PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait

hxcomg
02-16-2005, 02:34 AM
http://hxcomg.com/selfportrait.gif

This is my first attempt at any kind of digital art. It's a picture of me done using several reference pictures. I'm getting very discouraged, so I thought I'd see if anyone could give me some pointers or advice. I also need to know what to do for the background. This was done in Photoshop CS. Thanks in advance.

robinayles
02-16-2005, 03:41 PM
That's really nice - especially for a first digital painting! Something in the eyebrows...or maybe the mouth...makes you look a little surprised. :)

Critique on this depends on the type of look you were going for. This is a nice, kind of loose painterly style and I like it alot. If you were wanting a more realistic look, then I would recommend a bit more blending of your colors and more variations of shading, highlights, lowlights, etc in the hair and shirt.

Really good job! Keep up the work. The best way to learn it is to keep practising.

Ilikesoup
02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree -- I like the looseness of the paint strokes. I'd suggest adding highlights on your eyes (especially the right), hair and shirt and some shadow to your inner ear. I have no suggestions about a background -solid color is fine and red looks good with the pink tones of your skin.

BluePulse
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Well first off, forget reference pictures and use a mirror. You'll see a difference right away I believe. As your picture goes, redraw the mouth and redraw everything that you find kinda wonky. I think you did a really good job on the nose. The ear needs some attention, and the shading underneath the nose needs blending and questioning. When I say questioning, i mean question your lights and shadows, proportions and blending. Be sure to draw in the background as well. Do not use auto fills except when you initially start off. Do not get discouraged and do not end this painting as is. "Every painting has an ugly stage before it becomes our little masterpieces." The grand thing about digital is, we can make broad changes and hit control/command + z whenever we want to go back! Good luck! A great book to get your hands on is Don Seegmillers Digital character and design book. Everything you want to learn about digital painting is there.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.