PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft and Quebec to Create GameDev Courses

RobertoOrtiz
02-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Quote:
"Just a week after Ubisoft announced (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/01/news_6117649.html) it received a $4 million grant from the Canadian government to create a 1,000-person game-development studio in Montreal, the French publisher says it will also establish a school. The new training institute will be known as the Ubisoft Campus, and it will prep future developers in production, programming, 3D animation, 3D modeling, and level design. The campus will be located in Montreal"

>>Link<< (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/11/news_6118461.html)

-R

Ewan Lee
02-15-2005, 04:22 AM
yeah guys and girls!

come join the family!

pogonip
02-15-2005, 09:31 AM
That will be a very good investment for them ! Being trained and going right to work at the place that is training you ! Kinda like the program Digipen has with Nintendo

Madhat
02-15-2005, 02:11 PM
hhmmmm...interesting.

I like this idea a lot, and like I've said in other posts, it's all good when it comes to job creation, but.....A part of me wonders if there's a bit of "signing your soul away" here.

A little scenario:
Say you take the courses which I am supposing will be paid by the students, since it is a school, not a on the job training center (there was no mention of cost in the article). After taking said courses, are the students free to go work wherever they want? Or, are they forced to go to Ubi for x number of years? And if they are forced to go to Ubi, are they perhaps losing out on potential starting wages since Ubi knows they have a small army of people coming in guaranteed, and so can fix lower starting wages? If they do fix starting wages, does that undermine the competition? Which in turn may affect the industry city wide? If the students pay for said courses, should they not be allowed to go wherever they want?

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist, nor am I usually suspicious of corporate activity. But I think that the quote:

"With this major development project, we are reconfirming our educational commitment to provide support for the talent of tomorrow while allowing us to reach our goal of creating 1,000 new jobs in Montreal by 2010"

creeps me out a bit. Not sure why.
man, I gotta go put my tinfoil hat on, I seem to be running ahead of myself.

mummey
02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
This is really starting to bug me...

Everytime I hear about a new game-dev school or program, I NEVER hear the production or running a business even mentioned! Without any production or business training, they are only encouraging EA's, Eido's, and Ubisoft's behavior to continue (ala big studios swallowing up small one's for their IP.)

Ewan Lee
02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
This is really starting to bug me...

Everytime I hear about a new game-dev school or program, I NEVER hear the production or running a business even mentioned! Without any production or business training, they are only encouraging EA's, Eido's, and Ubisoft's behavior to continue (ala big studios swallowing up small one's for their IP.)

I guess you make your point but for that kind of eudcation, you`d probably better off going to a business school... and anyway working hard a few years, setting up a small studio, proving your worth and creating popular franchises to sell them off for millions of dollars to a major corporation, IS, a very profitable business plan...

I would like to point out that since Ubisoft is getting government funding, it would have to set up a proper academic institution... And yes you`d probably get paid "less" but you would be a junior indeed and on the other hand even EA is planning to fatten its ranks with students (75% or their hiring).

I`d like to see it like a good chance to get training from the best people from the industry and get a shot to work for one of the best studios in the world... Seriously guys how many Splinter Cell or Prince of Persia have you seen around?

Peace.

mummey
02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Ewan Lee: I agree with your points. I just wonder about the chances that anyone coming out of these programs would be able to handle a production, lead or even management position.
(member.php?u=7151)

Ewan Lee
02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Ewan Lee: I agree with your points. I just wonder about the chances that anyone coming out of these programs would be able to handle a production, lead or even management position.
(http://member.php/?u=7151)

AHHAHAHAAH!

I`m sorry... If you are out of school, there is no f@*$%Łg you`d get anything other than junior... in the industry the only way is to prove yourself with YEARS of actual production experience, shipped titles, and the respect of your peers and coworkers.

Seriously, in the Montreal studio are working some of the best artists in the world, go and check some of the posts in this and other forums... they are art directors, leads and concept artists here...

There are modelers (not leads, not even seniors) with years of experience, how could someone straigth out of school even dream of being their lead...

Seriously there are people outside lining up for a job here... If Ubsoft is going to need 1000 more people in the next 5 years it would be reasonable to assume that the classes won`t be too big (maybe 30 students?!?) and that if you get in ( and I repeat IF ) and you perform well, you are most likely to land a job in the studio... Since they will train you to fit their needs, on the other hand It`s not free lunch for Ubisoft either, since they will be taking off people from production and dropping them in classrooms...

All I can say, it`s a very good chance for tanlented people who want to give it a try.

Signal2Noise
02-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Commercials are already airing on TV about this. The CG market will soon be saturated with wanna-bes holding diplomas. Be afraid. Be very afraid! :eek:

asparapani
02-16-2005, 03:01 AM
It is generaly a good idea for the montreal community. However I am uncertain that potentialy this is a reciepe for biased "post graduate selection " and catering the course outline to reflect the UbiSoft model of artistic taste and conducting business.

Analog-42
02-16-2005, 03:24 AM
this is cool.. i live an hour away and plan on moving to montrealy next year to begin school.. some good news for me..

PhilOsirus
02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
But if Electronic Arts buys Ubisoft, you can say goodbye to it all! That would make a lot of people angry.

bentllama
02-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Commercials are already airing on TV about this. The CG market will soon be saturated with wanna-bes holding diplomas. Be afraid. Be very afraid! :eek:

what do you mean 'soon be'? this is already an epidemic.
the industry is currently oversaturated with individuals carrying a weak diploma, horrible folio and a false sense of security that their school gave them...

there are too many 'cookie cutter', 'revolving door' schools out there jumping in on the CG bandwagon just to rubber-stamp a diploma for profit.

it is unfortunate that these people get built up to have a false sense of hope, and are told that they can gain employment 'just because they went to shcool'...

I hope Ubi does this right.

mummey
02-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Ewan Lee: Here is where you and I differ. If Ubisoft is supposed to hire 1000 new people, how many are going to be production? How many are going to be leads or managers? Where are any of these going to come from?

-b

PS: 1000th post! :)

Ewan Lee
02-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Ewan Lee: Here is where you and I differ. If Ubisoft is supposed to hire 1000 new people, how many are going to be production? How many are going to be leads or managers? Where are any of these going to come from?

-b

PS: 1000th post! :)

uhm... maybe 10~20 new leads?!? 5 new producers?!? And the answer to your second question: not from a school... I hope you understand but I cannot say more...

-b

Maverick3d
02-18-2005, 01:15 PM
the industry is currently oversaturated with individuals carrying a weak diploma, horrible folio and a false sense of security that their school gave them...

Don't worry bentllama. There'll always be enough ostentatious veterans in the industry to block these kids from getting anywhere. Right? :thumbsup:

born2Bbad
02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Ewan...

(please ignore if you don;t care to answer these political type questions)

I was speaking to someone at Centre NAD this week, they were quite taken aback with the news of Ubisoft Campus. I understand that NAD have in the past trained many at Ubi, but were excluded in this deal. In addition I understand that the Tuition to Ubi Campus will be Free (I'm assuming to Quebec residents, due to the funding). Places like NAD are concerned that this will kill their business.

I'm also wondering what smaller game companies like Microids are thinking about all this cash that the government is throwing to Ubi, and if they will recieve any at some point...

Pinoy McGee
02-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Heh, heh....Well, someones' gonna have to do the boring, redundant work. 5,000 kettle variations in 5 weeks, anyone? Hope art director is not too picky:twisted:

bentllama
02-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Don't worry bentllama. There'll always be enough ostentatious veterans in the industry to block these kids from getting anywhere. Right? :thumbsup:

wow. I really do not appreciate your personal connotations...however, I will back up the opinions expressed by me in my previous post with a factual example.

I review hundreds of demo reels each year. I note which ones are the great ones and which ones are not a current fit for our project. I note a variety of things; if the applicant has experience, what school they went to and if the reel breathes potential and future possibilites within our team.

Last year one of the reels that crossed my desk was great. An individual from a school much like I described in my previous post had a kickass reel that showed they had some great potential and could be an asset to our team.

This 'ostentatious veteran' hired that individual. That person became, and is still, a great asset to our team.

So while less than ideal reels may be the norm from alot of the 'revolving door' schools out there, a few shining examples come out of those educational experiences. It just makes me angry and sad that some peoples' dreams can get broken. Sometimes in a weird way, because they sent their reel for me to review it, I feel am the one breaking thier dreams. It pains me that I have to set their reels aside; hoping that they continue to improve their skills and eventually find thier place within the industry.

I wish there were more schools out there that cared about the output more than the income.

PhilOsirus
02-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Places like NAD are concerned that this will kill their business.

Well they just have to be competitive and offer interesting services like any other private school does.

Ewan Lee
02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Ewan...

(please ignore if you don;t care to answer these political type questions)

I was speaking to someone at Centre NAD this week, they were quite taken aback with the news of Ubisoft Campus. I understand that NAD have in the past trained many at Ubi, but were excluded in this deal. In addition I understand that the Tuition to Ubi Campus will be Free (I'm assuming to Quebec residents, due to the funding). Places like NAD are concerned that this will kill their business.

I'm also wondering what smaller game companies like Microids are thinking about all this cash that the government is throwing to Ubi, and if they will recieve any at some point...

Uhm... I don`t know...

I`m pretty sure NAD has its share of profits by the association to Ubisoft for the past few years, since they attracted many with the promise of future employment at Ubisoft, I guess things have changed but I don`t think Ubisoft will exclusively hire from within its program... I would make sense to always be open to talented and skilled people.

Another thing is that I think the program at Ubi will be somewhat more "exclusive", probably harder to get in, and maybe to train people in game specific skills but not completely inexperienced ( giving a 3d appliacation training for traditional animator for example ). Maybe you might even have to go places like NAD or Seneca or Sheridan, get an art related diploma, and then try at Ubischool...

One thing is for sure, they value experience and traditional art training here, and since most of the time its artists hiring artists, they usually take their chances with a kickass demoreel and a good personality.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.