? (other than thats her earth name :p

ah well, whos the head on robotic legs? (if it has to do with the end of the story dont tell me, im 200 pages to finish)

darktding
02-16-2005, 06:30 PM
I was not too impressed by the trailer, but wth I will wait and see what the major views are about this film and then see it for myself....

mouj
02-16-2005, 07:30 PM
It does seem a little different from the books, but does seem nice too ! Can't wait : )

mouj

Steve Green
02-16-2005, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about it being different - the Radio series was different to the book(s) and the TV series was different again.

I just wish they would put out decent sized versions instead of this postage stamp that is on Amazon (the bootleg mov was bigger than the official one).

The destruction of Earth looks really epic, although it's hard to get away from thinking of the Vogon fleet as Borg cubes...

Not sure about the Heart of Gold though - I imagined something sleeker...

- Steve

DeathTrip
02-16-2005, 07:47 PM
:applause: I've never read the book but it looks great.

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
@steve

ya man, when i first red the book I thought the heart of gold was a sphere, then im reading it again and found out it is infact sleek shoe shaped design, so this is kind of odd..

nice either way though ;)

Lordiego01
02-16-2005, 08:33 PM
This looks fantastic!! I can't wait to see it, and after watching this I'm gonna run to the store and get the book!

Kinda reminded me of Men in Black. Maybe it has something to do with aliens and slap-stick humor.

JeroenDStout
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
It doesn't feel right to me... somehow it's not the Hitchhicker's style. And then I'm not talking about a one-headed Zaphod. I guess somehow I'm all used to the TV-series' actors and have a hard time accepting this new form.

kevinw
02-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Cause who wants to read a bunch of subtitles for half the movie?

I think this looks great! Comedy reminds me of Evolution and/or Men in Black. (Both of which I really like)

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
people that have not read the book, DONT comment on the english lol

anyways, parrot, which actors were in the series?

CelticArtist
02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
blasphemy! HHG2G is one of the orginal sources for Men in Black and Evolution (kind of a crap movie btw, but that's not important). But, if you haven't read the books, i'll forgive you, do yourself a favor and pick them up though, you can get a leatherbound edition of all 5 books together for 15 bucks at Barnes and Nobles.

huydoan.com
02-16-2005, 10:32 PM
this movie looks awesome. I don't mind the one-headed zaphrod because having a humanoid with two heads will dramatically increase the budget. Besides if he had two heads, most of you would complain that the second head doesn't look realistic enough :)

But then again if you read "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" you would know that the 2nd head is crucial to Zaphrod's personality and explains how he became President of the Galaxy.

btw how are the vogons broadcasting in English?

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 10:45 PM
ah true enough eh.. not everyone has a babel fish... interesting, never thought of that... hmm arthur didnt get the fish till he was in the ship did he..? hmm oh well enjoy it ^_^

JDex
02-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Well... Perhaps the Vogon's while en-route to Earth were recieving television transmissions and had Uhura come up with a translation ahead of time... after all she is a cunning-linguist.

:p

AnimBot
02-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Holy crap it's Mos Def.

TheAlienGus
02-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Everything looks perfect to me, especially Marvin and Dent, Zaphod kind of throws me off though . . . just seems wrong. Can not wait.

Swizzle
02-17-2005, 10:48 AM
"Oh, sh*t, yeah!"

I can't explain it, but that was my reaction about half-way through the trailer. I've been dreading this movie for some time now. I just couldn't stand the designs for Marvin, the Heart of Gold, and the Vogons, and I still don't like them. But on the whole, I think the rest of the movie will probably make up for those things and others. Yeah, baby!

As for the Vogons broadcasting in English, doesn't anybody remember anything?"People of Earth, your attention please," a voice said, and it was wonderful. Wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so low as to make a brave man weep.
"This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council," the voice continued. "As you are no doubt aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the galaxy require the building of a hyperspatial express through your star system, and regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less then one of your Earth minutes. Thank you."
The PA died away.And so it continues—in English.

playmesumch00ns
02-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Well... Perhaps the Vogon's while en-route to Earth were recieving television transmissions and had Uhura come up with a translation ahead of time... after all she is a cunning-linguist.

:p

hehe :)

some more characters

Jackmar
02-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I can't wait to see this movie:eek: I had no idea there were plans for a movie until now. The books were great and I do not think I will regret watching the movie!

erilaz
02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm comfortable with the minor alterations to the look and story because Adams wanted it that way.

I'm also happy that Marvin is being done by Alan Rickman!:D

Geta-Ve
02-17-2005, 11:30 PM
i dunno, while, yes rickman does have that whine whine whine type voice i think its too... how to say.. deep? I was thinking more along the lines of.... hmm dunno younger.. though im guessing they are gonna add some type of synthasizer in his voice... or whatever..

Dennik
02-18-2005, 01:31 AM

I guess because English people are Aliens??
Even Sting wrote a song (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/sting-&-police/132169.html) about them! :D

Geta-Ve
02-18-2005, 01:42 AM
something you guys might be interested in, go watch the trailer again, and pay attention to the part where zaphod is putting ice in the cups (yet still holding both cups)

DangerAhead
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I seem to be getting a page at Amazon. Anybody else?

ernest
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
yup, me too.

try this link:
http://images.amazon.com/media/imdb/01/ads/hhgttg42/AmazonFilms.swf

Supervlieg
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Hehe, nice. I prefer the double headed version. But pretty good overall

Mysterious X
02-18-2005, 11:23 PM
I guess because English people are Aliens??
Even Sting wrote a song (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/sting-&-police/132169.html) about them! :D

i was listening to the song while reading the posts !!!

and now i really got interested in reading the book..i wonder if they could be found in malaysia :shrug:

huydoan.com
02-18-2005, 11:34 PM
here's the fullscreen quicktime trailer

http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/HitchhikersGuide/HG2G_Trailer2_0197_3000.mov

you can actually see the ankle hair on that 100 foot woman. Gross....

Geta-Ve
02-18-2005, 11:36 PM
THANK YOU! :bounce:

sweet, so he does indeed have 3 hands and 2 heads watch the high res trailer, and watch carefully at the "what are we doing? THAT!" part his third arm is under the sash thing and his second head is indeed covered by the first (which is very peculiar, but should make for some funny gags :p

man i love the face slapping part man i seriously can not wait for this movie!

edit: and i know im being totally freaky, but if you pause right as the guide is opening, there is no friendly letters spelling DON'T PANIC on the front!:sad:

pgp_protector
02-19-2005, 01:16 AM
edit: and i know im being totally freaky, but if you pause right as the guide is opening, there is no friendly letters spelling DON'T PANIC on the front!:sad:

What !! no Don't Panic !!!

Arrrggghhh

Runs screaming into a wall.

EDIT:
Just finished watching the trailer.

I'll be adding this to my DVD collection

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.