PDA

View Full Version : Proton Needs Help

proton
09-15-2002, 01:12 AM
In more ways then I would like to admit :)

I would like to create somehing similar to the link below and have it for:

MAX to LW
Maya to LW
Soft to LW
and so on

That way if someone is used to using Max but wants to learn LightWave they can use this cheat sheet to see what is the same and what is different.....I've had my head too deep in LW (no jokes please ) that I would be the wrong person...but it would be great of some of you that have just made the switch could help....If you are interested in taking on this task...please email me and I will make it worth your wild....

Only email me if you are willing to do a complete version of one of the apps.....I'd at least like one person per app....thanx!

This could really help new comers to LW....

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/pdf/SoftImagetoMaya.pdf

visualboo
09-15-2002, 06:59 AM
This is actually a great idea. I wish all the 3d apps had something like that.

*start something like that for max I will*

proton
09-15-2002, 07:42 AM
The first person to deliver a complete cheat sheet for each program will get a nice present in the mail from me :bounce:

I think this could be a really good addition to the LW docs!

yog
09-15-2002, 11:59 AM
A great idea.
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

mix
09-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Why hasn't any one thought of this before.
Proton, you'r a bloody genious.

Kaiser_Sose
09-15-2002, 12:29 PM
If someone supplys the text NT wants for each PDF I am sure I ca wip up a PDF and others as well

proton
09-15-2002, 05:27 PM
I actually talked about doing this when I worked at a game company......but never got enuff knowledge in other programs to pull it off....there are enuff LW users that have used or still use other packages....they would be the right person(s) to do this.....

Kaiser_Sose
09-15-2002, 06:33 PM
I take it from the link above AW made or at least had a big part of that pdf ... I mean they arent going to let what users say control how they sell their product

Thus, wouldnt it be better for NT to have a greater role in this. I am sure there are specific aspects and differences they want to illustrate

Leaving it purely in the hands of the users could lead to some major differences left out. We are talking about NT business model not some web review of 3d programs

Lizard Head
09-15-2002, 07:04 PM
>>>Kaiser_Sose<<
Nope, I dont think putting Newtek all over the documents at this time is waranted, its the users that beat the hell out of LW day to day and find out how to use the thing,,many of the cheats and work-arounds are nailed out far after a version release and takes awhile for the most common and widely used methods to be known by all.....

It has to all start somewhere,, get the word from the streets and then add to that with what you know and then refine the document before you stamp Newtek on it anywhere...

Ill be watching the MAX2LW closely to see if and how I can add to it

ALSO!!! Proton: Check your mail!!! I left Directions to the Tutorial for you to review...

visualboo
09-15-2002, 07:21 PM
I kind of agree with Kaiser. I think it would be cool to have a big ass version with a ton (if not all) features listed. The AW version Proton posted is kind of week IMO.

I don't care who's name is on it, you would just think that Newtek, AW, Discreet, Soft would have some pretty good resources to get this done.... properly.

dobermunk
09-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Thmoas from screendream.de just wrote up his experiences leaving Cinema4D for Lightwave for the German-language magazine 'digital production'. It's not a list as such, but has very solid reasoning and experiences.

If this is what you're after I can ask him if its okay to translate his text.

David

ThomasHelzle
09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Hi,

I have written the article in the german "Digi-Pro". To translate it and put it on the web, I would need to ask the publisher if that's okay.

But I have no experience with the newer versions of Cinema 4D and no longer own it, so Cinema Version 8 isn't covered at all...

Regards :wavey:

Thomas Helzle

gKay
09-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't it be better to have an net-based (forum-like) board on which would users could write in all kind 3dapp2LW-elements they know. Rather then let it do by one person per application?

You could probably receive a better consistency and a better quality of the list if you open it to the lw community. :shrug:

proton
09-20-2002, 02:49 PM
I'll start a thread and let's get started!

gKay
09-20-2002, 02:55 PM
.. or 4 threads, one for each app... *g*

proton
09-20-2002, 02:56 PM
already 4 steps ahead of u :)

visualboo
09-20-2002, 04:36 PM
I still think it be better to have a cheet sheet that could be printed. It's all about speed.

Something about getting on the net and searching for a specific topic and reading through a bunch of stuff before you get what you want just doesn't appeal to me as much.

proton
09-20-2002, 04:43 PM
I'll create the cheat sheet with the info that comes from the threads...

Mattoo
09-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Hey Proton (Captain?). How about listing the main tools that everyone here is aquainted with in LW and those of us who know the equivalents in the other packages can pipe in. It might make it easier rather than leaving those threads so open like that.

Personally I've used Max, Softmage and Maya all within the last few years on a day to day basis but I probably couldn't do a complete list because I only ever used them for specific disciplines, mostly to do with games development. And Max would have to be from memory as that was at a previous job.

Just a thought.

Lorex
09-21-2002, 10:03 AM
the first thing I'd do if I was from Newtek and I wanted Max, Maya and Xsi users to check LW out would be to add little buttons to the interface that would say "Max nav"," Maya nav" etc.. and that would automatically remap the LW navigation controls to whatever controls the new user is used to.
It seems a lot of people underestimate how frustrating it is to go from one app to another and not being able to navigate anymore.
Just a thought I had reading this thread...

proton
09-21-2002, 07:14 PM
only problem with that is that we would have to create documentation for each Nav set up....I don't see that happening anytime soon....

Everytime I learn a new program I have that first set of hurdles to jump over...then it's down hill from there...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.