PDA

View Full Version : skinning ikFk leg... or anything else really.

untelon
02-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Hello. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a hand with a skinning issue. I have setup a character using ikfk blends for the arms and legs. I used the "create 3 versions of the leg, point contraint them and blend the constraint values" method. But even if I try it with a simple cylinder I get a weird behavior on my mesh. If someone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

What I am doing: Created a cylinder with a few spans, added three joints (a simple ">"). Dupped the joints twice (now I have 3). Named 1 "Master", the other "IK" and the last one "FK". Added a IK (RPSolver) to the IK joint and a locator that parents the IK. Grabbing the locator all moves well. At the default pose I opened the Hypergraph and point constrainted IK+FK to Master for each of the three joints. Now the master has point constraint nodes.

I added an attribute to the IK Locator named "ikFkBlend" that goes from 0 to 10 and set driven keyed all the point constraint values accordingly. All seems to work fine until...

I bnd the cylinder. I use smooth bind complete skeleton pretty much with the default values to the "Master" joint ONLY. I get a weird deformation.

Help?

Please?

Thanks.

Mikademius
02-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Could you post the file so we could take a look at it?

ietra
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
If you just point constrain the master joints, they will match the position of the FK/IK joints, not the rotation. You need to use orient constraints.

Unless you're doing stretchy stuff, all joint movement is generally based on rotations. So even though in IK you feel like you're moving the wrist joint, you're really rotating the elbow and shoulder.

untelon
02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I used the wrong constrain type. Orient solved the problem. Thank you very much.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.