PDA

View Full Version : Help me please. creature coloring.

misledtomisery
02-16-2005, 08:12 AM
http://misledtomisery.com/images/beastcrit.jpg

please. anyone. i need help with this image. any and all comments suggestions critiques..etc.
any rock tutorials(painting rocks that is...if any) as well as the sky...and everything really. ive just been going over and over it...no idea what and how to do it. so please if you have the time. critique me. thanks.

Ilikesoup
02-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Here are a few thoughts:

Your creature appears to have been drawn in pen & ink, colored and scanned (or scanned then colored). He's got heavy black outlines. Your background appears to have been created entirely in Photoshop and has no outlines, so the picture looks fragmented.

One solution is to create a separate layer and trace your creature onto it and delete the source layer (assuming it's still separate from the background. I'd advise using purple to trace the creature, then do a fill color followed by highlights and shadows. The other solution is to use heavy outlines on the background. Just make sure that everything is done in one consistent style.

As for the rock beside him, I'd suggest breaking it up from one long piece into 3 or 4 large boulders. Think in terms of cubes and spheres with irregular edges and shade accordingly -- if your troll has bright highlights and dark shadows, make sure your boulders are done in the same way.

Hope that helps

KevinJM
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Here are a few thoughts:

Your creature appears to have been drawn in pen & ink, colored and scanned (or scanned then colored). He's got heavy black outlines. Your background appears to have been created entirely in Photoshop and has no outlines, so the picture looks fragmented.

One solution is to create a separate layer and trace your creature onto it and delete the source layer (assuming it's still separate from the background. I'd advise using purple to trace the creature, then do a fill color followed by highlights and shadows. The other solution is to use heavy outlines on the background. Just make sure that everything is done in one consistent style.

As for the rock beside him, I'd suggest breaking it up from one long piece into 3 or 4 large boulders. Think in terms of cubes and spheres with irregular edges and shade accordingly -- if your troll has bright highlights and dark shadows, make sure your boulders are done in the same way.

Hope that helps

I agree with you mate.:wise:

misledtomisery
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
thankyou guys so much. im gonna hopefully get to work on it again tonight. thanks for your time and suggestions.

BMunchausen
02-18-2005, 01:14 AM
I think one of the problems with your image is that parts of the creature itself are too dark - they read like flat black holes (like under the arms, around the knees, under the stomach). Your shadow under him too, is really too opaque and black. Shadows generally have some light in them - you could keep some descriptive detail in there in the shadows - just tone it down a little and your creature won't look like he's full of holes.

Ognus
02-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Create a layer over this monster and paint him. Use no black. Renessaince artist refused to use black lines. It was against the rules of class. Now, black can be good, especially in my kind of art, but just as a challenge, try using none. Compose shadows with darker versions of the base color, and highlights with lighter versions of the base color. Avoid black and white.

misledtomisery
02-18-2005, 08:43 AM
again. thankyou very much for the insights and suggestions. i've changed it a bit, background wise, i'll post that version soon, then start on the intergration of the creature. again. thanks for the crits everyone. i really do appreciate it.

misledtomisery
02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
http://misledtomisery.com/images/beast-2-16.jpg

heres a worked on update....i think i went to light on the lines...while too dark on the background. please crit. thankyou for any feedback.

hjalmar
02-22-2005, 03:44 AM
yea, the creature stands out a lot cause the shadows on it are not as dark as the shadows on the background, i really liked the first character colouring

maybe you could play with the shadow colour adjustments

hrmm..maybe give him toenails also? i think some nice grodey worn greenish purple toenails would spice him up a tad:)

and on another note...did you ever think of throwing a bridge over him and having some goats crossing? :D

Ognus
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
The lighting confuses me.

The rocks are light as if the sun was behind them, this would cause that cliff face to cast a shadow ahead of itself. Yet, in that little valley the monster is lit from the front, and he is casting a shadow.

It seems like there are two light sources, and that the cliff or rock wall is untouched by the light source that is lighting the creature.

I do however like the painting on this one a bit more. Your rock textures have improved and the picture is more dynamic. I enjoy the color choices and the mountains in the background add a nice touch to the setting. Overall I think this wandering beast is quite neat.

misledtomisery
02-22-2005, 06:51 PM
thankyou hjalmar and ognus.

i like the toenail idea. not sure sickly green is the right choice. but i might play with that. and no billy goat gruff either....

i see the 2 lightsource deal. and i see that with a lightsource as is on the figure, the rock facing would too have to be highlighted, not drowned in shadows. so thanks you guys for the crits. i do appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.