PDA

View Full Version : Girl head texture - need c&c please

Nightwing
09-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Hiya.

Been working on modelling and texturing my first human head...not the most inspiring project but it's (imo) the best way for a non-pro newb like me to learn :).

Reached the stage where modelling is almost complete, still some issues with her lips for example, but I'm keen to start some hair tests, but firstly I need to get the dreaded texturing half-decent....

Here's 2 views of her:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/lavapimp/images/imogen_skintests.jpg

What I need here is c&c on the skin....rip it to shreds if it's cack, but I'd like to learn and hopefully improve this. Not shooting for total realism (I don't think I am capable of that) but at least character that bears a more-than-passing resemblance to a human.

Things I took into account: She's going to be a redhead, which to some extent defines her complexion. She's early 20's.....er that's about it :)

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

typeA
09-15-2002, 11:00 AM
not bad for a first head human heads are one of the most tricky things to do good in cg the skin needs more detail,and try useing a bumb{not to high for Gods sake} and defuse map too..i dont know how big your textures are but my best results always come from a map thats 1000 or 2000 by something giveing you more room to paint in detail also try useing photos as the base for your textures and painting off of them

Nightwing
09-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the comments.

The textures are 1024X1024 at this stage, I'm thinking of doubling that size but it'll mean repainting all of them, which I was hoping to avoid :).

At the moment I'm running a diffuse, specular colour, specular level and bump map. Is the bump not visible? Might be the compression, but I agree that I'd like to avoid having too much.

I could (and probably should) work from photographs, but I thought I'd take a bash at painting the whole thing from scratch.

leigh
09-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Hey Nightwing :)
Lovely weather we are having here in the mothercity, eh? :)

I think that when TypeA mentioned a diffuse map, he may have been referring to an actual diffusion map, and not the colour one - are you using Max or maybe XSI? In that case, you may be placing an image into the slot labelled diffuse, when in fact that is actually a colour map channel. I'm not sure how to use diffusion in XSI, but I know you can use it in Max using raytrace materials :)
Proper diffusion is rather important for skin ;)

I think that you really need to add more detail to your bump map! Especially for detail around the eyes. There is a strange crease in the one corner of her mouth... It doesn't look quite right yet. Also, add some more bump detail to the lips.

I do think that perhaps the freckles on her face are a little too large too. Bring their size down just a little :) You are definitely heading in the right direction with the skin blemishes seeing as she is a redhead. But I think that you do need to bring down the size of the freckles, as well as increase the number of them. Also, make her overall complexion a little paler. Redheads generally have rather pale, translucent complexions.

The lips colour ends a little too suddenly, unless she is wearing lipstick. Although, even then, you should try softening the edge a little bit.
Also, change the specularity on the lips - they should be shinier than the surrounding skin. IN fact, you do need to work quite a bit more on your specular map. A face has many specular tones - look at a human face, and you will see that the forehead, cheeks, tip of the nose, and the area surrounding the eyes (especially beneath the eyes) tends to be shinier than the rest. The skin just below the eyes also tends to be slightly more translucent. Also something to add to the specular map, is the skin in the area where the nostril meets the cheek often tends to be a little dry, and therefore less shiny (you could also add this detail to the colour map, as this area often tends to be a little pink).

Happy texturing!

Nightwing
09-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Thanks Leigh, great feedback, just what I needed to get pointed in the right direction.

Yes I am using max, modelled her in Maya, but I'm more comfortable with Max's texturing and lighting dialogs...I'll out grow it eventually I think (also Maya's hypershade intimidates me).

I'll experiment with a diffusion map for sure....

The bump, yes definitely more detail, I was hesitant initially about adding too many wrinkles etc around the eyes out of fear it'd age her, but I think it might give her some character....

Lips, yeah she's not meant to be wearing lipstick, so I'll address that.

Otherwise yeah it's awesome weather here today, been finding any excuse to soak up some rays outside :)

Thanks again

playmesumch00ns
09-19-2002, 03:45 PM
learn the hypershade! its sooooo sexy

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.