PDA

View Full Version : creagting a surrounding environment for reflection

pika
02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

I've been looking for tutorials to create textures and set up surrounding environment
for objects' reflection, but have not been able to find one yet. I put a photograph of
hills and on a NURBS plane around a car, but the reflection gets nasty looking like bad
composite with white contour line like seen in some old movies.
I appreciate if anybody could let me know if there are any good tutorials for setting
up an environment for reflections.

Thanks a million

TrysD
02-16-2005, 12:04 PM
If u want to get reflections from a photographed image u can do that using Environment Texture Node (EnvBall, EnvSphere for Reflected Color atribute of your material. Using these nodes u dont need to turn on raytracing. This helps to reduce rendering time.

try that www.learning-maya.com (http://www.learning-maya.com) - there's many good rendering tutorials.

pika
02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your respons TrysD,

The problem I have now is I could not figure out how to make the actual texture for the
environment. I checked the site you gave me, but what I am looking for was not
there unfortunately. Thanks anyways.

I will also try to do the environmental map that you told me, but if I want to put textured
background around a car, what would be a good way to do it?

I put some NURBS planes with hills texture, and also created a dome for the sky.
The things is that hills texture do not seem to blend with the dome sky when
reflected. Is it better if I just create one big texture image with the sky and the hill,
then put it on the dome? or Is there any better way?

Sorry everyone if I am not clear enough, but this is as far as I can get.

I appreciate your help.

TrysD
02-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Best way to get nice background is to render your geometry separately and composit it later with your background in 2D package (photoshop After Effects or else).
Well I dont know why your hills and sky doesnt blend...For reflections I suggest u to create a 100% reflective material and assign that on a ball, place that chrome ball in toyour scene then render that chrome ball close up (ball must fill the canvas). After use that rendered image as the texture for reflections (U can paint that texture in the photoshop and clear all rendering artifacts). - place that texture as image on Environment Ball node and connect that envBall to reflectedColor of Blinn material (in the hypershade) then assign that blinn to your object u want to have reflections(control reflections strenght adjusting reflectivity value of the blinn). Using that technique u can render your hills and dome on chrome ball separately and then create a nice single texture without any artifacts in photoshop.
hope that u understand the main idea how to create environment texture for your reflections.
good luck

pika
02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Thank you TrysD, it is pretty amazing solution! I'll go ahead and try that method
you just told me.

Thank you so much!

Pika

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.