PDA

View Full Version : Vampiress

artfoundry
02-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Been a while since I last posted - a couple years I think.
Anyway, this is a final draft of a painting of a vampiress I've been doing in Painter 8 and Painter Classic (Classic at work, 8 at home). It's my first full painting using Painter (done some sketches/small drawings, but nothing this big). Also my first painting of a "human" subject w/o using references (well I used one to do the man's neck cuz it's in an odd pose). I did have inspiration however - got the idea after viewing some of Ray Lago's drawings of Vampirella - maybe someday I'll be able to draw close to the level of his skill...
So I'm pretty much done with the major content - just trying to polish it up. Any suggestions/comments welcome.
Time spent's probably about 15-20 hours.

http://www.artfoundry.com/vampiress.jpg

artfoundry
02-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Hmm, no one posted anything - does everyone think it's finished? Or just not sure what to say? One friend told me some more detail on the clothing might be good. He also said it didn't feel "painful" or "gruesome" enough. Though that's not really what I was going for - I was trying more for a playful, beautiful female that happened to be deadly as well.
Anyway, so I added some trim to her collar and cleaned her face up a bit.

http://www.artfoundry.com/vampiress_02.jpg

Octothreat
02-20-2005, 12:42 AM
This is looking good. A couple things that could maybe use work are the man's head, which seems a little small, and the vampire's hair, which could use a little more definition, depending on what style and feel you were going for. This just being my opinion. It has a nice atmosphere and emotion, so mission accomplished there!

artfoundry
02-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. I agree about the face - I've had trouble with that because of the odd angle and the fact that there's not much context to refer to (half his face is hidden). I think part of the problem is his mouth - I think I need to widen it some more. As for the hair, I kinda like how it is (gives her sort of a wild look), but I also see what you mean. I might try playing with it and see what happens.
Thanks!

Ognus
02-20-2005, 02:05 AM
she has no ears.

I think her face is a little stretched out width wise.

She doesnt have her eye on the prize.

artfoundry
02-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, her head is tilted down, so her hair is falling over where her ears would be. Hadn't even thought about the ears, but I supposed I could put in a hint of one on the right side. Might be a good idea - thanks.
And because we're looking down toward the top of her head, the forshortening makes her head look wide (I also gave her a rounder looking face rather than the typical model gaunt look). I think it looks right, but I could be wrong...
As for the direction of her gaze, I did that on purpose because I wanted to give her a look of playfulness, like she's teasing the viewer, saying "looks good, doesn't it?" Like she's putting on a show and not sure which she wants more, the blood or to play with her audience.
Thanks for the comments.

artfoundry
03-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Finally got around to doing some more updates - added hint of ear on the right side, shaped her hair more, cleaned up the guy's face and redid much of his mouth, chin, cheek, and hair.
Thanks to those who've made comments. I think it's looking a lot better since my first post. :)

http://www.artfoundry.com/vampiress_03.jpg

Imriela
03-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Hmm, to me it seems like the angle of her face (as indicated by the curve of her mouth and the foreshortening) would mean that the tip of her nose would be much closer to her lips--in fact, depending on how prominent her nose is, it might even hang over a bit. And I think she needs a tad more forehead for the same reasons. And (even though this has been mentioned before) his head looks too small, especially in comparison to her hand supporting his neck--moving the jawline closer to the curve of his neck muscle would probably help the scale alot.

Just my two cents--points to you for shooting for such an unusual (and indeed playful) pose!

artfoundry
03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've always wondered about the nose - I'll try lengthening it, though I don't think it should be overlapping the lips. If you look in the mirror, you'll see that with that kind of expression, the nose does stop short of the lips. My nose isn't super big, and there's still some space between the tip of the nose and top of the lip.
As for the forehead, yeah, I think you may be right about that too - didn't even notice that.
Concerning the guy's face, I don't know - it's hard to say. It does seem slightly off, but difficult to tell exactly what it is. But I'll try your suggestion.
Thanks for the input.

Walrusmann
03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
your peaice looks really goos my friend i would suggest however as far as the guy goes his head definitly looks to small i think if you raised the bridge of his nose a little bit then put some highlight to suggest that he has hair at the bottom of his head in the lower left corner cause right now it seems that his head stops short at his neck hope this helps good luck man

brenly
03-08-2005, 10:33 PM
remember the eyes are on the halfway mark of the face, so in your picture it looks like the the eyes are to far up the face. As was mentioned, not enuth forehead. Also where is the light coming from?? the way youve lit the scene the light should be coming from the guys chest.

Walrusmann
03-09-2005, 07:20 PM
i didnt notice that but he's right

artfoundry
02-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Been a while since I worked on this piece. I redid a lot of the lighting and moved her hairline up a bit. I think I'm getting ready to be done with this and move on to something new, but if you have any comments on something for me to fix, go right ahead.

Vertrucio
02-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Where is the light in this scene coming from? You really need to decide this as faces are really defined by how they're lit.

You facial features aren't properly drawn in perspective. You're drawing them as though you're viewing her straight front, but in the image her head is clearly tilted downwards towards her victim. You have a little bit of perspective on the mouth and nose, but not enough.

The eyes you have right now are just icons, go look at the structure of the eye and lids and you'll see that the eyes you've drawn right now look nothing like real eyes. They work because we identify eyes as that particular almond shape with the iris and pupil. At that angle, the upper lid of he eyes would wrap around the eyeball in such a way that it'd have only a small upward bend, or even a downward bend. The lower lid would be much more pronounced in its curvature. You might even see the outward curvature of the cornea. Oh, and they're also much too big on the face. Tone down the eye lashes, not even mascara ads have that many lashes. If you overdo these, she begins to look more like a hooker than a sultry vampress.

Remember that the nose actually comes forward out of the face.

You wouldn't see as much of an opening of the mouth from that perspective, and much less of the upper teeth. You'd also see a lot more of the upper lip and almost nothing
of the upper lip, the two would also be closer.

In general, draw the head forms first to place them in perspective, then start painting them in. For an image that relies so much on perspective you can't afford to noodle this around in photoshop until you think it looks right.

artfoundry
02-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey
Thanks for the comments. I agree with some of them, but not all. I looked again at some references (when I painted this I used my reflection the most as a reference, but I think things got muttled/shifted over time as I made change after change).
The eyes weren't so much too big as they were too far apart. And the cheeks/chin weren't quite right either. So I restructured those. I also did tone down the eyelashes a bit, reshaped the eyes and mouth a bit, and brightened up the nose to make it pop out more.
On the lighting - it's supposed to be coming basically from the lower right corner - as from a campfire that's in front of the man's body.
What I didn't agree with was your comments about the eyelids, lips and teeth. The top eyelid wouldn't have a downward curve unless the lid was closed. The lids follow the direction the eye is pointing - yes they would flatten out some, but not change direction. As for the mouth, the upper lip would still be visible (at least the middle of it) because it's pressed and flattened/widened against the teeth, and the teeth would be visible because the lips are pulled back. That being said, I did adjust the mouth a bit as I said above.
Anyway, thx again - I think this looks even better now.

Vertrucio
02-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I forgot to mention one big thing about her expression. The facial muscle you use to bring up the upper lips into the typical vampire snarl also lifts up the lower eyelid along with the cheek. This would narrow her eyes and give her a more malevolent look. Do it in the mirror, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Now that you've explained the lighting, I think it's a very good idea, but perhaps you can tone down how bright the scene is? By using an overall dim ambient light, combined with that cool moonlight coming from above and the warm campfire lighting, it'd really accentuate the creepiness of such a scene. Right now there just seems to be way too much pure white light on her face, it reminds me of flash photography.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 06:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.