PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with Eye shader settings

SilentRage
02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Can anyone help me with setting up shaders for a human eye?
What i'm trying to do right now is have the outter layer transparent,
using a sampler info node's facing ratio to make the outter layer less transparent and more reflective towards the glancing angles of the eye,

what i have problem with is actually doing it, any help with the process of setting that up or a link to a tutorial would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
after some more experimentations, i've found out a little more, but i'm not sure if I'm right, so it would be great if someone could confirm these findings.

i plugged facing ratio into transparency, and the result was the areas directly facing the camera are more transparent,

so if i wanted the reverse effect for reflectivity, i can just plug facing ratio into input 2 of a Multiply/Divide node, set input 1 as "1", and operation to divide, this way i get 1/facing ratio, which should make the areas directly facing the camera less reflective.

popol
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/eyeTut.html maybe that can help.....

dudders
02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
...or you could plug the facing ratio into a reverse node.

You may want to use a ramp to control the transparency (because you can choose U or V of the sphere, rather than facing ratio, and how much transparency with a black and white gradient).

Using facing ratio may not give you enough control over where and how the transparency will fall, especially if youre going to animate the eye.

SilentRage
02-17-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure as to how to plug the facing ratio into a U ramp and use that for the reflectivity and transparency as Andrew descriped, can someone help me a little with how to do this exactly? A screen shot of such a set up in maya would be really help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.