PDA

View Full Version : Add edges slowdown as I model, help please.

[msf]
02-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Of course this question is totally newb but here goes. I start modelling with a box then add edges to eventually create my models. So everything was going smooth until I realized it was taking longer and longer to process everytime I add a edge. I am assuming there is just a history file somewhere bogging things down is there anyway to clear this history and get back to modelling or am I going to need to get used to this slowdown?

I am not experiencing this slowdown at any other time than when I hit \ to start adding edges everytime I click it takes a while to actually create the edge and allow me to create another.

Thanks for any help in advance.

back to looking through that PDF manual man I hate those things! GIMME PAPER! PAPER!

young_927
02-16-2005, 04:45 AM
yes~
on the right bottom side,, hit FREEZE, but press space bar first and select the object..
hit FREEZE or FREEZE model~

that should clear everything up~

sciics
02-16-2005, 05:40 AM
yup thts right either you hit Freeze in the "Edit menu on the right hand MCP or Freeze M if you have enveloped your moddel.... its one of the amazing thing bout xsi...

Iysun
02-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Also just a quick FYI, that immed button next to freeze, if you toggle that to on you will no longer store your history.

I usely keep immediate mode off though because its nice to have the option to go back if you messed somehting up, which i have done many-o-times :argh:

Ablefish
02-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Better that you understand what's going on though... Look up Construction History in your manual, or better yet - pop open an explorer and expand the geometry node. You'll see all of your modeling operations.

Hitting the Freeze button collapses all of those operations and you're left with an empty stack.

Freeze M will collapse only the operators at the bottom, within the Modeling Construction Mode (this may not be evident if you haven't added anything in the 'higher' Shape, Animation, and Secondary Shape Animation construction modes). This is useful if you have enveloped your model but wish to make changes to the base geometry (modeling mode) for example.

Also, if you want to collapse the stack from a certain point in the history, you can select an operator and hit freeze - this will freeze from that point down.

[msf]
02-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Ah thanks I thought it was freeze but i must have been doing it incorrectly. Learned about it in those killer 3dbuzz VTMs but couldnt seem to find it again. Many thanks for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.