PDA

View Full Version : Fur and MentalRay Problem

Pepe99
02-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi,
I have a problem, when I render my "doggie" with fur in MR (using Final gather) It has a white color, originally fur is brown-black color. When I render it by "software render" It's all seems to be ok. If anyone could help me or maybe give some sugestions I'll be very very grateful :)
I also attach two pictures:

This is renderer in MR
http://strony.aster.pl/pepe99/FurMR.jpg

And this in Software renderer
http://strony.aster.pl/pepe99/FurSoft.jpg

Thanks

Sorry for my english

Regards, Pepe.

floze
02-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Just a quick question before I start talking rubbish: Are you using maya 6.0 or 6.5?

Pepe99
02-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi and thanks for reply :)
I'm using Maya 6.0 , is there any problem with this version of Maya?

floze
02-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Not at all, but there are some different settings in 6.5 for the fur shape node. Also in 6.5 I encountered strange results with the finalgather sec. diff. bounce on.
A few tips that may help:
The specular color acts a bit different in mental ray, usually should be darker than in maya software mode.
Tint the ambient color, finalgather will gray out else. This happened to me sometimes..
Try the scene without finalgather or at least make the fur invisible to it (in 6.0 this is 'Visible In Reflections (mental ray)', in 6.5 there is a an extra finalgather cast/receive option)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Arne
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I encounterd weird overlit spots on fur using maya 6 and area lights in MentalRay. So maybe you are using MR area lights. If not than duuuuh. :)

Btw: is that a know Bug? the one I mentioned above. Does someone know?

Funny thing: the overlit-by-area-light-hairs just worked perfectly for a translucence effect on a scene which is now rendering at work. Happy accident.

-Arne

Pepe99
02-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi again,
First I want to thanks floze and Arne for reply ;)
So I experimented with this configurations that You are gave me and thats are results:

1. The first pic in this thread is when the "Visible In Reflections (mental ray)" is turned off :P

2. I make a darker Specular color = nothing changes

3. next that I try... I change Ambient color = nothing

4. I renderer the scene without FinalGather and...

http://strony.aster.pl/pepe99/FurNoGather.jpg
...the fur is ok! but the scene is to dark without FinalGather so I can't use it with out it ;)

5. I'm using 3 Spot light's, event when I deleted them the problem still is

I don't know what the hell is wrong with it! I'm siting and waiting for another sugestions ;)

Thanks

Pepe99
02-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I have an idea ;)
Is there any possible way to render scene with Final Gather (MR) except fur, and render the same scene only with fur with out Final Gather ? I hope it's make sense.

Maybe layers have such options but I don't know how to use them.
If anyone be so kind and help me with this render problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Pepe.

Ash-Man
02-18-2005, 07:07 PM
very basic answer

did u increase your samples to production quality in MR render globals

Pepe99
02-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes I did it, but its not that.
I just want to render 2 pic - one with Final Gather without Fur and the second pic (same scene, everything the same :) ) but without Final Gather with Fur "ON" (because Fur looking really fine when there is no FG :P "third pic." ) Of course I want to composite that two pic into one after render ;)

*there is no another light source (except 3 spot lights to light the fur only)

Anyway sorry for long and borring post. I know I'm grumble but I'm new to Maya and I need help like others newbie ;)

Thanks for patience

Regards, Pepe.

KimSe
04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi, Pepe

Just connect shader to the tint or base color and your fur will be colorful! (With FG only)

mortje
05-27-2005, 06:13 PM
A fairly old thread but its not worth opening a new topic when the question still isn't answered to me. I'm having the same problem where fur on a model has color unless I use mental rays, final gather. It becomes a grayscale version of the bunny with some spots on it (not important now). I can overcome the problem by combining both fg output and color output in a compositing program but I just want the final gather to work like it should.
Can anyone help me achieve this? I've searched several fora and googled for half a day only to come up with nothing.
Tnx in advance!

Nunyas
08-03-2005, 05:31 PM
So, what was the solution to this? Or was there a solution besides post process editing? I've recently started work on an environment that has a field of grass. So, I used maya fur to create this field of grass, but when I use Final Gather in MentalRay the grass comes out looking like the white fur in this thread. I only have 1 ambient light in the scene, I've tried dimming it, but the grass remains white. That is to say, even when i dim the light to the point that you can barely see the grass (so it looks like a dark mass) you can tell that it looks white through the darkness.

Nunyas
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
ermm... i may have just found a solution in the "help file" by searching "Troubleshooting Fur", but i'll have to wait til i later to try it out. It seems the fur has Intensity Multipliers, combined with Final Gather it can make the fur way to 'shiney' to the point of looking mostly white using the default settings. That and the specular highlights may be too broad... I'll post my results later when i've had a chance to mess around with the settings.

Nunyas
08-04-2005, 01:22 AM
incase anyone out there is still looking for a solution I got my grass fur to look "right" by adjusting the attributes of the fur. The particular attributes that I addusted were "Specular Color" (I made this very very dark HSV V value around 0.14), and then I cranked up the "Specular Sharpness" to 200. Turning up the "Specular Sharpness" had the greatest effect that I noticed.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing similar problems with their furs.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 01:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.