http://www.digital-deity.net/images/u3/unreal2_thumb.jpg

DimitrisLiatsos
02-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I know...been mentioned before ...check this out

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159748

:bounce:

JA-forreal
02-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm really not down with the new characters. The seem to look a bit generic when compared to the original charcters of the unreal games. I remember how folks talked about the unreal look with the original game. I wish that signature "look" was maintained and built upon throughout the series. Oh well. Whatever sells it nowadays I guess.

Have fun!

mikefeil
02-15-2005, 09:59 AM
aw well sorry to bring up old news...but I guess all the images and the link in that post are all dead ?

sorry

DimitrisLiatsos
02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Never mend that u brought old news...just gave u a link to read more about friend :)

AA_Tyrael
02-15-2005, 04:47 PM
a)how many polygons is that model :S

b)How many frames per sec can the engine play with that model ;-)

Tommy Lee
02-15-2005, 05:04 PM
a)how many polygons is that model :S

b)How many frames per sec can the engine play with that model ;-)

a: Like a average gamemodel(5000-8000?). Just looks much more detailed thanks to normalmapping.
b: Normalmaps are the key,.. so on a newer machine average speeds.

I am not a pro, but that's at least what I know. About normal mapping ask some pro in here!:D

Rabid pitbull
02-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Not sure where I read it but the above characters are not necessarily for unreal tournament, but for another project using the engine. Might have seen this at beyondunreal.com.

Arne
02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
The funny thing is, that this game will one day be looked upon as we look upon the first doom today.

I don't know I often i thought to myself: "okay, this game looks so good! no need to push game engines any further. That's enough. I don't need better looking games."

....I just remember the animations I have done on my amiga a long time ago. And now even the smilies on cgtalk look better. Yes I was a crappy animator back then.

Lordiego01
02-15-2005, 07:27 PM
No matter how good graphics get, we won't get to far until they start "coming out from the screen". Holodeck anybody?

g8ff
02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
the image looks great, but i'll hold my enthusiasm until i see more than one character running around in an actual game environment, not some tech demo. unreal2 engine promised lots of cool stuff too, but very little of it was actually feasible in the enigine. our coders had to go and do most of the good stuff themselves, and none of it was very practical for most game machines at the time anyways. but hey, hopefully i'm wrong, cause it looks great.

lovisx
02-15-2005, 08:47 PM
coming out of the screen reminds me of 3d imax polar express, if we could only play video games in imax

Pyke
02-16-2005, 07:29 AM
coming out of the screen reminds me of 3d imax polar express, if we could only play video games in imax

A mate of mine 'borrowed' his company projector when Doom III came out, and we played it in his Surround Sound lounge. If you EVER get a chance to do that...DO IT!!

Knotter8
02-16-2005, 08:08 AM
ah, cool.

yet, the artistic directions looks like the typical sci fi monster in a post nuke war world with some Gothic inspired architecture.

If the engine is really THAT great, they should make it have a try at a more realistic world
with more realistic characters ; i wanna see if it'll still seem as 'impressive' as now.

Revelation 23
02-16-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm really not down with the new characters. The seem to look a bit generic when compared to the original charcters of the unreal games. I remember how folks talked about the unreal look with the original game. I wish that signature "look" was maintained and built upon throughout the series. Oh well. Whatever sells it nowadays I guess.

I'm in the same boat. Sure, games look downright amazing these days, but that's not neccessarily a good thing. I still play Unreal from time to time, and only Half-Life comes close to Unreal in my book (and passes it by in some aspects). Unreal was one of those games that made you go slack-jawed, and not just because of the graphics.

Later engines may be able to do more, but there's something to be said for what the original Unreal and Half-Life engines brought to the table, as well as the Thief engine. I miss those days, back when gameplay was still king. Call it nostalgia if you will, but I think games were better when good looks were just a bonus, not the trump card of a title.

DimitrisLiatsos
02-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm in the same boat. Sure, games look downright amazing these days, but that's not neccessarily a good thing. I still play Unreal from time to time, and only Half-Life comes close to Unreal in my book (and passes it by in some aspects). Unreal was one of those games that made you go slack-jawed, and not just because of the graphics.

Later engines may be able to do more, but there's something to be said for what the original Unreal and Half-Life engines brought to the table, as well as the Thief engine. I miss those days, back when gameplay was still king. Call it nostalgia if you will, but I think games were better when good looks were just a bonus, not the trump card of a title.

I tottaly agree....when i played Doom III i was impressed by graphics ..scared...by music and sound effects ..but good game play and something to hold u in front of the game..naahh ...i found that only in Half - Life 2.....(my personal opinion)

Maybe every who is developing in Games Industry should think that...Not only good Graphics...Good Story and Gameplay too....

On the other hand this Normal Mapping technique and the modern Engines that support this are bringing a new era in Game play and Real Time Graphics....it's overwelming how fast technology advances ..i still remember playing the first Prince of Persia where u could count the number of pixels the main Character was..hehehe :scream:

AA_Tyrael
02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeap...but the cost of the damn engines is way too high ,which means less money to the creative division...

Pyke
02-16-2005, 12:47 PM
The cost of 3D tools is high...hasnt stopped the 'creativeness' of 3D art.

My concern comes in that, the art is taking a LOT more time to create (Hi-Res models for normal maps, separate textures, more complex AI coding, new lighting setups, etc etc etc), yet development time needs to stay 'roughly' the same, or technology will just pass the games by, and we will be left with hundreds of 'Dikitana's.'

Will games become shorter? Or will the art quaility just suffer?

Geta-Ve
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
production time will definatly start to increase.. as is apparent by the lack of gt4... (or is it out?)

Anyways, is it just me or do those 2 main new screenies look.. well... cruddy? :/ especially close up like that.. very turned off..

dont get me wrong they are still great.. but... compared to the previous demo? the arm really throws me off

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.