PDA

View Full Version : transfer texture different uv question

yznah
02-16-2005, 09:09 AM
i've got some textures on my model that i want to transfer to the same model but with different uvs. i was wondering if it was possible to "bake" the texture to fit it to the new uvs.

i don't know at all if it is useful or not, maybe the uv sets may be helpful to not do that.
thx^^

(well the other question is, how do i transfer uv of a model into a new uv set on the other model?)

littlepixel
02-17-2005, 01:08 AM
I've been trying to do just the same thing, I think.. like you apply the textures using one UV set, and then you want to export the same textures but to a different UV set, so that the actual TEXTURE gets rearranged.. in other words the final appearance will be the exact same, but it will be from one kind of mapping to another, with the UV rearranged.. is that sort of it?

yznah
02-18-2005, 01:17 PM
yes that's it, "rearranging texture with another uv set"^^
and i still didn't make it work

i already tried some stuff with texture reference objet, but nothing too

ceql
02-19-2005, 09:50 PM
hehe I was looking for something like this a while ago and oddly enough, I only figured it out after a friend showed me how to do it in a totally different application altogether (well, Lightwave) ;)

Anyway, the trick to doing in Maya6 is to bake it using mental ray ("Batch Bake (mental ray)") because it has BakeSet options that allows you to specify a different UVSet to bake to! :D

Some Brief Steps...
For say, a color map, you'd need to;

1) Have both UV sets on the same object. That is, first the old UVs that currently look good with the texture, and then also the new UVs that you want the texture to warp to. Make sure that the object is set up so that it is displaying the old UVs in the viewport, and that when it renders it is indeed using the old UVs.

2) Setup your object's shader so that it's just your texture visible at 100% illumination (easy way is to just use a surface Shader, etc. ). This is so when we bake, we don't want it to actually bake any shading!

3) Goto menu "Lighting/Shading" -> and open the "Batch Bake (mental ray)" option box. (You must have the MR plugin loaded to get this, of course :))

4) In the "Mental ray Baking options" dialogue, you can set some options to get a better bake result, output resolution, etc. So, set those things up properly depending on your model, etc. But the important part is the bottom where it has a "override mesh UV set assignments" checkbox. Make sure that it is ticked, and correctly enter the name of the UVSet that contains the new UVs.

5) make sure your object is selected, and Bake! and it should make a new texture that fits into the new UVs! It'll look weird in the viewport at first, because it'll apply the new texture onto the model, which is still using the old UVs. No matter, just set your model to use the new UVs and it should fit snugly :) Also, if you check in the UV editor, you should be able to see that the new texture we baked should correspond correctly to the new UVs.

Anyway, that works for me, though I would be interested in other methods. :D

Have fun baking!

AndersEgleus
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Excellent tip! worked like a charm.

Now, is there a way in maya by default to bake a sequence of images for animated textures, or will I have to write a script for that myself?

ceql
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
cool beans! :bounce:
yea, I don't know of an built in method of doing it for image sequences, so you may have to end up writing a quick script for it, just something that increments frames and bakes, I suppose :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.